News FREE WEEKEND

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by RaceRoom, Jun 23, 2015.

1. congo

congo New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Ok, thx again

Last edited: Jun 27, 2015
  2. heppsan

heppsan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    Just choose single player.
    Then single race, championship or practise.
    Choose car and track, race!
    Or Multiplayer, choose server and join.
    Choose car, race!

Had time to join a 20 min MP WTCC race at Red Bull, and mandatory pit stops was implemented!! :)

Really nice full grid race!
    Was accidentally spinning a car in the last corner after battling for a couple of laps (sorry for that), so after waiting him in I was at 8 th place..

After some overtakes a guy spun me out and ran.
    But because of the pit stops I made a better one than him, and was able to get out in front of him when I was exiting the pits! :p
    Also was able to pass three other guys who probably hadn't pitted before, cause they was in pit when I came, and still waiting for tire change when I left.. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  3. CDwyer

CDwyer Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    They should not have done the Free2Play, the same weekend as Goodwood, I dont know what to do. Watch Goodwood or play R3E? I am watching Goodwood and its Norisring DTM in an hour. A real motorsport weekend.

• Like Like x 1
  4. The Angry Hamster

The Angry Hamster Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +148 / 0 / -0
    The chance that something else is going on that someone somewhere will also want to participate in as well as play R3E is incredibly high. There's never going to be a perfect time for it with so many worldwide motorsports series and events =P

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Tuborg

Tuborg Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +457 / 0 / -0
    New all time peak: 746 (old 722) :)

• Like Like x 5
  6. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475 / 0 / -0
    Another thought occured to me while racing earlier....probably a good time to practice forgiveness and overall friendly behaviour, if we are interested in having the servers a bit more populated after this free weekend. The community is a good portion of the lure for r3e

7. James Cook

James Cook Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    I've been at Goodwood today and yesterday. :D

Awesome.

• Like Like x 2
  8. mr_belowski

mr_belowski Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    Just had a wicked GTR2 race at Brands till I ended up losing the back out of Clearways battling for the lead and sliding into the side of the leader, ramming into the start of the pit wall. Sorry fella :(

9. R.C. Collins

R.C. Collins Active Member

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    Thank you! Having a blast trying all the items I'm interested in! Thank you!

10. R.C. Collins

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    Hope the 'Devs' read the forums?

First, thanks again.

A few observations so far;

- Some tracks may need some (re)optimization
    * Macau - Running @ 60+ FPS with 20 AI and high detail. Great!

** Tracks like Slovakia Ring, Sonoma and Shanghai which are seemingly open without all the city detail of Macau, 26FPS?
    Highly optimized, lean system running x8 CPU @ 4.5GHz, 24GB RAM, w/2 x 290x (though I know CrossfireX isn't working but SHOULD BE! Hint... hint!) shouldn't be choking. ??

*** More Damage! At least for offline against AI or for Servers/Leagues. It's too forgiving. One shouldn't bounce off of guard rails at Macau and be fine. Car should be crushed. Suspension damaged. I understand the lack of damage for all the console kiddies that just want to rip around with wanton abandon but in 'Realistic' 'Simulation' mode, it should be one big mistake and your day is done.

**** Some cars are just too sticky. The Cadillac for example. For a big GT car, it can be tossed around a bit too much. Too forgiving while cars like the Zakspeed and the Nissan 2000, seem too 'icy' feeling like iRacing... or some crap.

The potential here is incredible. This is really becoming one of my favorite games/simulators.

Sector 3 has an opportunity to really be a 'player' in the sim community. It has a balance of offerings rivaled only by iRacing and attributes that pCars, rFactor2, Assetto Corsa, to their detriment, are missing.

• Like Like x 5
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2015
  11. machwebb

machwebb Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +224 / 0 / -0
    You may need to to do some more optimization, or reign in some settings. I've never been as low as the 20s on my system.

Console Kiddies...?

12. R.C. Collins

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    Hmm, not much more I can do. My system is strictly for simulators and some gaming. I've disabled every unnecessary service and startup item, temp files are cleaned daily, Windows is up to date and I manually run Windows Update to avoid all the slag updates like the recent 'Windows 10 Readiness' system breakers. All 'eye candy' in windows is off, every driver is up to date and all settings withing drivers when possible and on the hardware, in windows, and in the game have been through with a fine tooth comb. Believe me when I say it's lean and optimized. Backing out on settings in game is no fun. I've already disabled or lowered the major killers like shadows, motion blur which I don't care for and environment items. I'm running minimal AA. (x2).

