Released Game Update - 20th May 2020

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by J-F Chardon, May 20, 2020.

1. augustkekule

augustkekule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    Try the capri. Nasty at lower speeds, but once you are up to speed and the downforce increases it is extremely fast around corners.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +102 / 0 / -0
    Have you experimented with the sensitivity settings?
    Also with an analoque pad there is much stuff to help you to steer and pedal correctly.

I know about guys, driving in the mid field on keys (yes in old cars like Touring classics with the new physics).

I will spare you with the whole "there is your problem, use a wheel" thing (even if it's helpful) but if you want to drive without assists and sensitivity tweaks on a keyboard or pad and then complain about the physics permanently, i unfortunately think, it's on your side. :D

3. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    Yes, I tried lowering and increasing throttle sensitivity % but that just delays acceleration rather than modulating it and using a pad with analogue joystick and adjusting deadzones and the like. The second was a little better but then steering and braking were worse.

One thing I still could try is manual clutch and dipping the clutch when traction is lost.

Traction control assist ON solves it as does factory TC on cars that that have it but then you run into the problem that most multilpayer rooms for those cars don´t allow assists! I know of some games that have/had steering and traction help for digital controllers that were not actually classed as driver aids as they were in control options like FFB is.

Normally when you buy a game you know what you are getting as the version is stable and if you can´t handle it you ask for a steam refund and move one. The case with RRE is that you pay for DLC but the actual game keeps changing and there is no way back as we all know. A thousand players will all have their own praise and complaints about changes e.g. the FFB is now too strong or now too weak, the sound are better or worse than before, now I get stutters where before it was fine etc etc.

This is my own individual issue but I am just curious to see how many other people are affected.

Last edited: May 21, 2020
  4. CrimsonEminence

Ratings:
    +102 / 0 / -0
    Yes, delaying acceleration is normal for lowering sensitivity. With a digital input you can't just smash the button anyway, when not using TC and ABS.

For an analogue pad...i'm just tempted to record a video right now, to prove, that it is actually possible to drive quite on pace, i was driving GTR2 for 1-2 years on a pad, when my Logitech MOMO was dying, R3E has remains of Race07 with the analogue sectors and i think also still speed sensitive steering angle...it should defo work, but you can't expect miracles. It's a simulation and a wheel is recommended highly for these kind of applications.
    Allowing assists for controller or keyboard players would be a nice step, if the programm aknowledges your hardware in use, but this is not that easy to do, like you might think.

You know, you're getting a sim, that is under consistent development like R3E, i can remember back then, when R3E was announced, that it was communicated as a constantly developed project with online function in use and it wasn't marketed as keyboard game.

I think, i will stop the sparing:
    Get an used G27 and get mindblown of how much more fun you will have, you don't need utr4 sp3cial hardware, and you can get a wheel like this possibly under 100 bucks. You have a shifter, a set of pedals and a pretty decent wheel, that survives a nuclear conflict.^^

5. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    Ideally you would select a custom keyboard / pad setup and load that as your default active configuration so the game would know same as it does your key assignations.

I don´t think anyone would market a game for keyboards but they are in the list of compatible devices, as are digital pads. In the end, analogue devices have to go back to binary at some stage in communication with the computer and the game, don´t they?

6. OldFart

OldFart Active Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    I find this discussion interesting, I do allow all assists on my servers and most of the time it is fairly obvious when keyboards and pads are in use and most of the time all the different controllers do not impact the racing, with a server time around 30mins by mid race the wheel driven cars have separated from the pack, on session with a full grid repeated for several races with the same people and I asked who was using what, I was very surprised to be honest; less than a third were wheels, so clearly there is a demand, I do however believe the server owner should have the option to exclude certain types of controllers if they wish, and as you have to set a controller profile in order to play the should be easy to do, this could of course exclude wheels so works all ways,

7. Dady Cairo

Dady Cairo Active Member

Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0

[​IMG]

Edit:
    Beer without Alcohol
    Meat without fat
    Women without ...
    Raceing without FFB...
    What comes next?:D

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. Loki-D

Loki-D Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    I think its about time the pit menu is fixed, watch Billy's video if you know what I mean.

It needs to be much slicker on the go. Its pretty silly having to confirm your orders.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    Excluding players is maybe not ideal as you are going to get a lot of elitism - I am pretty sure that a really good player will be in front using a wheel, pad or mouse after a bit of practice.

It would be interesting to have some sort of survey of hardware people are using to run the game, it might help the developers choose the best direction not just for physics but also for graphics engine etc etc.

