Problem Gamepad rumble won't stop.

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by Sayjimwoo, Feb 20, 2017.

1. Sayjimwoo

Sayjimwoo Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    I am currently re-arranging my home so my wheel is temporary out of the way. I am using the Xbox One wireless gamepad for a time.
    One thing I have noticed, is that once the pad starts rumbling from a car nudge, it never stops rumbling. I have to quit to the menu which stops the rumbling, then jump back into the race. If I don't do this then my hands are a shaking wreck by the time I have finished a race. What could be keeping the rumble going? Going over kerbs etc, it seems okay. It is just the intense rumbling that doesn't seem to stop. Any advice would be much appreciated. No other racing game does this. Thanks in advance.

2. ChatCureuil

ChatCureuil Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +308 / 0 / -0
    Hi,

I use a PS3 Gamepad and it was vibrating 100% of the time while driving, so I disabled the FFB in options and that's fine. ^^

3. AlleyViper

AlleyViper Active Member

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    I've also reported the same with a Xbox One Controller running wired (tested on two very different PCs): at a certain point the left motor starts shaking at maximum strength non-stop, and only going back to menu stops that "stuck" effect. It has also happened after a bump in the road, not only from car collisions. But I also have another problem reported in this post, that I'd like to know if you experience on your system. Both problems never happened on my older Xbox 360 Controller.
    Also, which firmware are you on? The Xbox Acessories app (from Windows 10 Store is needed to check it or update it (even if it asks for a log in, you can skip the Xbox Profile pop up).
    Thanks!

4. MeMotS

MeMotS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,056 / 0 / -0
    Same thing happens with xb one gamepad on dirt rally. Not sure if its a windows driver thing.

5. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    I dont have much of a clue what could be causing vibration on the XB1 pad when it isnt supposed to vibrate... But the fix for that may be more elusive than we would hope. Paraphrasing a response from the devs I got, "XB1 gamepad support in Windows is a mess."

So, I think a good chunk of the outstanding issues and reason support for the XB1 pad took so long, is that Micrsoft has terrible support for those gamepads on PC at a base level.

Could be wrong there... but perhaps not.

6. AlleyViper

AlleyViper Active Member

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    Weird, on my side it's perfectly fine on Dirt Rally (it's the older controller without 3.5mm). These pads were supposed to be updated with the latest 2.3.2381.0 firmware that the Xbox Accessories app installs after Windows Anniversary came out (10.0.14393.0 driver) due to wireless connectivity updates, you might look into that. But if you don't get same weird vibration still working after exiting R3E, there's a chance it might be related to this particular firmware.
    Unfortunately I've never tested R3E with the original one, but at least it doesn't seem system related. I've tried it on the SB750 USB ports of my MB, on a dedicated NEC USB 3.0 card, and in a haswell based laptop without any change.

7. MeMotS

MeMotS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,056 / 0 / -0
    I just tried it quickly in R3e and it seems ok.
    there is some road vibration that happen then it stops.
    Seems ok in r3e but dirt was a constant vibration.
    I am using a Xbo gamepad that does not have the 3.5mm jack.

8. AlleyViper

AlleyViper Active Member

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    I can easily trigger the constant vibration problem if I pick up the 190E DTM 92', and do a couple of laps in Nurb GP. Not the maximum strenght effect that goes away by going back to the menu, but the weird autonomous vibration that comes and goes even after exiting the game.
    My controller is also the older version without a 3.5mm jack. What driver and firmware are you on? Thanks

9. MeMotS

MeMotS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,056 / 0 / -0
    Well i am not sure what the current version of the firmware is. But while i was trying to find out i downloaded the Xbox accessories tool and its telling me i need to update it. Should I?? :p

10. AlleyViper

AlleyViper Active Member

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    Oh, it should have the original firmware then. If you let it update, it should update to the same version I'm on.
    I don't know of any way to revert to the previous one, so if you update it, there's a risk that you'll be facing the same problem on R3E as I do from now on (keeps on vibration on a weird pattern even after exiting the game, and when it triggers, it'll interfere with the game's own vibration events). Only do it if you don't care about using R3E on it.
    On the other hand, I've never had a stuck vibration problem on my Xbox Controller with Dirt Rally. Only tested on current firmware, maybe ~7h of gameplay.

