Problem FPS Drops..

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by heppsan, Sep 3, 2015.

1. heppsan

heppsan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    As mentioned before I have really heavy fps drops on Hockenheimring, about half of what I normally have.. (all the way down to 38fps!!..) :confused:

But now I also noticed that I got some fps issues on Nürburgring short..
    Just raced a WTCC 2014 race against the AI, and occasionally my fps dropped to 48fps.. :(
    Can't remember that I have ever had any issues on Nürburgring before, but I also think it was the first time I raced on the short layout.
    Awesome layout by the way, I wish we could get a full layout with this fast chicane on it! :)

2. Tarik Userli

Tarik Userli Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +578 / 0 / -0
    Hm. Try turn down shadows.

3. heppsan

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    I'm having a good enough pc to run this with most on max, and on all other tracks I have between 60-90 fps (usually settles quite steady at 73 fps)..

4. Brandon Wright

Brandon Wright Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +312 / 0 / -0
    I recently bought the China track and I get horrendous frame rate on it even if I'm the only car on the track. If I go to another track I have a solid frame rate even with a full grid, but China is so bad it's undriveable (like maybe 20fps at the most, so stuttery it makes me nauseous). Any ideas what could cause that? I have a plenty good system (i5 4960, 16gb ram, nVidia GTX 970) but run on medium settings just to ensure solid fps.

5. mr_belowski

mr_belowski Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    Are you using an XBox One controller?

6. heppsan

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    That everyone can have such different outcomes puzzles me..?.. :confused:
    Shanghai is one of the tracks I have the best performance on.
    Overall I think the newer tracks is the ones that appears to be best optimised for my system.

7. Brandon Wright

Ratings:
    +312 / 0 / -0
    No, Thrustmaster T300.

That is strange. I've never had any problem with frame rates in this game, but Shanghai is awful. There was one other track I was seeing lesser issues on but I forget which one. I haven't changed anything on my system (that I know of) that would create an issue. Very puzzling....

8. The_Grunt

The_Grunt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +168 / 0 / -0
    Fps reporting is useless if we don't have the information of the used resolution. It is pretty safe to say that with GTX780/970 you can't max out on every track with 2560x1440 resolution or higher. I have NV surround setup with a resolution of 6060x1080 and I can't max out it with GTX980ti and have over 60 fps on every track and all the time. Experience is also alway individual. I need to have over 60 fps all the time or I get annoyed even by the smallest stutters every now and then, but for some, it is no big deal. I always sacrifice the details for fps. GTX980ti is powerful enough, though, to run shadows high and split turned on. Reflections still stay low for me as it is.

Shadows (including split) and reflections are the biggest fps hogs by far. Even with my earlier GTX780 it seemed that all the other settings had a negligible effect on the FPS compared to shadows and reflections, so I'd definitely start from there. Shadows are now a lot more heavier to render since the spring(?) patch when they fixed the shadow rendering errors.

9. Dave R

Dave R Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +576 / 0 / -0
    I'm having the same issue this morning @heppsan . It's happening on all the tracks. It didn't happen yesterday and has just started this morning. I've noticed it's taking a lot longer for stuff to load than normal. I've rebooted twice and I'm verifying steam files now.,

10. mr_belowski

mr_belowski Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    But there's been no game client update. Surely any new fps issue must be your system? Has windows update put a new gfx driver in or something?

11. Dave R

Dave R Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +576 / 0 / -0
    No changes on my system, no new graphics driver, etc. I don't know what it is.

12. Brandon Wright

Ratings:
    +312 / 0 / -0
    I believe my resolution is something like 5760x1080. I use Surround as well, and I also turn split shadows and reflections down. I use the default "Medium" graphics settings to ensure I get good fps, and I do on other tracks even with 20+ cars on the grid. I used to run on the "High" settings and never had any issues before so I know my system should be able to easily handle the game at Medium. But even when I'm the only car on the track at Shanghai the fps is terrible, almost feels like it's in the single digits. I just bought the track recently and haven't done any deep investigation as to why that track has a problem, but something screwy is going on.

13. heppsan

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    I'm having a Asus Rog G751JY Laptop with a GTX 980M, resolution 1920x1080.
    Get an average of about 75 fps on most tracks.
    Have always had bad performance on Hockenheim with 38-58 fps, but now also down to 48 fps on Nürburgring short and noticed some drops in the mid 50 on Suzuka East course last night.. . :(

14. The_Grunt

Ratings:
    +168 / 0 / -0
    Hmm, sounds strange. With my earlier GTX780 I could run otherwise high, but shadows and reflections low and split off. Other settings didn't do that much, no matter how I set them. With low shadows, only in the back stretch of Moscow I had a second or two dip below 60FPS and otherwise I was fine. Comapred to your system, GTX780 is not that different and CPU shouldn't matter that much here either. GTX970 VRAM issue shouldn't matter either, as with 780 I could max usage at 2.8GB with my settings.

Many have reported Shanghai bad for FPS, but I haven't suffered from it. As said, for me Moscow had parts where it dropped below 60 fps. After the patch when shadows were changed, Zolder and Monza got way more heavier and with Moscow, they were the reason to use low shadows. On most other tracks I could use medium shadows just fine. GTX980ti fixed finally my graphical bottlenecks :p

15. Brandon Wright

Ratings:
    +312 / 0 / -0
    I'm planning to upgrade to Win10 soon as a clean install, I'm hoping that will exterminate any bugs living in my system.

16. Tarik Userli

Ratings:
    +578 / 0 / -0
    Me too. R290x 9gb. Triple screen @5690x1080 shadows off, except car shadows. 60fps stable. Shadows on i have 43-50 fps and stuttering all the time.
    Win 10 have no effect for me, same Performance like win7.

17. Tarik Userli

Ratings:
    +578 / 0 / -0
    When someone is selling his r290x8gb contact me pls!

18. Dave R

Dave R Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +576 / 0 / -0
    @heppsan I think I've fixed mine. I uninstalled my video card, let the generic drivers load, then downloaded updated drivers and set them to default and no more frame drops. It's back to the way it was yesterday. I have no idea what happened or what caused it. I did do a hardware test on the mac side just to make sure the video card was ok and found out my battery needs service so plus on that haha

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. The_Grunt

Ratings:
    +168 / 0 / -0
    I use always DDU display driver uninstaller before installing new ones. It takes off every trace of previous drivers, so you can really make a clean install. In most cases express or custom install with clean option works just fine, but with DDU driver update is a bullet proof thing. You only have to remember that you lose your driver settings at when you do a clean install.

20. Dave R

Dave R Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +576 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for that @The_Grunt . I'm not really much of a Windows user short of to play games on. A lot of this is like a foreign language to me.

• Agree Agree x 1