[FIXED] 25% performance drop with new update

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jay Smizzle, Mar 31, 2015.

1. Jay Smizzle

Jay Smizzle New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    EDIT: I had just installed the new Nvidia drivers and that might have been the cause (bad installation maybe?). After re-installing those drivers RRRE appears to be running as well as it did before the update.

I just started playing the game with today's update and noticed that it wasn't running at the smooth 60 fps I was used to. Then I went to my video settings and noticed that they hadn't changed at all. Yesterday I had been adjusting my video settings to get it to run at 60 fps with vsync on and I was using the same scenario (certain car at a certain track with 21 opponents). At the beginning of the race I was able to get a minimum 57 fps and then up to 60 fps about fifteen seconds into the race. Now, after the new update, when I load up that same scenario it starts at 42 fps and tops off at about 47 after that. That's roughly a 25% drop in fps.

Is there some new graphics setting they've introduced to make the game look better that's causing this drastic performance drop? If so, I haven't noticed.

EDIT: In case anyone cares, I have an i7-3770 3.4ghz and a GTX 770 4gb.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2015
  2. MeMotS

MeMotS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,056 / 0 / -0
    Damn i hope its not the case, I am running triple screen with pretty much the same computer as you.
    It drives me crazy when it drop below 50's.
    I hope there is a simple explanation or fix.

3. Lost77

Lost77 Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Looks like nothing changed for me at least for the moment.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Wonderful Wonderful x 1
  4. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475 / 0 / -0
    Mine seema ok...triple screens here too. I did notice the stutter in Mid Ohio that I hadn't noticed before. honestly I have just put my track level of detail to low and since have avoided all stuttering issues since there is a bug with the level of detail on certain tracks. I keep most of the other settings on high. Im running an i5 4690k and r9 290 all stock.

5. 247

247 Active Member

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    Haven't tryied yet but I hope is not my case since generally I'm on 25-30fps...

6. Dale Junior

Dale Junior Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +983 / 0 / -0
    everything is ok ... I don't realize a difference ...

7. machwebb

machwebb Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +224 / 0 / -0
    Shadows have always been way to greedy imo. I can run everything on full or high, 8xAA in a grid of 24 at 80-130fps so I vsync and it looks and plays brilliant on 32 bravia. But with shadows on, it halves the fps at least. So I can't even vsync. (60hz) Contact shadows are fine and are independent from the main shadows on/off parameter, so they stay on. Since being able to vsync it's hard not to, even if I get 100+fps because the background and horizon flicker, because the TV is trying to catch up all the time. I don't mind not running shadows on because in the cockpit they still don't look that great, much better but not good enough to justify the performance drop. That said its a big step in the right direction. So for you guys struggling with fps, I can recommend running shadows off but leave contact on.

8. Keith(Jersey)Horner

Keith(Jersey)Horner Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    I'm glad it's not just me. I use a 970, with a 4790k. I'm noticing that no matter what I can't get over 45fps, before I was well over 60 at all tracks. The last update before this one really improves performance this one made it worse then what it was before. I just use the preset high setting.

With that said, bring on the Cadillac..

Last edited: Apr 1, 2015
  9. n01sname

n01sname Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +956 / 0 / -0
    I shut off shadows as well and put contact shadows up to 16 (while there has been no big difference fps wise with shadows on or off - just looks horrible with sh. on). As I only run a phenom 955 Quadcore and a MSI GTX 650, I wonder if it is indeed hardware related with you guys who have way more potential than me = I always managed to keep 60 FPS on 1920 res and medium gfx settings in general, up to 23 opponents with no drop except for a few tracks where I get a slight stutter.
    Didn`t check it out intensively after update (with FPS counter) but it seems to run smooth like before....
    Btw. I definitely like the look much more without shadows on - cause away from that it all looks very nice specially with diff. times of day.
    More to come....

10. Lost77

Lost77 Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Here are my video settings, I have not seen any FPS drop yet. But we can think about the game asking more power from the pc, don't know, I am not an expert I usually let the games decide which settings are best. Still running between 100 and 120 FPS during a single player race.

Attached Files:

11. ::SKRO::

::SKRO:: Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +972 / 0 / -0
    OP I noticed (even if not that much) the same issue. Tried an offline race with Monza and the Zakspeed :p and I've experienced a lot of stuttering (especially in the "trees sections") which I didn't have before.
    Gonna try lowering my settings (which I didn't touch and it was running fine in the last build) and see what happens

i5 4670 3.4ghz, 760 GTX 2GB, 16GB RAM

12. n01sname

n01sname Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +956 / 0 / -0
    Yes especially issues with tree sections I can confirm (>>Moscow) - there once was a major "tree" lag at RR Hillclimb (both Lakeview and RRHC) but guess its gone (??)....(long time since I ran a sesson there)

13. 247

247 Active Member

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    Done a race today and it fortunately seems I'm not affected by this problem...i should check by the way with the steam fps counter because to me seemed even smoother than before...(apart when someone is entering online that completely blocked the game for a few seconds)

14. FuzzyFassbender

FuzzyFassbender Member

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    I'm not seeing any frame-rate loss with this release. I also did extensive testing last night trying various graphic setting combos to see how far I could push but still maintain 60 FPS. To me two of the biggest hits come from shadow level and motion blur. I ended up with shadows on high and blur off. Anything less than shadows on high doesn't look good to me so its high or off.
    Triples - 5860x1080 with single GTX 980.

15. Zboubi

Zboubi New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    i confirm Moscow big drops fps stuttering first corner(50-70 fps) with 23 opponents other maps i run 70- 100 fps, and still no sli support..............

16. Jay Smizzle

Jay Smizzle New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Turning shadows off gave me a 25 fps boost but I find it unacceptable that I have to now play with shadows off to get a smooth 60 fps when just before the update I could do it just fine.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Cosmic

Cosmic Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    I felt like I lost some FPS as well and noticed some minor stuttering. I ended up turning off car shadows and reducing the contact shadows still keeping normal shadows at high and think I'm good now. With that said I think the game does look much better now.

18. James Cook

James Cook Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    Had a quick drive last night and didn't notice any performance drop. Need to test further but FPS seemed good.

PC specs in sig.

19. heppsan

heppsan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    I have lost some fps on the starting line + first corner, from 58-65 to 45-55.
    Then it goes up to normal again 70-85 fps.

Asus Rog G751JY - 16 GB Ram - GTX 980 4 GB.

20. RomKnight

RomKnight Active Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    I'm locked to 60fps with vsync but yesterday driving around with a friend whenever smoke kicked in (with just two of us) I got really heavy stuttering due to performance hit.

Guess, I have to set particles setings lower and/or take AA down. :(