Problem FPS Drops..

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by heppsan, Sep 3, 2015.

1. heppsan

heppsan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    Will try this, thanks!

2. heppsan

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    So I have now tried to uninstall and then made a clean install of the Nvidia drivers, but that didn't do much.
    Got the fps up from 38 to 41 on Hockenheim..
    Made a lot of tests and shadows to medium or vsync on/off didn't do much either, the only way to get the fps to be steady at 60 fps was to reduce the car reflections from high down to low.
    Didn't actually notice much difference when driving, made quite a lot in replays though.
    But this makes it a bit silly, cause now I get peaks on the newer tracks to over 112 fps.
    Feels like the older tracks need more optimisation!?.

3. Dave R

Dave R Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +576 / 0 / -0
    Darn Heppsan I really hoped that would help you. Sorry for wasting your time.

4. heppsan

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    NP m8, thanks for trying to help!

5. heppsan

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    I was thinking of something.
    Can it have something to do with that other games on the hard drive starting to add up?
    I use one driver for OS, one for all the racing games and one for other games.
    Have only used about half of the space on both my game drivers, but might this be enough for slowing the pc down performance wise?

I'm starting to consider on installing windows 10 and making a total factory reset when I have a few days off.
    And then only install R3E on the pc, and buy an external hard drive for all the other games.
    Do you guys think this sounds like a good idea?

6. Dave R

Dave R Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +576 / 0 / -0
    I use an external for lots of games. The only games I have on my SSD are R3E, Assetto Corsa, F1 2015, and Race 07. The others are played back off an external drive (2TB).

• Useful Useful x 1
  7. heppsan

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    Will a small 2,5" with usb 3.0 without a power cable do the trick?

8. Dave R

Dave R Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +576 / 0 / -0
    yup that's what I have heppsan. I have a Western Digital My Passport Ultra with USB and no power supply.

• Wonderful Wonderful x 1
  9. DawdlingDan

DawdlingDan New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I don't see why R3E would need to utilize the disk too much. The fps drops are most likely due to CPU/GPU bottleneck. How much Vram does your graphics card have? You could be maxing that which then causes constant stuttering as the textures keep getting swapped.

EDIT: To see how much video memory your card has and see how much is being used, download this: https://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/
    You don't need to install it, just run it. Then play some R3E and check the memory usage graph.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2015
  10. heppsan

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    But the weird thing is that it's just on Hockenheim I have this issues. (some other older tracks lately but not that huge)
    Other tracks run silky smooth on highest settings...

11. heppsan

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    Oh, I forgot, 4GB Vram. (GTX 980M)

12. DawdlingDan

DawdlingDan New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Ah, 4gb's plenty.
    Right, well you said lowering shadows doesn't help but setting reflections to low does.
    I would take a guess that shadows are more GPU bound which if so, this means your GPU is not the bottleneck.
    As far as I can tell, reflections set to high creates real-time reflections dynamically generated from the scene. When set to low, it's probably just a cubemap. Real-time reflections would require alot of CPU power, combined with the the vehicle physics. It could be your CPU is not able to cope with the demand.

Thing is, you say it's just hockenheim which drops frames while other tracks are fine so idk. Are you running the same amount of cars on each track you test?

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. heppsan

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    Yes, run with full grids.
    And on most tracks I usually get 73 fps on average with high settings.

14. Andregee

Andregee New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I am using a 7970 @5040x1050 and the overall performance of R3E dropped down the last few weeks and builds.
    A few month ago i could use high reflexions, or high shaders with middle reflexions, even shadow splitt was possible.
    Now i have to set shaders to minimum, reflexions to minimum and its hard to reach 60fps but for what is the question. I don´t see better graphics compared to older builds.
    Even Project Cars shows a better performance, much better now.
    R3E is below 60fps undriveable for me, the microstuttering so so massive, i have seen this before, so i have to use vsync. I use Win 7 and Win 10 and it makes no difference.

15. The_Grunt

The_Grunt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +168 / 0 / -0
    R3E became much more heavier to run when they fixed shadow rendering. Shadows look much better now, but are very FPS heavy and they require very high end GPUs to run on high settings and triples. Remember that if you are using VSYNC and have less than 60 fps on 60Hz monitors, VSYNC drops FPS to 30. If you have Nvidia, I suggest you set VSYNC to adaptive through CP or Nvidia Inspector.

16. heppsan

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    Can you select medium reflections??
    I can only choose between low or high..

17. mr_belowski

mr_belowski Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    low or high only for me too

18. shardshunt

shardshunt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +490 / 0 / -0
    High
    Low <-- (Middle)
    Off

19. mr_belowski

mr_belowski Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    Is there even an 'off'? Obviously I can't log in to check, but I though it was just Low or High

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. shardshunt

shardshunt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +490 / 0 / -0
    i assume so i don't think i have any reflections on, i feel that would kill my frames.