Point more so is tracks that one would think are resource intensive like Macau are running at over 60FPS while tracks with seemingly little track side detail like Sonoma, Salzburgring or Shanghai are crippled to the point of being not drivable at 26FPS with the same settings and number of AI cars.

I'm hoping that over time Sector 3 tweaks these things so things run smoother. Outside of that, enjoying this Sim/Game and I was reluctant for a long time until recently acquiring DTM 2014, DTM 1992 and ADAC 2014 during a Humble sale.

Yeah, the ones who drive like this;

Different game but you know what I mean?

13. Ryan Callan

Ryan Callan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +284 / 0 / -0
    There have been some majorly poor drivers on the servers this weekend lol, with our server constantly full. But really I, and my community, have been tolerant, realising that getting users in is necessary towards the future progression of the game, which has such amazing potential, we have let them get on with it.

We did have to eventually disappear into a passworded server when we wanted to do some serious practice mind!

But seeing our server so busy has been a pleasure, and I hope this incentive entices more people into what is a great game that deserves promoting everywhere.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Ryan Callan

Ryan Callan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +284 / 0 / -0
    On the 'console kiddies' note, let's not be 'sim snobs' in return. Lots of people progress from consoles to sims, be open minded. Otherwise our games don't sell enough because of the attitude new guys may face and be put off by and we don't have any games in the future.

Sure, some are truly terrible, but learning to live with them for the greater good is surely beneficial.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  15. R.C. Collins

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    Didn't mean to come across as 'Sim snob'. Fair enough.

I've been at this a long time so my expectation of a 'Simulation' and other drivers tends to be out there a bit more than most. Didn't mean it as a 'Diss' to anyone.

I've said this before... I'd like to see this Sim become part of the offerings at Race2Play (if it's not already though I don't see it in the listings) which could send it to another level for league, organized and private server racing. Hope they get the multiplayer completely happening.

16. qbba

qbba New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I think it is not so much about track detail, but about visibility. In Macau, you can only see one row of buildings in a small part of the track at once, everything else does not have to be rendered. Visibility in Shanghai is huge, because it's a flat place.
    Also, the huge building on the start straight in Shanghai seems very detailed.
    But besides that, I don't even have any problems with Shanghai.
    I'm running one GTX 970 and I tested Shanghai on practice with 1 Radical. The FPS never dropped below 100, which is even better than some other tracks.

17. R.C. Collins

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    Can you perhaps post your exact settings?

18. R.C. Collins

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    Good point. See, since I'm not a developer, I don't know these things for sure. I often can only make reasonable guesses or assumptions. But, of course, having to render the 'open space' is resource intensive. From a visual standpoint you don't really think that way. You just say, "Well, there's nothing there! What's the deal?!?"

I'm running AMD cards so I'm at a disadvantage out of the gate these days. Unfortunate that, on paper, technically more powerful GPUs and yet in nearly every game, not just this, AMD users suffer. I jumped ship this one time out of budget and being lauded by specs and I do have some regrets. Then again I got both my 290x cards for less than one 290x through a couple of distress deals that played in my favor. Less than 1/2 the cost of one GTX 980Ti.

Forgot to mention, I'm running triple screen. 5760 x 1200. Probably is playing a significant part in FPS and load on the card.

19. Anthony Monteil

Anthony Monteil KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +1,199 / 0 / -0
    Our physics developer could tell you more about that, but I would suggest you to watch a few videos of the real cars if you didn't do it yet.

The Cadillac is a modern and sophisticated GT2 car, one of the most performant GT class ever.
    The amount of downforce on this car is just phenomenal and it explains easily the "sticky" effect you describe.

With the Group 5 cars, we're jumping 30 years earlier in terms of technology. The tires especially, had a totally different behaviour in this era, with a much more "progressive" grip.
    The goal was not to slide but the tires behaviour forced you to "play" with the grip, it was pretty much the only way to drive fast at that time.

My personal memories of these cars and the videos you can find on the net are perfectly matching the physics in the game, in my opinion. ;)

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  20. machwebb

machwebb Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +224 / 0 / -0
    If your running triple, my settings probably won't be that relevant. I wish I could run triple. Track details and reflections, car texture seem to be the ones to compromise on, so hopefully that helps.