Question Flickering/moving shadows

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by The Iron Wolf, Apr 16, 2015.

1. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +130 / 0 / -0
    I am wondering if anyone found how to make shadows from overhead objects (like banners) look better? Is there setting combination to help?

Shadows look good in screenshots, but in motion they move, appear/disappear, sometimes flicker. My situation:

GPU: HD6990 Crossfire Off. Recent driver.
    Resolution: Single display 1920x1080
    Game settings: Vsync on, everything maxed out, except: shadow split, motion blur speed and blur quality are left at default. I believe, 6, fast, and medium accordingly.
    AA: 8xMSAA
    Catalyst profile: everything default, except texture filtering: high quality. And, Crossfire set to disable.

Here are some screenshots from Oschersleben. Note how same shadow changes between 2nd and 3rd screenshot.

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg

2. machwebb

machwebb Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +224 / 0 / -0
    I'm running shadows off cause of issues with them. With shadows on high or lower and split on...cockpit shadows are looking pretty bad and flicker like mad.

Look like the attached. You're not alone.

Attached Files:

3. machwebb

machwebb Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +224 / 0 / -0
    Just tested again, much better, could have been something I did but anyway, Shadows on High, Car Shadows On, Split On, Contact 32. Yes a big drop in performance but luckily I can just handle it with V-Sync. Admittedly this is more to do with Cockpit shadows.

Last edited: May 8, 2015
  4. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +130 / 0 / -0
    Thank you for your inputs, I'll compare your settings to mine when I have time, to see if they make difference (I believe I am running with same settings, except 6 split shadows). I find myself being mostly distracted by shadows flickering on track surface, in motion, and don't pay that much attention to cockpit shadows, although they do look somewhat corrupt.

5. Arthur Spooner

Arthur Spooner Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432 / 0 / -0
    You know that with F12 you can make screenshots in game? ;)