Released Formula RaceRoom Junior

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by KW Studios, Feb 11, 2016.

1. James Cook

James Cook Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    It's not a Formula Vee experience if that's what you're after. Still a good, fun car though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. rubenforos

rubenforos Active Member

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    One word: PERFECT

• Like Like x 1
  3. jayblue

jayblue Active Member

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    I thought that this car looked too glued down in the videos that have been posted too. Then i test drove it and thought it had potential so i bought it.

Just tried my first race in it at Euro Speedway. The car is more interesting to drive than the videos suggest even in standard trim. After some mild setup tweaks, light strengthening the rear arb and raising the rear ride height slightly the car is very lively and dynamic to drive. It certainly feels like a Formula car with no wings

• Like Like x 4
  4. Metalogic

Metalogic Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    Just took it for a quick spin, seems quite fun, shame I'm not able to use a proper gearbox with my controller, am sure it would be more fun with one. As others have reported, the wheels do sometimes look a little odd, appearing not always to touch the ground, but it's not a deal-breaker. Would be nice if Sector 3 could do something about this, though.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Orisa

Orisa Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +120 / 0 / -0
    I love her.
    For the first time that this kind of formula racers so goes as I expect.
    Many Thanks Sector 3 Studios. With all this perfec content, one knows not at all what one should first go. :D

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Not Lifting Off

Not Lifting Off Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    Just had a massive anti gravity moment on Nords, 1/2 - 3/4 way round engine started screaming, car flew into the air barrel rolling, summersaults and spinning, feet off the pedals, car settles, engine still screaming but only ticking over according to the tacho, engage 1st gear pull away, rephrase that, i took off, happened about four times in a row, settle car drive and it just took off going crazy.
    Went to check the replay but there isnt one!

7. Dale Junior

Dale Junior Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +983 / 0 / -0
    first impression: awesome car with great physics and good sound … the funniest open-wheel car which I have ever driven in a sim since 1998 :D … well done guys :cool:

• Like Like x 2
  8. rad

rad Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +458 / 0 / -0
    So maybe I'm doing something wrong, because I'm not really impressed. Even with insanely oversteering settings. Still feels to much stable on exits, unless there is a bump or curb. But that could be expected with low power and slicks.

Gonna give it another go, tho.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. mmaruda

mmaruda Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +95 / 0 / -0
    The car is awesome and behaves very well, I'd say it's on par with similar cars in other sims (including the Skip Barber in rFactor 2). It's very fun, very forgiving, but also forces you to respect its limits. Also, great how the AI handles it, they drive in a very safe and respectful manner - I actually managed to lap them since I set the difficulty quite low and they did pull over to let me through. It's the first time I see such a thing executed so well.

Thanks to Sector 3 for making my favourite racing sim even more favourite. Now... Where is my GTO Mustang?! :)

• Like Like x 1
  10. mr_belowski

mr_belowski Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
  11. goldtop

goldtop Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    Good fun car. Reminds me of the F1600 in Netkar which is a real compliment. Ran a few laps and it caught me out a couple of times and seemed very believable to me.

Something definitely amiss with the tyre/road contact though. Maybe someone put in the wrong tyre diameter?

12. mr_belowski

mr_belowski Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    blimey, having spent half an hour with it and tweaked the setup a little (just a click less front ARB and a click more rear to loosen it up) this really is the absolute nuts. It doesn't feel planted *at all* when you're ragging it. Racing the AI at Zolder is a proper white knuckle ride, just the way it should be. Bloomin love it, well done S3, you guys should be *really* proud of this

[edit] using an h-shifter and forcing myself to use the clutch and heel-toe just adds to the feeling of barely controlled mayhem :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Wonderful Wonderful x 1
  13. Not Lifting Off

Not Lifting Off Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    You can see that in the Brands vid posted earlir.

14. heppsan

heppsan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    No, It's not a Formula Vee..
    But it's a fun little car, with really nice looks and sound, Love the swooshing wind @Anthony Monteil!
    (the contact shadows of the wheels are sometimes missing though)

But I feel as it's a bit to planted and grippy, you have to really push it hard to get it to be treacherous (even with min ARB front / max ARB back + other settings to make it loose up).. .
    Unless you don't watch out for curbs or shifting in a midle of a turn that is! ;)
    [​IMG]

I'm basing this strictly on footage, but looking at clips of the Formula Ford being driven and comparing that to my own steering input, I can see that the real drivers really have to work that wheel and counter way more than I need to.. .

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Gerbuho

Gerbuho Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +264 / 0 / -0
    Purchased but haven't tried it yet (I'm at work). ;)
    I'm glad to read that it's not like the Vee, I don't like that one. :p

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Blanes

Blanes Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    I stiffened the springs and upped the ride height and is good fun ! :)

Like everyone also noticed the floaty wheels & sometimes missing shadows are only small glitches of an otherwise brilliant little race car.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Beaware

Beaware Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    Very good job, tank you Sector3 ;)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Skidmark

Skidmark Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +232 / 0 / -0
    I agree with everyone else that this is a REALLY fun car to drive.

A very small quibble - as it's fictional I would have thought it was a great opportunity to create a field of 40-50 cars to race with.

Now THAT would be a hoot!

• Like Like x 1
  19. digitizer

digitizer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +117 / 0 / -0
    Its not only very fun to drive, but i think its one of the best car to do first step to online racing for many roockies.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    For everyone comparing it to the Formula Vee in GSCE/AMS, that is an entirely different car. The F Vee uses a super old Volkswagen beetle(bug?) engine from the 60s or something, along with really skinny tires that dont have much grip. The FR Jr is completely modern by comparison.

The comparison to a Formula Ford is a bit more apt, but again, the FR Jr is a different car. It has far more grippy tires than either of the above, as well as tires that arent entirely too skinny. If I remember correctly, the FR Jr is running slicks... so... lots and lots of mechanical grip which probably explains part of why the car feels like it is behaves nicely and grips the track well. Aero grip is something it doesnt have any of really, and that is noticeable by the oversteer in a variety of situations.

Also remember, that this isnt strictly a real world car, so the devs are allowed some leeway to make the car a slight bit different from the perceptions above to make it more fun or controlled if they want this to be an entry level formula car. Not exactly saying this is the case, because frankly Im not sure the philosophy behind the development of the FR Jr, but it is a possibility like the others we have that have a bit of creative license involved ;)

Cheers

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2