My hunch is there are a lot more people using laptops, digital inputs etc etc than people think as the majority will be casual players who dip in and out and won´t sign up to any forum or invest in the game, due to the recommended specs and the free to play nature.
    Might be a fun Covid lockdown thing to make a short used questionnaire.

10. Gopher04

Gopher04 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +237 / 0 / -0
    Anyone else getting the change in cockpit view fov when coming out of watching a replay, we had this before, or wasn't it fixed? really annoying.

11. Jona777

Jona777 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +409 / 0 / -0
    Had a go with some of the Group 5 monsters (BMW and Nissan Skyline) around Nordschleife and well..
    These cars still are incredible to drive. They, like before, need lots of respect and are i think the most difficult class in Raceroom to drive. No cars for beginners.
    Going full throttle in 3rd and balancing the car to go straight is something special :cool:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    While it's possible to play using digital inputs it's fairly obvious you are never going to have the best experience. Even when I test with an analogue pad it's difficult without assists. When you said you were having difficulty controlling the cars I didn't even imagine you would be trying to drive with a keyboard. You wouldn't expect to jump into a high powered race car only to find that instead of a wheel and pedals you have only 4 buttons on the dashboard with which to control it. The same applies here, game, sim, whatever...it's driving, not typing.

• Agree Agree x 6
    Last edited: May 22, 2020
  13. CrimsonEminence

Ratings:
    +102 / 0 / -0
    Compatible =/= recommended

You are complaining about new physics in R3E all the time, in the forums stating, that the cars are undrivable. Of course the likelyhood of archieving an experience like yours is increased by using a digital button press controller device, isn't it?
    A modern computer is capable to convert 0 and 1 into incremental inputs since decades, this is a very weak argument.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    I will also say that I defended the new physics of the silhouettes and the FRJ, so it is not all doom and gloom!

I accept that playing with these devices is neither ideal nor optimal but, like it or not, there are many others who don´t want to or can´t use wheels and pedals and there are plenty of other games out there that work just fine without a rig for the casual gamer who just wants an hour or so of entertainment at the weekend.

As a paying customer, I have as much right as the next guy to complain about aspects of development I don´t think are positive and by the same rule, the developers are obviously the going to decide whether it is worthwhile doing something or not. Does keeping quiet solve a problem? See how the Chinese handled Covid at first for more details.

If something can be adjusted in control settings without spoiling the physics for everyone else than super, if not worst case there are still all the cars with factory TC or lower power I can use fine. Steering and braking work just great for me with any physics and my times are not bad so it´s just one niggly aspect that is frustrating me.

Last edited: May 22, 2020
  15. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    I feel that using a keyboard is just making a rod for your own back though. I drive in a rig with wheel etc but prior to getting that set up I did a good year in the game on a laptop with a PS4 pad, and I had a lot of fun with it. I stuck mainly to AI races since I never felt competitive enough to race multiplayer and I had some assists turned on, but as a game it was still a great experience. The race sim world is in a place where everyone wants more realistic physics, more realistic tyres, more realistic handling etc etc etc which is great, but it does mean that those who want to pick up and play with a pad (or keyboard even) are just going to have to accept the limitations of their chosen control device. That's just life really.

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    Yes and I can remember some games where the physics got dumbed down to cater for a wider audience and that drove away the original fan base, I think NFS was one such case and Project Cars seems to be a case study on the same subject. As a boy I can remember being so disappointed with some games that had terrible physics and gameplay or just plain crashed and at that time there was no internet or indeed any way to try before you bought, so it was an act of faith buying a game.

Now we are lucky to have so many ways for publishers and gamers to interact and some of the exhanges about physics, FFB and set up have been very interesting to follow. That no two people drive the same or use the same setup is also just life, I guess.

17. Arcson

Arcson Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    A quick question to @Anthony Monteil. Testing the whole group 5 after the update I came to conclusion its BMW 320 in which I feel the most comfortable. But then driving it more and more I started to hear something weird, like the body was scratching the termac at times, but thats not the case. On my video it can be heard when I'm over 80km/h on 1st gear (but also on higher gears, while being on coressponding revs). Is it intended...?

18. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Your video is set to private

19. Arcson

Arcson Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    Woops. Should now be fixed, thank you.

20. fischhaltefolie

fischhaltefolie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,042 / 0 / -0
    I think it's more rev related. Something pneumatic, maybe turbo blowoff valve?