Released Game update - 8th April 2020

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by J-F Chardon, Apr 8, 2020.

1. Clonedemned

Clonedemned Active Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    All in all great stuff! Regarding the shifting, when driving Z4 GT3 i noticed that sometimes i hear "brutal" upshift and sometimes i don't. At first i taught that this could be due to shifts in different rev range but it seems that rev range when i shift does not influence if this happens or not.

2. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +102 / 0 / -0
    I mean...listen to that onboard with a sh***y mic and then listen to the R3E professionally recorded (!) GT3-R and i ask in all honesty, is the R3E version really that well working, cockpit sound wise? (Same for the old GT3-R, you just need to compare old ingame and new ingame onboards of it).

3. HomieFFM

HomieFFM Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +295 / 0 / -0
    ID.R ? Where ?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 11, 2020
  4. OldFart

OldFart Active Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    It is coming very quietly :D:D:D

• Funny Funny x 3
  5. Janno

Janno New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    In a few cars it sounds to me like the volume output of the entire car is upped a few decibels during shifts, which sounds pretty bad to be honest.The R18 also sounds pretty broken. Before the update it sounded spot on to my ears. Now the upshifst seem almost unnatural and during downshifts it clips in the limiter. The 911 GT3R also sounded better to my ears before the update. The gearchanges seem a bit unnatural, instant.
    Also I can't hear any rattling or stones any more, but that may be due to the increase in transmission whine.
    And the transmission 'wobble' sound (i dont know how to call it, the sound when coming on and off throttle mid corner) seems also gone.

The transmission whine itself does sound really nice though, better then before!

I don't want to come over as overly negative, but I am just a bit sad as the sounds were so good before.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2020
  6. MAD MICK

MAD MICK Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    have to say i am really loving the sound of the wtcr cars, great job there! They are the best cars in Raceroom for me just ahead of DTM 16! Had some really good close races with the ai around suzuka and imola in the tcr cars, great fun! There is still a big problem with the ai when they go off track though as they seem to hurtle straight back onto the tarmac defying all laws of gravity and without a care who is around them which slightly spoils the immersion!

7. Niko Schrenker

Niko Schrenker Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Is it just me or does the new revlimiter sound like a damaged lawnmower? Is this sound even realistic?

8. Niko Schrenker

Niko Schrenker Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    In my owned cars list :D

• Wonderful Wonderful x 1
  9. FormelLMS

FormelLMS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    Whoa.... speaking for the DTM 16 and I must say I dislike every thing you have done to the car's sound.
    Transmission whine sounds like when I was 18 and build a Hifi System to my car which gets such a high pitched unnatural sound
    Rev Limiter is way too fast. I have laughed out loud when I've heard it the first time.
    The "brutal" sound while upshifting.... Yes, in my first driving lessons I pressed the clutch to early before upshifting and the engine revs up. Sounds a bit like this but with every upshift.

Come on guys, all in all, this is the wrong way. Now it sounds like a game and not like a simulation anymore.

Get a few minutes in iRacing M8. This is, what I call brutal. This sound in pit limiter, brutal power against the transmission, wanting forward with all force.

I'm really sorry to say. But I really hope you can go the real way again.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Hygge

Hygge Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    This!

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. memoNo1

memoNo1 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    The strength of AI has also changed massively. I have to go down to 95% now. Before the update it was 105% .

12. Nico Kunze

Nico Kunze Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +395 / 0 / -0
    Must be car specific tho. I ran races with the daytona prototype just before and just after the update on the same strength and there was no noticeable difference in performance at all

13. memoNo1

memoNo1 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    That may well be possible.
    I started a quick test yesterday.
    GT3 at the Nürburgring GP (fast chicane) with 100%. The fastest AI drove a high 1: 54xxx time (Qualyfication).
    Before the update, the GT3 drove at 105% the same time. the same applies to group 4.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2020
  14. MiyazonoKaori

MiyazonoKaori New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Please Help

Attached Files:

15. MattStone

MattStone Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +169 / 0 / -0
    Yeah I think they have increased the speed of the AI across the board and that's a good thing because there were many classes of cars and tracks where I could easily beat the AI at 120

I'm now finding the GT1's speed is great; they are about 5-7 % AI strength faster eg if they were at 120 I now set the ai around 112% for the same speed

Stuffs up our adaptive ai file but it will sort itself out after a few runs, so glad they done it tho

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Anthony Monteil

Anthony Monteil KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +1,199 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for your nice words! :)

About the M6 GT3, it doesn't have a separate transmission sound because its own transmission sound was too loud in the recordings (we recorded this car during the Silverstone GT Open race). The same happened with the 911 GT3 R.
    In this situation, the only option is to keep the actual transmission sound in the engine samples, and to mute the separate transmission triggers.
    Obviously, it's not the best way to get a realistic transmission ramp, but in the M6 case, the result is really close to what happens in the real car so it was a no brainer.

As for the backfires sounds in cockpit, they're indeed inactive for now, except in open wheels cars.
    The reason is simple : we cannot use specific samples for internal and external backfires, basically we have to use the same backfires sounds for both cockpit and external views.
    This made for crual decisions and we initially choosed that the external backfires would be heard in cockpit (this was the situation until last update). It was nonetheless very unsatisfying, especially when using headphones, which is the case for a majority of our players. Indeed, hearing these sharp and mono backfire sounds into a cockpit is nothing realistic, as in real life the backfires are resonating all over the cockpit space, so it didn't make sense.

The plan is to add the possibility to use some specific samples for the cockpit view, which will be much better, hopefully in a next game update.;)

• Like Like x 6
    • Informative Informative x 2
  17. Anthony Monteil

Ratings:
    +1,199 / 0 / -0

Actually, the 911 GT3 R transmission sound is sampled from the real car. But of course, the volume is adjusted much weaker than in the real car.
    As for the 911 GT3 R engine sounds themselves, I won't tell the whole story about the recordings for this car again, it's just that we recorded this car twice in a 2-years interval, and the transmission is so loud that it's impossible to use any of these recordings to create the ingame sounds.
    Basically, it's not possible to get some "clean" cockpit engine recordings for this car, so I had to use some others sources to make this sound and in this case, the audio quality wasn't the best.
    I'm still looking for some good onboard recordings for the 911 GT3R (and most of all something where the transmission is not insanely loud as in most YT videos i.e ), and as soon as I'll have something good enough, I'll replace this sound. ;)

• Like Like x 7
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
  18. Anthony Monteil

Ratings:
    +1,199 / 0 / -0
    There's no "ideal" or "recommended" transmission volume per se.

In real life, the transmission level is quite variable from one car to another, but for the modern cars it tends to be louder and louder,
    as the engine are also getting quieter or at least much more muffled than with the older cars.

In most of modern GT and Touring Cars, the transmission is now very loud compared to the engine, and sometimes it almost completely covers the engine. ;)

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  19. Niko Schrenker

Niko Schrenker Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    @Anthony Monteil why does the Rev limiter now sound so odd and almost all the same in every car? It sounds too fast, reminds me of a lawn mower.

20. Ami_M3

Ami_M3 Member

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    Compared to the original release of both GT3R and Porsche Cup, when one of the cars had rev dependent transmission whine (I don't remember exactly but I think it was a GT3 Cup), you've done wonders already. Big thanks for that.

To all that want louder transmission whine - just reduce the engine sound while keeping the transmission at 100%. For the most cars I lower the engine sound to 30-35% and keep tranny whine at 100% and it works great. Well, at least if you are on speakers. I once had to use headphones and that setting was too much for my ears as they started bleeding after a couple of laps, but for speakers it's pretty natural.

• Like Like x 1