FOV question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by silvanob2, Jul 26, 2021.

1. silvanob2

silvanob2 Active Member

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    Hi all,
    what degree of FOV should i have, to get a good sensation of speed?
    i tryed advanced FOV but i cant make it better and i really feel it lacks of speed sensation, pretty sure its the FOV.
    Anyone here would know a good setting of FOV ?
    BTW i am running triple screen.

2. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    If you don't like the "correct" setting as calculated then just make the FOV wider. Although on triple screens you shouldn't really need to.

I can run correct FOV on a single 32 inch screen and it's fine.

3. silvanob2

silvanob2 Active Member

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for your reply @ravey1981,
    The prob is i did many changes so i dont have the "correct setting" anymore, its all messed up.
    will try wider, does that mean higher degrees? i think the lowest is 60 if i remember good.
    i guess the higher the degrees, the better it gets for a sensation of speed, can be wrong, i dont know.

4. Hervé45

Hervé45 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +135 / 0 / -0
    i guess the higher the degrees, the better it gets for a sensation of speed
    -->yes

5. silvanob2

silvanob2 Active Member

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    Thanks @Hervé45
    I got it working good now :)

6. PanVlk

PanVlk Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    The higher the FoV, the more peripheral vision you get - which is the main factor contributing to the sense of speed as you can see the track surroundings moving around fast. But keep in mind unless you have triple screen setup or some huge screen stuck 40cm in front of your face, higher FoV will most likely provide unnatural scale of things and it might be a bit harder to judge the distances.

Generally, for a single screen of regular sizes at average distance, the lower FoV values are more "correct" in terms of scale of the ingame world.

• Like Like x 1
  7. silvanob2

silvanob2 Active Member

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    I understand, it must be a compromise between too much and too less.
    Thanks @PanVlk for those precisions.

8. Lixma

Lixma Honorary QA

Ratings:
    +174 / 0 / -0
    Be careful - there's a ton of videos on Youtube about how to set the 'correct' FOV and how this will improve your driving immeasurably.

For the vast majority of users who don't own super-wide monitors or triple-monitors the 'correct' FOV will result in everything looking a realistic size and distance, but it'll be like trying to race through a letter-box - you'll have practically zero peripheral vision; not great for racing.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Single screen and radar works just fine at correct FOV for me.

• Like Like x 1
  10. PanVlk

PanVlk Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    You probably have quite a large screen. With PC screen at regular size around 27 inch at about 80cm distance it's more or less impossible to get a "correct" FoV. Even the lowest possible angle wouldn't give you fully correct setting and you'd be constraining yourself into serious tunnel vision.

With standard PC screens just make some compromise that's comfortable to use. Don't chase 100% correct scale, because you probably wouldn't be able to achieve it with ingame settings, and even if you did, you'd handicap your visibility way too much.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Well it's 32 inch at 70cm. It's not tunnel vision at all. In fact the vision I have is exactly the same as when sitting looking forwards in my real car.

Peripheral "vision" is taken care of with the mirror and radar.

12. PanVlk

PanVlk Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    At 32 inch at 70cm you still need to have the FOV on the lowest available setting, right? I am pretty sure that's not covering the field of view you have in your real car.:tearsofjoy: At least I hope there aren't people out there driving cars with this sort of vision restriction.

13. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    When looking straight forward.

There is nothing outside of that screen that I need to see to drive forwards.

Anyway. I'm not particularly interested what you think of my screen setup. You do whatever you want and I'll do what is correct.

14. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +355 / 0 / -0
    @PanVlk If you click "Advanced" on FOV setup menu you're able to set whatever FOV you want and you aren't limited to the basic FOV range.

15. PanVlk

PanVlk Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    I know, I am still refering to the old scale, where the lowest possible setting was 0.5 and even that would be barely sufficient for "correct" scale on 32 inch screen at 70cm, while already being quite restrictive.

Not sure whether the new settings can actually go any lower, or if the options are still capped at same angles, just translated through different menu. Can't imagine much utility in going even lower than what was 0.5 multiplier.

16. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Correct on my screen was between 0.5 and 0.6 with the old system. But that's irrelevant anyway.

17. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    This is the view on my screen. The only time I am ever unsighted is on sharp hairpins such as la source. Everywhere else I can clearly see the apex at turn in. It's not restrictive for driving at all. 20210606231008_1.jpg

18. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +355 / 0 / -0
    I use x0.6, it's okay. I'd like a wider screen and a wider and correct FOV, but even with these settings it's more than playable.

No, it's a different system with its own limits.

The old one is still there by the way - it defines your FOV on all other cameras except the cockpit one.

19. Wilko Jones

Wilko Jones Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +80 / 0 / -0
    People are still using the multipliers? I use the advanced options, and a tape measure. On average I sit about 42" from a 27" screen, so proper FOV for me doesn't show me much. To see more, I often take the driver's camera and push it closer to the windshield. Yes its all types of wrong, but I can some what see into the turns when doing this.
    I tried widening the FOV, but I really enjoy the world being about as big as one would expect. And on top of that, the sense of scale when right behind another car is awesome. I can't get that with wider FOV.

When I attempted to widen the FOV, I usually changed the distance, while leaving the monitor size the same. Raceroom allows more precise adjustment if you click on the slider and use the arrow keys on your keyboard. That way you'd be able to get close to a 41-1/4" distance of 41.2".

There are probably valid reasons to stick with the multipliers, but I find the Advanced settings just offer more flexibility.

20. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +355 / 0 / -0
    It's not like you can choose... There are no multipliers in the menus anymore, but they are still used (taken from graphics_options.xml) for all cameras except cockpit one.