Question FOV explaining

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by FormelLMS, Apr 8, 2015.

1. FormelLMS

FormelLMS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    Hi, I'm really new to this and hope, that you can help me.

For now I'm driving in my living room on TV. This is a 55 inch Sony Bravia and Race Room looks very impressive. I'm sitting 320 cm far from it. My normal setting of FOV was 1,0. But I found out, that's hard to see sharp corners like Nürburgring Kurzanbindung. So half of time I'm driving blind and hoping to get those corners.
    Now I've tried a bit with this FOV setting.
    But I really don't know, what to set.
    With 0,5 I can see much more of the track but the race seems now to be very slow.
    200 kmh looks like 60 kmh in my old Opel Vectra....
    With 0,6 it isn't even better. 0,7 is the first giving me a bit more of speed feeling but I really don't know what's best.

Positive on 0,5 and 0,6 is, that handling the car is more easy. Braking points can be hit and I can drive more direct and correct. But with this speed I'll be bored on some points of my favorite track because it really doesn't look fast.

So, hoping that someone will help me noob.

2. Jo Ré Ta Po

Jo Ré Ta Po Active Member

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    You pointed out exactly what low FOV positives and negatives are. You can hit braking points more easily but the feeling of speed is somewhat lost ... try 0.8 maybe ? :p

• Like Like x 1
  3. le_poilu

le_poilu Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    Being @320cm from a 55" display doesn't help for a proper FOV settings.
    Here is a calculator that will give you the "most realistic" FOV for your setup:
    http://www.projectimmersion.com/fov/index.php?m=1
    But you're even too far away for it.. indeed you would need a much lower settings that 0.5x
    I use a 42" @125cm and my FOV in R3E is 0.6 (calculate 0.5 but I use a little bit more)

You right, the narrower the FOV is the less you feel speed, but the more turns will look accurate, helping you for better breaking points, racing lines, etc.
    About the speed feeling, it's a lot a matter of habits, while you're get used to lower FOV, I'll never think about it.

For me the only real downside for lower FOV is the lack of side visibility. It's a little harder to know were are the other car on door-to-door fight. But for the driving it's much more enjoyable.

As I said, as you're really far from your screen, you can't get a proper FOV. Then, it's only a matter of your own preference ...

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. machwebb

machwebb Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +224 / 0 / -0
    • Like Like x 1
  5. FormelLMS

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    Wow! Thanks for all of your fast replies.
    I really appreciate it! So I thought, that the FOV thing is the angle you could see from the track. But it seems that ist is a slow motion thing.
    (just kidding)
    Ok, I understand now, that when I'm sitting nearer to the screen, it looks faster.

320 cm is the problem, because I'm only driving in living room with my TV. Nothing, which I could really change because of the "waf" (wife acceptance factor)

So I think, I have to try with which FOV I can steer the car good and don't have to play in slow motion.

Thanks to all of your replies.

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. le_poilu

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    If you can't move the TV, move yourself close to the TV :p

And as I said, the "slow mo" thing is mainly something you get used to pretty quickly.
    You have this feeling because you play with wider FOV since the beginning, but if you take the time to give it a shoot you'll find yourself not thinking about it so much ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. RomKnight

RomKnight Active Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    Indeed. Even with 3 monitors it'll never look as QUICK for "proper sense" of speed. But the closer you get to the matematically correct perspective the better, even if it looks "slow".
    We all need to find a compromise, but IMO low fov (usually the correct one is always lower than we think :) ) will always be better and it is a matter of adapt to it.
    BTW, make sure you use virtual mirrors or, like me, have that look back button near one of your fingers :) because the spatial awareness is the hardest to get used to.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. theravenousbeast

theravenousbeast Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    I've been using 0.6 even since I started racing in R3E. It's not optimal, I have trouble through some corners where I need to take a late apex (Zandvoort turn 9, Lauzitsring turn 6) but whenever I tried to switch to even 0.7 I completely lose the feel for everything, turning in, braking, etc. Single 23' monitor, 70cm away from it.
    A bit more accuracy in changing the FOV would be definitely welcome IMO.

9. RomKnight

RomKnight Active Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    Regarding the values, something like plain vfov instead of 0.5 or 1.0 and the likes would be MUCH better. I think this is the only game that does this IIRC and... it is confusing.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. heppsan

heppsan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    I just tried this calculator for R3E.
    And no matter what distance from the monitor I pick, the fov is always 0.5??
    Doesn't seem reliable..

11. mikey james

mikey james Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Haha same. :)

12. le_poilu

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    Maybe because the distance is too far for the monitor size => 0.5 is the lower you can get.
    If i try with a 32" @50cm I get a 0.7x FOV, etc ..

13. FormelLMS

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    Putting now a chair in front of the table to sit near the TV.
    It isn't as comfortable now... But now thinking about something what can hold a steering wheel.

14. RomKnight

RomKnight Active Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    0.6 for me with my new "configuration" as I finally took the time to adjust my rig.
    It used to be 0.5 because of the distance but I've used my "experience" to select that value. I didn't knew that site already supported R3E.

I'm getting withdrawal symptoms... So much to test...:mad::angry:

BTW, read the disclaimer that show after you press "Calculate FOV" ;)