Resolved Freezes and tuning

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by Bavarian_Firebird, May 5, 2020.

1. Bavarian_Firebird

Bavarian_Firebird Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    Hi all,
    its not an actual problem its more a How-I-dealed-with-post. Here we go:
    My computer is about 3 years old with an i7 and GTX 1070 grafics card. 4 month ago I reinstalled Windows 10 to the actual build (actual at this time). System was stable and performant, no issues.
    Starting 3 weeks ago the system just freezed randomly in games, office even in the browser. Mouse stopped moving, moving pictures just stoped and a played sound repeated the second the computer freezed over and over again. A real good old school freeze. Only solution was to press the reset button.

The event log didnt show any errors related to the problem. After restart I just saw some applications reporting their restart after an unexpected shutdown (no halt which is a difference). So I ran a diagnose program, checked for hardware issues, monitored the heat...nothing.
    I realized last weekend that Windows 1909 was "in da house" and I clicked download and install. Since then the problems are gone. Stable machine again. Could be possible that something was realy wrong with my system and the update fixed it but in my mind I always run into strange behavior (not I do...my system does) around big patches.

So if you run into similar problems...maybe a Windows update helps you as well.

As a little goody for your patience some Registry Keys you can set for some extra tweaking: (My freezing system hadnt set this keys, dont worrie...the updated one has) These settings make sense from 16 GB RAM upwards.
    Open up regedit.exe

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Filesystem
    DisableDeleteNotification = 1 (just cosmetic, the trash will still work but you dont get asked to delete something)
    LongPathsEnabled = 1 (let Windows follow long path names with very long folder and file names)
    NtfsMemoryUsage = 1 (let your file system use your RAM more efficiently)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Filesystem\Session Manager\Memory Management
    DisablePagingExecutive = 1 (Prevents Systemfiles to be outsourced to the paging file)
    LargeSystemCache = 1 (More RAM is used by Windows for Caching before swaping)

ClearPageFileAtShutdown (if you enter 1 there, your shutdown will be very...very long because the page file will be deleted everytime. Its more for security reasons than performance but also you will start always with a fresh file)

These settings orginally came from a Windows 7 tweak but they work also at Windows 10.

I also would recommend to set your swap file to a fixed amount of 4096 MB. With RAM so big you wont see paging very often and you help your computer a little bit with a fixed amount. Sidenote: If you run Titanfall 2 you may have to set the page file size equal your RAM size otherwise you experience game crashes as soon as you enter a battle ground.

Enjoy racing.