FOCAL POINT R3E

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Heath, Feb 7, 2019.

1. Heath

Heath Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +136 / 0 / -0
    I think we can all agree as to there are not many games that have pushed the outer limits of DX9, I know R3E has! To the point where a shift is well over due. I really don't think there is huge discussion required as to what that would be as i'm sure the Dev's already know whats coming..I think more to the point would be a engine up-grade is required sooner rather than later. I would say just voice that you would like that to be focal point. The more people that respond will surely see our cause heard..;):D

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Paul Darke

Paul Darke Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +249 / 0 / -0
    Would have to say that I agree with @tex-548. It still looks very good BUT. How much more can be extracted before things start to go wrong. For me I think a move to DX11 would be a logical step. Not sure that UE4 is such a good option at this stage. I have no idea how much work would be involved in a move to DX11 but I think the effort would be well worth it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. benoityip

benoityip Active Member

Ratings:
    +32 / 0 / -0
    From end user point of view, the sooner the better.

From dev point of view, whether the tools for developer (third party, library, ease of coding, mainteinance) is mature enough.

You don't want to see spaghetti code.

Having said that, I am sure they are working on some foundation work, such as making the graphics engine loosely coupled with the physics engine.

This has been discussed before.
    https://forum.sector3studios.com/in...ngine-4-in-the-future.7323/page-4#post-170570

4. MattStone

MattStone Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +169 / 0 / -0
    I'm all for a move to DX11 but my fear is the work load to change over is too much for this small studio and that would halt any further release of new cars and tracks.....the wait may be worth it but it also means they may loose any traction (pardon the pun) they have gained in new users growth over the last few months.

I just wish there was someway they could triple the size of their development team. This game has the potential to dominate the market if they could just get the work done.

Heck I'd pay $100 for an updated R3E but I'd bet a lot of users would expect it for free....which wouldn't be realistic financially

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Heath

Heath Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +136 / 0 / -0
    A DX11 upgrade would take them as long as it takes them to put a track together.. just saying ...:)

• Disagree Disagree x 3
  6. Naptic

Naptic New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I'd like to see a new look over a new car right now.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Arcson

Arcson Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    Just out of curiosity, what benefits does DX11 bring despite better graphics? I mean, does this allow to implement some additional features which are out of reach with DX9?

8. Turtle Power

Turtle Power Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    If this is about to be able to have day nigh weather crap. I'll pass

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Turtle Power

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    ...and how long does it take to put a track together

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +790 / 0 / -0
    this one has parts of my greatest fears for r3e contained within .........
    yep its true DX9 is old , does it look worn out , not sure ....
    what we do need is more light sources , day/night transfer this is true
    weather , this is another question again , as ive seen so many league races empty at the first sight of rain

how do we do this
    i hope and pray that we dont go UE4; as i dont want to lose everything that is fantastic that we have , physics , ffb etc and after seeing the games that have used this that gather dust on my hd , because they are shit in feel , and immersion
    so moving up to dx11, i have no idea what this involves , building/updating our/a graphics engine

an inbetween solution , ..fix the light sources an then add something like the sol mod ?

i just want to keep the feel of the game , its flavour ... not just update and get another vanilla game

Andi

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Like Like x 7
  11. Turtle Power

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    Time and time again I see people (including myself) getting sucked into "NEW THINGS ARE BETTER, WE NEED THIS BECAUSE EVERY OTHER GAME HAS IT!". Just like a sheep where one must have it and the rest follow.

Why changing something that is rock solid? You can bash me for this comment but I think I am right. We have seen this before when a little update from R3E in DX9 brings a number of other issues (luckily solved quickly), and can you imagine how many potential issues could be found in DX11.

Finally, if DX11 is something that we absolutely MUST have, can anyone explain in details?

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Tuborg

Tuborg Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +457 / 0 / -0
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. Arcson

Arcson Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    The more little sheeps migrate to R3E the better for R3E I guess. What R3E lacks now is a wider audience as it clearly results in more income. And more income clearly helps developing the sim further and faster

• Like Like x 2
  14. Turtle Power

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    I agree, just need to be managed carefully .

15. pixeljetstream

pixeljetstream Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +412 / 0 / -0
    That is not true. If it was, it would have happened already. This is not about swapping out one api for another, it's about restructuring the entire (graphics) engine to be able to use the new apis to their full potential.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
  16. RLM Simon

RLM Simon Member

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    TBH, the game looks great. It is easy to run on the oldest of hardware.

But why settle for DX11, when DX12 is becoming more optimised, or even Vulkan which is multiplatform, which could open up more doors in the Console market. Which could bring a bigger player base and some cross platform online racing.

(Microsoft are working hard on bringing more Xbox exclusive games to the PC, making them cross platform. As well as Xbox live cross play with Nintendo, Android, IOS, and PlayStation.
    So the future for a bigger player base across a host of games is possible.)

Personnally, my only gripe, is the marketing structure of the game, which puts a lot of people off, as from the face of it, the game looks very costly.
    But a bit of research and you can grab the entire content for a good amount.
    So instead of making people jump through hoops, from one site to buy VRP's to redeem them on another site... Make it clearer and more user friendly by scraping the VRP's and give the discount to the full content on the main game page.

At current it is £52 with the VRP's and you can get a further 5% discount if you hunt around. But making potentially new customers see the prices on offer in the game store, puts people off, and for those that are clued up, making them jump through hoops to buy the game with VRPs is bad marketing, especially for people that have a slight disability.

Sector 3 have a great product, and I recommend the game to all my members in my community, but everyone says the same thing "It's too price on the face value" - But once I educate them that they can get the whole content for the discounted price, they become interest, and 9/10 they buy the full content.
    So the marketing side of things needs a major overhaul.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. pixeljetstream

pixeljetstream Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +412 / 0 / -0
    Vulkan is getting increasing interest, Google maintains a HLSL 2 SPIR-v backend and more and more game developers are picking it up. However it's not so much about the consoles anymore, than it is about cloud gaming (EA, MS, Google, NVIDIA, Sony etc.). All major companies invest into this (netflix for gaming) and linux means companies can avoid the costs of paying MS for windows licenses. It may be years away from mass market, but imo it will happen eventually (too many benefits for the companies).

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. RoccoTTS

RoccoTTS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +534 / 0 / -0
    This is very important !!!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. MattStone

Ratings:
    +169 / 0 / -0
    ha ha that one sold me on a DX11 update LOL

20. MattStone

Ratings:
    +169 / 0 / -0
    I agree...they need to market it in a different way because people don't realise that you by the game once and then DLC's as you want them that are offered at what I feel is very very reasonable prices (no more then a big mac every couple of months)

• Like Like x 1