FFB Update Discussion Thread (June 2021)

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by Thomas Jansen, Jun 23, 2021.

1. sloppshaa

sloppshaa Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    so i had to come on here and say i'm astonished at what sector3 have done. Completely and utterly transformed the game. I'd given up on simracing, because assetto corsa was the only game out there with decent FFB (infact, glorious FFB, supreme and still so in every way) - but because there's no competitive multiplayer in it, and simracingsystem has its own issues, i'd practically given up on simracing completely.

raceroom always had moderate physics which were playable, but was utterly let down by its FFB. I spent ages fidling around with the million sliders to try and get some kind of proper useful information and feel of what the mass of the car was doing, and each slider setting would always seem to override the other.
    i really was not expecting much at all jumping into this, but i'm completely astonished.
    It's not AC level, but i've given up on the dream that anything will ever come close to AC in my lifetime, given how terrible people generally are at driving and how nonsense most peoples opinions are, especially in simracing. We will never get a game with AC's on the limit handling experience and FFB again, it seems.
    But raceroom is now easily......by some margin, 2nd best - which, given AC's lack of ranked multiplayer, basically makes it first.
    Playing the 911 GT3 at Silverstone, it now conveys precisely what the car is doing as it transitions into oversteer on trail braking. Under braking, the wheel lightens up letting you know you've locked the wheels or approaching threshold braking. Now it doesn't have that (fairly useful) but BS effect of the steering suddenly getting lighter if you overturn and understeer, it remains meaty and you now feel a gentle vibration. It's not AC level but the fact that there's something there is frankly good enough.
    It's like they've taken the best elements of all the previous FFB sliders and now mixed them into something that works in harmony together perfectly.
    One of the biggest issues i had pre-update was that there'd be hardly any counter-torque force, when there was rear traction loss. It used to be really weak, now it's a lot more pronounced and obvious, and i can now drive with my fingertips a lot more, letting the car flow and reacting much more to the FFB, than the visuals. Which is a massive step in the right direction.

The FFB actually now exposes some of the downsides in R3E but i can live with that, the car dynamics and ability to control some kind of slip angle is still better than all the other sims out there (except AC of course). For e.g. the F1 V10 car does weird things in oversteer where it turns into AMS2 a little bit (but not as bad).

and the best part is it all just worked. I have a 20nm OSW. EVerytime Raceroom has updated in the past something weird has happened and i've had to fiddle about to get FFB back. This time i updated in steam, jumped in, everything just worked straight away. No fiddling with any FFB. All effects off. I run virtually no damping (unless a game feels like its breaking my wheel, like rfactor 2 kerbage assault). It all just works, and feels right.

The only improvements i'd say would be to make the dynamic range of the FFB even more obvious, so it somehow gets to AC level, but this is asking too much as AC was a gift sent from a master race.
    It's difficult to describe in proper detail and language what the FFB is like now, these are my first impressions and i think i'll make a video and do a more detailed analysis of exactly what is being felt through various car dynamics, understeer, oversteer, transition, under braking etc....

but for now. Well done sector3.

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Michael L

Michael L Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    If I understand correctly, the FFB meter is the output from the game and the FFB setting in the wheel is what drives the wheel motor. The wheel is the one that takes this number and scales it based on the wheel ffb setting.
    For ex: if your set your wheel ffb to 90. Then it will drives the motor to 90 when the game told it to output 100.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. skswat

skswat Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    Are there any recommended driver settings for Fanatec DD2 ?
    Especially I would like to know if LIN - FFB Linearity should be ON or OFF to get most of current FFB.
    upload_2021-6-25_3-37-51.png
    BTW, I observe occasional "kicks" into the wheel which are quite strong, but there is no reason for them to be there. Sometimes they occur on the straight, sometimes in the corner... really random, but are very different from the normal effects.

4. Skidmark

Skidmark Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +232 / 0 / -0
    A little observation - DTM20 BMW, AI=107, Watkins Glen Short (no loop) - is the start finish line brick (or some such) as at Indy? I feel a bump when I go over it - but it feels 'late' maybe a half a second after passing over it?

5. Bulld0gUK

Bulld0gUK Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Yes I did but for me it didn't feel as good.

