Question Game crashes from results screen

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by Skidmark, Oct 1, 2021.

1. Skidmark

Skidmark Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +232 / 0 / -0
    I realise the issue is likely at my end but for about a week now the game has been crashing (in fact my whole pc has been crashing) when I’m in the results screen. I can run a whole race including sometimes with a restart with no problems, but once in the results screen it crashes.

Rough stats is that in 4 of the last 6-ish races when I click the red Finish button the game freezes then I get blue screen. It also happened once while just viewing results.

Doesn’t happen in any other circumstance on my pc.

Only fix I have tried is updating nvidia drivers. This made no difference.

I am wondering if anyone else is having a similar experience?

Last edited: Oct 1, 2021
  2. Skidmark

Ratings:
    +232 / 0 / -0
    No one? Dang… so the problem is at my end :(.

3. Skidmark

Ratings:
    +232 / 0 / -0
    I know everyone is on tenterhooks for the latest update on my issue... :)... alright alright but I'm doing it anyway.

Raceroom crashes when I'm in the results screen, taking my pc down with it - the dreaded blue screen of death.

What I have tried:

* update all drivers (nVidia, wheel etc)
    * run Intel Processor Diagnostic - CPU OK
    * run CrystalDiskInfo - all drives OK
    * update firmware on router (a long shot but whenever I reboot after pc crash internet is down and it always takes a second reboot to get going)
    * complete reinstall of Raceroom on C: drive (SSD). I used to have it installed on another drive where it worked fine for years.
    * file integrity check on Steam

Nothing has worked. I don't have any crash dumps because when the game crashes it takes the pc with it.

So I'm stumped. Raceroom ran fine for me for years. Now this. And it's only Raceroom. Everything else on my pc runs ok without crashing.

To cheer myself up I've been playing F12019 and Assetto Corsa - both without issues. BUT I MISS the brilliant Raceroom sounds, physics and AI. Badly.

Anyone able to offer any thoughts on what else I could try to make Raceroom happy again?

My PC is getting (very) long in the tooth but is otherwise working fine:

Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 19042) (19041.vb_release.191206-1406)
    System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.

System Model: Z97X-Gaming 7
    BIOS: BIOS Date: 05/30/14 12:46:35 Ver: 04.06.05 (type: BIOS)
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz
    Memory: 16384MB RAM
    Available OS Memory: 16198MB RAM
    Page File: 6178MB used, 12451MB available
    DirectX Version: DirectX 12
    Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760

4. MrBones22

MrBones22 Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    Hmm...maybe try to run DXDaig and see if any errors pop up? Since RR runs on DX9 maybe there's a glitch there? Have you tried to do a full driver clean (boot into safe mode and run Display Driver Uninstaller) and reinstall new drivers?

5. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +355 / 0 / -0
    Try turning off all CPU and GPU overclocking and switch your memory to default settings.

6. Skidmark

Ratings:
    +232 / 0 / -0
    @Maskerader and @MrBones22 - thanks for your suggestions. I haven't had any success.

I think something in a game update or a Windows update or a lord-knows-what update has broken something unique to my system/hardware.

It just crashes from the results screen with a blue screen every time. And it's the only software affected.

I think I'll just have to wait for Windows / game updates and test after each one. The problem magically appeared so might magically disappear too.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2021
  7. Skidmark

Ratings:
    +232 / 0 / -0
    Apologies for bumping this post but I thought if it comes up in a future search it would be useful to post my solution.

Unfortunately I decided in the end to go nuclear - a full Windows reset which meant starting from scratch, reformatting C: drive, fresh Windows and everything else installation.

Elapsed time was almost 3 days - beginning with making a backup of everything on C: through to the point where Raceroom was feeling 'right' again.

So far so good. No more crashing the entire PC from Results screen.

I bet whatever was causing the problem was something tiny / trivial. I just didn't have the skills (and/or patience) to isolate it.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2021
  8. Dirty_Wheelz

Dirty_Wheelz New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Its a Raceroom issue, not your computer. Same thing happening to others.
    In a league race last night, we al crashed after the finish.

9. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +355 / 0 / -0
    With a blue screen?

10. Skidmark

Ratings:
    +232 / 0 / -0
    Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo...

[​IMG]

Complete rebuild of PC over the last 3 days. Clean install. Everything the very very latest.

Race 1 - fine. Race 2 - fine. Race 3 - results screen - boom. :(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

I fear you may be right. I don't know what else to do.

11. Skidmark

Ratings:
    +232 / 0 / -0
    This (see image) happens to DDF Racer a lot when he tries to exit a race and go to the Results screen. Game crashes.

I wonder if it's related to the problem that's taking my whole system down with it?

upload_2021-10-20_13-6-52.png

Couple of great races last night by the way, worth a watch -