Game is dying ... game was dying ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Xon3, Dec 4, 2016.

1. Xon3

Xon3 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +171 / 0 / -0
    I wanted to make this post for those who though the game was dying. The game grew a lot after the last patch and if all goes right it should exceed its last peek players. http://steamcharts.com/app/211500

Good time to implement the player ranking system =D ? mabie ? please ?

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475 / 0 / -0
    Definite proof that prime time for me is work/sleep time for 95% of R3E players!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. le_poilu

le_poilu Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    It's always the same: a game is patched, players come to see it.. but do they stay ?
    R3E is like other.. and every-time there's a big patch released you will see the player number growing... and slowly decreasing after that.

Will it be different this time?

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. D.Boon

D.Boon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +386 / 0 / -0
    If R3E "is dying", what's happening to pCars?
    http://steamcharts.com/app/234630
    :D

R3E is showing (very) gradual growth or at least consistent numbers, more than can be said for pCars apparently (based on the average players).

5. Yevgeny Lazorenko

Yevgeny Lazorenko Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +793 / 0 / -0
    In my opinion, Project Cars not even a simulator...

• Agree Agree x 13
    • Disagree Disagree x 3
  6. Squanchy

Squanchy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +66 / 0 / -0
    I've played or tried out PCars, AC, F1 series, RFactor 2, and RaceRoom, and RaceRoom is in the very top of racing games. It's just terrific!

Which is why I think it's even more obvious that the game has under-performed in sales. You can see it has less than a quarter of the number of players of PCars. Even though its gamplay, handling, sounds, FFB, and other features are better than Pcars IMO, and I say this as a long time PCars fan (and new RaceRoom fan.)

Either the game has had a smaller marketing budget, or the "free to play", pay-for-content price model has failed. And I think it has a lot to do with the price model: Look at comments on the game's Steam page and elsewhere online- the price model has had a very very bad rep which has really hurt the game reviews and sales. Even though players end up paying per-content not a lot more than on PCars or F1, they feel conned.

Is it completely justified? Of course not. The internet is a crowd culture and the bad rep has unjustifiably snowballed. Google "Raceroom" and most results deal with the price model. On the other hand, when the game store lists items without real prices, only "virtual race points", and you need to search on the page for how much does a race point cost, only to find it costs "about one euro", than you can see why there is anger.

And it's a damn shame because, again, the game is terrific and deserves a bigger player base.
    Just my two cents.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Don Rudi

Don Rudi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +284 / 0 / -0
    I'd say pCars has a bigger player base, because of all the folks who want to drive street super cars. Raceroom is for real racing fans only and I dare saying there are more using Raceroom than using pCars.

8. Fleskebacon

Fleskebacon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +258 / 0 / -0
    That's one of the things I also love about R3E. Real racing series and group spec cars that are naturally and realistically balanced in performance. Add a whole lot of real life liveries, good ffb, sounds and everything and you've got a winner in my world. ☺

9. James Cook

James Cook Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    The long, dormant spell during the summer and autumn was reflected in the marked decline in player numbers over the same period. To many people, R3E disappeared off the radar whilst the competitors were making progress.

R3E needs to take the little-and-often approach to game updates. Games that take the perpetual beta, continuous development route need to display regular progress to keep people on-board with the project, to give them confidence that it's going somewhere. I appreciate Sector3 have good reasons for releasing large updates less regularly, but it doesn't help in keeping the player-base engaged. Then they also have the ensuing clean-up operation to deal with when the plethora of bugs are discovered.

But anyway, it's good to see a resurgence in player numbers over the last few weeks. The challenge for Sector3 is keeping them playing.

• Agree Agree x 6
  10. j.mcleod

j.mcleod Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    Project Cars fully released over a year ago, had way more players than RRRE has ever seen, and still to this day has four times the players. I didn't enjoy it, but you cannot argue it has been way more successful than RRRE in reaching and maintaining a wide audience.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. DonArturo

DonArturo Active Member

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    Project Cars has been wiped off my harddrive about 2 weeks ago, after not having launched it for months before that. I´d almost go Raceroom-exclusive, if I wasn´t an endurance nerd with the annoying problem of not having much more than 2 hours at a time for racing. Therefore RF2 gets quite some attention besides Raceroom (for Resume from Replay, and the day-night-cycle). Gimme those 2 things, and I´ll gladly become a one-sim-guy ;)

12. fischhaltefolie

fischhaltefolie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,042 / 0 / -0
    S
    Simulating a simulator :p

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. LTC Mike

LTC Mike Active Member

Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    Well, compared to e.g. Arma 3 (white line) racing titles like pCARS (green), AC (blue) and R3E (orange) are all dying :fearscream::smirk:
    [​IMG]

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. Xon3

Xon3 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +171 / 0 / -0
    The thing is they are not dying. Actually AC is doing VERY WELL for a simulator. Racing sims are a very specific category so its normal that they dont have a big player base. But as its been said before, its very unsettling that Pcars and AC have 4 or 5 times the player base NOW and are paid games. Pcars minimum on the 26 Nov was higher than the all time best from R3E.

I think that when R3E implements the player ranking system that they are working on things will look very good though =)

15. le_poilu

le_poilu Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    The most played "driving game" in Steam is Euro Truck simulator :rolleyes:
    http://steamcharts.com/top
    And it totally crush any other racing game with a +25000 peak players :p
    And comparing racing game with anything other than racing game is a bit silly ...

Sadly we don't really have real user data from iRacing to compare, as it seem to be considered as the success of online racing game today.

• Like Like x 2
  16. James Cook

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    Maybe.

In my humble opinion I believe three things are hindering R3E's popularity:

- Always online requirement
    - Lack of custom liveries
    - The sales model

• Agree Agree x 4
  17. n01sname

n01sname Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +956 / 0 / -0
    Yes but from what I heared and read PC is a hop-in-and -enjoy pseudo simulator with just some more gimmicks and gizmo's to attract the average mainstream racer who just wants to hop in and enjoy (like with Gran Tourismo) and these concepts are always more successfull cause they have to be for one sales season only (until the sequel is thrown out)...successfull but not very sustainable.....

@James Cook
    Always online requirement I do understand, but Custom Liveries ? Really ? I actually don't care much about as long as it looks nice - only point for me would be that I don't wanna make PR for some company....and so would prefer a self-made non-commercial livery..
    And the sales model omg not again - people are prejudiced very quickly (in general) and once they'd made up their minds they stick to it no matter what, even if they don't follow the development and they also mostly decide about what others say and not what their heart and common sense is telling them....bet candidates like Triplejay are now nagging at their beloved Steam Forum about R3E...let them, I don't care, cause I prefer a closer, smaller community with dedicated folks instead of oversaturated kids (of what age ever) and as long R3E makes it's way and keeps running - who cares ?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. James Cook

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    Custom liveries are a big thing for leagues. I don't believe R3E will be a serious league platform without custom livery support, as crazy as that may sound.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    custom liveries suck bad arriving late a big pack of custom skins to download and one is just bugged ...., always having to download crap so that someone feels noticed .... sorry but that is pointless everyone chooses a skin a viola you have your skin for the season .. i like the fact that your game is always upto date
    As for the rest , as always online ... i like it , i know im not racing against cheats , we are driving exactly the same untweaked physics package ...

Andi

• Agree Agree x 5
  20. n01sname

n01sname Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +956 / 0 / -0
    But there are a lot of Leagues and Communities from all over the world already there, doing their events without complaints (except for we have a mess like with the recent patch)...just go to the subforum here and follow the links.....(??)