11. MeMotS

MeMotS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,056 / 0 / -0
    ok well i got the same thing you mentioned in R3e without updated it. Just vibration on road feel that would fade away and come back.
    I will update it and see what happens in dirt Rally.
    I don't use the gamepad at all when racing i tested it because @ChatCureuil mentioned it.
    Not a real issue for me but thanks for the info @AlleyViper

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. AlleyViper

AlleyViper Active Member

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    That's exactly it, feels like road vibration coming and going in a loop even when the game's not playing. Thanks for letting me know that it doesn't seem firmware related. Oh, after the update, the controller will vibrate once when it's turned on (like when starting the computer for the first time, or plugging the USB cable), that's an expected behavior.

Also, if you have any official accessories like a chat pad, IIRC they should be plugged when doing the update because they'll also need compatible firmware to match the controller.

• Wonderful Wonderful x 1
  13. MeMotS

MeMotS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,056 / 0 / -0
    well i was curious and did more testing.
    I can say without a doubt that Xbox one controller updated or not is broken.
    The is no braking feel or bump feel. Wall curb ect .. doesnt matter it vibrates radomly. If you hit start and go into the menu it keep vibrating then you exit the game and will continue as if some delay existed and was still sending to the gamepad.

Then I hooked up the good old Xbox 360 wireless dongle and sync my trusty 360 gamepad to it and that works perfectly. Kerb bump everything. all good.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
  14. AlleyViper

AlleyViper Active Member

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    Same experience here. On my other system the old 360 works perfectly (you can feel kerbs, etc), while the Xbox One controller starts to vibrate out of synch after driving some meters (probably after something that causes a prolonged effect), then sometimes a period of zero efffects will come and it'll return to doing its weird stuff later, until finally it doesn't stop even if you exit the game.
    I'm curious if anyone with the newer 3.5mm version suffers the same problem, as they use other firmware. The weird thing, is that it only happens on R3E. I've tried to selectively disable certain effects, but it doesn't help.

Hope you get your problem sorted on Dirt, if not, tell me in which conditions it happens so I can test too. My other >80h of gameply were done on a 360, so I can't swear mine is free from it even if I've never experienced it.

Edit: @mods If devs come across this and have trouble to reproduce the issue, let me know so I can run any required debug tool so the problem is better understood.

Edit2: Noticed another problem: If the game is set to FFB disabled (and started like that), then after exiting the R3E the controller won't vibrate again on other games.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
  15. AlleyViper

AlleyViper Active Member

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    Btw, I know it's unsupported, but I can give feedback in advance that using the latest Windows 10 RS2 1703 b15063.0 (which will probably be released as final next month) uses newer drivers for the Xbox One Controller (10.0.15063.0, dated 17/03/2017) , but the issue with R3E remains unsolved.

16. Kitsune Magyar

Kitsune Magyar Professional Betatester Developer

Ratings:
    +9,236 / 0 / -0
    Logged in our bugtracker, to be forgotten fixed when we have time. (Soon™).

• Like Like x 1
  17. AlleyViper

AlleyViper Active Member

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for looking into this, playing without vibration info is very difficult for players like me that don't use forced assists and rely on it to feel the grip limit (way more than sound).

18. Kitsune Magyar

Kitsune Magyar Professional Betatester Developer

Ratings:
    +9,236 / 0 / -0
    I have the XBox One controller at home and this happens to me once in a while too. Unacceptable! :mad:
    Seems like it would be an easy fix, unfortunately I made the wrong decision and didn't study programming so I can't deal with it myself. We'll have to wait for our tamed programmer to handle this once he has time. :)