FYI: A warning on possible upcoming performance losses for Intel CPUs

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Skybird, Jan 3, 2018.

1. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    The reports on AMD systems booting right into a BSOD after installing KB4056982, widened and now are not just about Win7 anymore, but also Win10 1709. Most affected are owners of Athlon, Sempron, Opteron and Turion CPUs. But generally all AMD chips tend to be at risk.

If you are owning an AMD, stay away from KB4056982 and make sure your Windows updater does not install it behind your back.

The problem manifestates itself by that when you boot your system warm or cold, you get a BSOD after just one or two seconds. You get an error code either 0X000000C4 or 0X800F0845.

If you own an intel system, stay away from KB4056982 either, at least as long as unvoluntary Beta testing for Microsoft is not your passion.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    An often overlooked risk of giving away your biometrics for IDying is that it can be stolen and then used to lay false tracks. In the extreme, just to illustrate my point: somebody commits a crime, and leaves your biometric profile - police knocks at your door, judge says "But it was your biometrcis being found there!". Bad day for you. You are proven to be the wanted criminal.

Another risk is the same like using one and the same password for all your passwort-protected activities and sites: once it gets stolen on one site or from you, the attacker can access all other sites using this password as well.

Also, it is more power in the ahnd of porivate comanies. Somethign I have become extremely sensitive about in recent years. Very extremely utmost sensitive.

Biometrics in my opinion are much overrated. And in the long term consequences they are even stupid.

And dangerous to your health as well. Some longer time ago, either in Asia or South America they experimented with car protection via fingerprints. I do not recall the details anymore, it already must be around 15 years ago, maybe longer. it was an experiment to battle car jacking at traffic lights, which was a big problem in that country. Drivers get pulled out of their cars while waiting at a red light, and the attacker raced away. Fingerprints were meant to prevent that, like sensors in firearms so that only the legal owner could fire the weapon, I seem to recall the finger sensors worked like a dead-man's-handle in trains. Problem was this: several people were pulled out of their cars - and had their finger cut off by force as well.

Well.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
  3. w.velgersdijk

w.velgersdijk Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +51 / 0 / -0
    I've installed it, no problems!

4. Karting06

Karting06 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +128 / 0 / -0
    It failed to install for me, like a lot of Windows Updates.
    LOL.

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. John Wiesenmüller

John Wiesenmüller Active Member

Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    100% correct. I Never understood why I should use biometric data to legitimate access. Once stolen you never can change it like a password. From a security point of view it is useless in my eyes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Good! It should bother everybody. It really should scare people. But if I have learned one thing about man, then this: intelligence and the size of a crowd are inversely proportional. Wisdom and modesty, you always find in an isolated individual but never in the mass. Since Star Wars I we know that "this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause."

7. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Between autumn 2015 and Spring 2016, biometric data sets (complete ones, including fingerprints and iris scans) of several hundred million Indian citizens have been stolen from government databases (in India, fingerprints and iris scans are mandatory content of ID papers). Every sixth Indian has his biometric identitx already stolen by somebody. In the same time, the biometric data catalogues of up to 100 million US citizens were reported to have been compromised. Two months ago or so.

Not even mentioning dumb security scandals like the Experian scandal last autumn: https://krebsonsecurity.com/2017/09/experian-site-can-give-anyone-your-credit-freeze-pin/

The playstation account theft earlier. The dating service customer database theft three years ago. The - well, the list seems to be endless.

Feel safe, if you dare. We must all go digital. Its so safe. No cash money, go Swedish: no cahs money. Let the state control every single step of you, expose all your life to the state, make yourself naked, crystal clear, totally defenceless and maximum vulnerable to state abuse.

Its all for your better life. Is all for your luxury and comfort. Its all for your freedom from choice and self-responsibility.

8. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
  9. Jorgen Wahlby

Jorgen Wahlby Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
  10. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0

https://www.computerworld.com/artic...reboots-in-haswell-and-broadwell-systems.html

If you use Haswell and Broadwell: don't touch these upcoming or out-in-the-wild firmware updates.

All others: do not touch them either. Better focus oin tightening your browser'S security. None of the attacks possible via Meltdopwn or Spectre can run without attack code being channele donto your system. Shot off your pop-ups, limit your auto scripting, think twice before clicking on a link or button or visi8ting just any site. Think about whether oyu really need and want to go there.

11. BBKing212

BBKing212 Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    And dont forget to patch your OS!!!

12. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Patching the OS, especially when it is Windows, also is somehtign I am not in haste to to do. It is also not rweally effective if not qccompnaied by updating firmware of all hardware components.

Lock youre browser, this is to reduce the chance that any attack code gets onto your HD without which any Meltdown and Spectre attack currently cannot be conducted.

the Windows patches come with their own risks and problems currently, no need to take that lightly and install it now while Microsoft once again demands millions of involuntary volnuteers to run a proper Beta-test. The new Kernel with Linux I read also cause some problems.

And finally, we do not tlak about "patching" anyway, because a patch is code that repairs something and closes a security hole. The holes we talk of here cannot be closed by software code. We only talk about mitigating an attack. We shift the chances a bit in our favour.

The best defence surrently is to have any method to not have code injected onto our machines via corrupoted javascripts, pop-ups, whatever. And these thigns mostyl arrive via browser traffic. Hence my advice: the most effective and less risky thing currently is to lock down the browser. With updating UEFI, mainboard firmware, microcode, Windows with Microsoft patches, you always run the risk that something goes wrong or the result does not work as intended, especially with Microsoft patches these days.

None of the things they did so far regarding Meltdown and Spectre, was free of negative side-effects. Anything they did so far also has caused some viuctims here, some victims there.

Wait with updating Windows as long as your settings/Windows verison allow to delay, 36 days probably if you use Pro or higher. Linux users should ask themsaelves what they use their systems for, and whether they really need the latest Kernel at the cost of loosing their VBox, for exmaple, which is currently knocked out by these new Kernels.

And again: none of these thign sreally can prevent these attcks, closes the security ohles. Only replacing the hardware can do that. And altenrtaive hardware will not be available for long time to come. This mess will be with us FOR YEARS.

P.S. Businesses, companies, server and cloud service providers I exclude from this advice, for them the situaiton is very different.

P.P.S. Do not forget that your smartphones, tablets and smart AI household devices, intelligent home control gadgets, alarm systems and all that stuff - is affected, too! ;)

13. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +95 / 0 / -0
    I just checked updates on my main gaming pc today and noticed I got the meltdown and spectre patch a week ago. I would not have even known unless I checked. I7 4770k and gtx1080ti. I can't say I have noticed any difference but I only game and surf the web on it.

14. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    do you mean KB4056892 ?

this was installed 7 days ago on my PC.

15. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Gets better and better. LOL

https://www.computerworld.com/artic...-not-install-its-meltdown-firmware-fixes.html

16. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Regarding enforced Microschrott Updates: delay, delay, delay, always use maximum delay setting possible. These days, their patches are not worth to be called that, and it has become good habit at Microschrott to break at least as much stuff witha patchais it tries, or merely claims, to repair.

And even then you may get stinking brown stuff shoved down your throat without your consent and against your delay settings, as users of build 1703 recently learned by hundreds of thousands: they got force donto 1709 although they had delayed such basic updates by 365 days.

Since two years I read and observe the drama around Windows 10 and concluded that it must be ####. And since two months I must actually use it on my new gaming system and learned in that time that it indeed is nothing but #### , from A to Z. Garbage. Nothing else. I know, trashing Micrtoschrott has nothign to do with Intel and AMD, but everybody knows that MS and Intel practically are in bed with each other.

17. Not Lifting Off

Not Lifting Off Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    Go to services, disable windows update, update orchestrator, enable when you want to update, then disable again, you choose when the updates are installed. As for win10, i loved it for 12 months but it just got worse and worse, ive been back on win 7 for the last 3 months, doubt i will go to win 10 till 7 is out of support.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Tarik Userli

Tarik Userli Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +578 / 0 / -0
    God damnit i dont want to update my macbook and ipad..I get everyday a message "hey, update your fucking macbook"...

19. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +95 / 0 / -0
    So now they say not to update, what good is that if your pc updated this almost 3 weeks ago.
    What a f!@#$n joke!!!

20. Rodent

Rodent Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +323 / 0 / -0
    Ouf, I've been avoiding AMD since having an Athlon system with a Radeon card in the 00's that failed to ever live up to it's potential but with the upcoming Ryzen refresh and Haswell CPUs/MBs being hit with this I may just have to partially go over to team red this year unless Intel does some real consumer friendly decisions until april. Probably won't happen since as much as I've gotten my moneys worth out of my Haswell, Intel and consumer friendly is hardly something you say in the same sentence very often. :p