FYI: A warning on possible upcoming performance losses for Intel CPUs

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Skybird, Jan 3, 2018.

1. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/0...u_design_flaw/

A fundamental design flaw (a Kernel memory vulnerabiulity) in Intel chips of the past ten years has caused a security vulnerability at the very lowest, most basic and most hidden level of the architecture that Intel cannot fix by themselves. The workaround is that operation systems, both Windows and Linux, need to apply rewrites for the Kernel that will soon be distributed via the OS' usual patch distribution channels. The fix comes at a hefty cost for some, older Intel chips may be threatened to lose up to 30% of performance, with newer chips said to get away with lower losses, as low as 5% - but a loss nevertheless.

The Linux fix seems to also adress AMD chips, but it is unclear to me whether that is due to a newly revealed weakness in AMD chips as well, or is just a precautionary measure.

If in the coming weeks you observe a loss in performance in your systems, this likely is the explanation.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  2. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    What CPUs are we talking about? The articles says you should buy a new processor which doesn't have this issue but what processors have this issue? Which generations?
    I have an i7 6700K, it's only 2 years old, I hope it doesn't have this issue.

3. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Intel CPUs of the past ten years, I read. More specific data I cannot offer. I am wondering myself if the latest 8th generation Intel CPUs are also affected - they are being sold just since November 2017.

In AC forum somebody said that he read somewhere it does affect productivity work more than gaming.

4. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
  5. mr_belowski

mr_belowski Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    It's all a bit worrying - I'm guessing that this change could potentially invalidate a shitload of performance profiling results and subsequent optimisations for many applications and games

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    I'm sorry to say, but it does not look good for you. The Reddit link I gave above mentions they had a 29% loss on their i7 6700, even 34% on an i7-3770S.

I am no tech expert, however, just an interested observer. I may have overlooked a detail.

I think this issue is a major worst case scenario. That they secretly work on this since month already, also tells me that.

7. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Depends on to what degree PTI affects DirX. Gaming under Linux was reported to not take too much of a blow. But it got delivered a major blow in other tasks.

8. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    so ... could we sue Intel for false advertising or sth like that? I mean I paid for the power I got and wanted. Now it's gonna be downgraded by up to 30%? Do I get 30% of my money back? :mad:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. BBKing212

BBKing212 Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    My understanding is, that BUG is so huge that it can not be fixed in microcode, so OS vendors are preping the fix. Because the fix will be done on OS level it will degrade the performance.
    How much and on which apps/games remains to be seen. We still have to wait for the list of the affected CPUs. If I would take a guess, I would say all CPUs that were produced 10 years ago to this day.

10. exxe

exxe Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    well, as far as i read all Intel x86-64 CPUs have this problem, so every desktop CPU from the last 10 years or so. (every Intel CPU that can run a 64bit Windows)
    and with this bug detected a few days or maybe weeks ago i guess it's still in the newest generation.

how many performance the CPU will lose? well, we have to wait a few days.
    maybe my zen was even a better choice then thought when i bought him...

11. Tuborg

Tuborg Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +457 / 0 / -0
    This is something big! nasdaq2.jpg nasdaq.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  12. BBKing212

BBKing212 Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. BBKing212

BBKing212 Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
  14. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
  15. John Wiesenmüller

John Wiesenmüller Active Member

Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
  16. Whipdiddywhip

Whipdiddywhip Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    if its a big performance hit im going to demand a refund and buy amd

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Tuborg

Tuborg Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +457 / 0 / -0
    Not on games.

18. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    We don't know yet. They seem to only have tested Linux so far

19. BBKing212

BBKing212 Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    Next week there will be more info what is the impact on win os.

20. higsy

higsy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +123 / 0 / -0
    How do supposedly the smartest tech people that work on these systems miss these vulnerabilities? It pisses me off every time I hear something like this.. all these goddamned websites that want my time , my passwords and credit card info can' keep there own houses in order. U know how many times I've forgotten a password etc. E-ecommerce is the way of the future but man this bothers me ?

• Agree Agree x 3