6. inthebagbud

inthebagbud Member

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    you could look at a couple of posts here https://forum.sector3studios.com/in...t-the-force-feedback.17146/page-3#post-224965

the kick is a known issue with the DD . Fanatec haven't managed to fix it but suggest you drive with the wheel screen on the fanatec logo - not on the menu screen.

I noticed it more with the new ffb gut now seems to have gone maybe due to my settings in post above ?

7. Zziggy

Zziggy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +73 / 0 / -0
    Am I right to assume that because of the physics-based FFB, the information you get on your wheel will obviously come only from the front wheels (and from weight transfer). And that for the rear axles we have to rely on visual cues? There´s nothing showing in the wheel?

8. Andy Kettler

Andy Kettler Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,109 / 0 / -0
    Steering is connected only to the front wheels ;) You feel a loose rear end in the wheel because of the self alignment torque of the front wheels...

9. Zziggy

Zziggy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +73 / 0 / -0
    Yes that´s what I know, although I heard of something like "steering with the accelerator pedal". :)

10. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +355 / 0 / -0
    This basically refers to how your car behaves in corners when you play with throttle. So it's more of a car handling phenomenon/technique rather than a type of force feedback.

11. Blanes

Blanes Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    Great Work Sector 3 ... Is Very Good on SC2Pro ... Thank YOU !!! :)

12. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Hi, could you share more information about the specifics of the race you encountered this in? Was it a single player race, what car(s) on which track, that sort of stuff.

Did you check the "added lap" setting in the race setup menu?

13. Thomas Jansen

Thomas Jansen KW Studios Developer Beta tester

Ratings:
    +563 / 0 / -0
    While there is definitely no direct influence of the rear tires on the FFB, the gyroscopic effect of the front tires allows you to feel exactly what the rear axle is doing in relation to the front axle. As it reacts to the yaw velocity of the car and the yaw velocity is controlled by the difference in grip between the front and rear axle. Oversteer = more grip on the front than rear = high yaw velocity = more 'self-aligning' forces from the gyroscopic effect. It is in fact such a strong effect, that we could turn off all other aspects of the FFB and only leave the gyroscopic effect, and you would still know exactly what the car is doing! (yes we tried this :D ). I'd even argue that just the gyroscopic effect already beats the old FFB, though the complete package of all tire forces is better still ofcourse.

• Informative Informative x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Badgerous

Badgerous Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +223 / 0 / -0
    After some faffing about, I got mine all working last night. I had an initial ~1hr of being in that suspicious mindset of making sure everything's working, but then I just settled in and really enjoyed exploring all the content again.

Modern GT stuff feels solid, but the whole thing just comes alive when testing the older manual cars. The Gr 4 M1, Gr 5 Capri, and Porsche 962 all felt fantastic. The particular highlight that kept me up far too late was the Gr 2 Scirroco at both Bilsterberg and Zandvoort.

I'm looking forward to getting stuck in later again. :)

• Like Like x 3
    • Love it! Love it! x 2
    • Wonderful Wonderful x 1
  15. Zziggy

Zziggy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +73 / 0 / -0
    So to put it in simple words, and to see if I have understood, when the rear of the car comes around, you would feel an automatic countersteer tendency?

16. Thomas Jansen

Ratings:
    +563 / 0 / -0
    Yes, the self-aligning caused by the lateral tire forces on the front tires already does this. But the gyroscopic forces enhance this so much more, it's quicker to react and much more precise with less overshoot and less 'snapback' oversteer.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +355 / 0 / -0
    Yes.
    https://forum.sector3studios.com/index.php?threads/may-2021-dev-notes.16906/

• Useful Useful x 1
  18. Zziggy

Zziggy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +73 / 0 / -0
    I´ll try to "feel" this. Can it be that is more difficult to notice on Logitech wheels?

19. Thomas Jansen

Ratings:
    +563 / 0 / -0
    The stronger/faster your wheel, the more you benefit from it for sure, but it is still an improvement regardless of which wheel you use. The best place to feel this imo is to take an oversteery RWD car with a lot of power through the suzuka esses, or a corner like Brno t1 in a WTCR.

• Informative Informative x 1
  20. kvsn

kvsn New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The driving experience has improved massively for me since the FFB update. Latency between steering inputs and car reactions has been reduced significantly as well. Thanks a lot guys!

• Agree Agree x 3