For J-F's a jolly good fellow!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GooseCreature, Jul 13, 2021.

1. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    Just a quick thankyou to J-F and his dodgy nVidia friend for all the help with the long term RR issues I've been having. They are now well and truly cured and I'm back to over 100fps, Whoop Whoop!
    Now for others who've had graphical issues I can enlighten you into what was found to be causing it. I have an old Asus Haswell Mobo the Z97pro. In bios all looked well and according to the software I was using, all in the graphical department was A ok, yet in RR and only in RR I was getting huge frame loss, stuttering and massive fps drops. Well it turns out my BIOS or Windows was giving out the wrong information and reporting that my PCI-E slot was running at 16X, when it turns out it was not but running at 2X. Word up for GPU-Z that actually detected this while all others failed to. So if you are having issues like mine, do make sure everything is doing what it is supposed to and don't believe just one piece of software, it's sometimes the simplest of things! Cheers again @J-F Chardon you're a diamond!

• Like Like x 10
    • Wonderful Wonderful x 7
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    We all celebrated this news when we heard it. Glad you are back in the game!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    What was the actual fix process? Maybe it would be good to put it as a sticky in the support section on the forum.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    There was no process, it's purely a number being misrepresented by the BIOS, which in turn Windows and most other software was also getting wrong. GPU-Z reported that my PCI-E slot was running at 2X, where the BIOS said it was 16X. I dismantled and cleaned the entire PC, taking special care in cleaning the PCI-E slot with a small, soft brush and mild alcohol solution. I just upped the graphic settings to max on everything bar the rear view, last night and getting way over 100fps, happy as a Sandman (whatever a Sandman is).

• Like Like x 1
  5. MattStone

MattStone Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +169 / 0 / -0
    [​IMG]

God I wish I kept mine:(

Last edited: Jul 15, 2021
  6. Manuel Staedel

Manuel Staedel Active Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Are that the part, you mean?
    [​IMG]

7. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    So do you mean it was kind of like throttling back a CPU on overtemp and after cleaning it reported the true value again?

8. n01sname

n01sname Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +956 / 0 / -0
    Indeed, I once had an issue where I tought my mobo or HD was broken, even bought another HD but the problem remained and I was about to throw the whole machine out of my window. In the end after examining literally every part and screw it was the HD connector cable where the connector itself had a micro fracture, almost invisible to the naked eye :rolleyes: