Gear change at maximal BHP

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Alex, Feb 12, 2015.

1. Alex

Alex Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +51 / 0 / -0
    Hello,

I've been reading the Race Department setup guide which was written for Race 07.
    In the gear section, it states that you should shift when your engine is in it's maximal BHP to maintain the acceleration, instead of reaching the rev limit and then change.
    I've done some practice laps some time ago (I think it was with BMW M3 GT2) and I can't remember seeing much or any difference, but maybe that's just me.

What I'd like to ask you:
    1. Is this implemented in R3E?
    2. If so, is it implemented in all cars?
    3. Maximum engine BHP is when the LCD lights are all light except red? (Or blue in those other LCDs)
    And finally, this is more of a request, could you implement an Info page about each car, on the car selection menu? Sometimes I'd like to know it's BHP, if it's FWD or RWD, without having to go to the store. If one could get a little chart with BHP and torque distribution it would be awesome.

Best regards and keep up the great work!

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Ernie

Ernie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    +1

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Alex

Alex Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +51 / 0 / -0
    If any dev is reading, can you give some more info on this subject? :p

4. MaXyM

MaXyM Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    I believe it depends on torque/power characteristic and also gearing so not sure if it is general rule.

But please note, that car should accelerate on lower gear better than on higher one.
    It means, if car doesn't accelerate on n gear any-more, it will no accelerate on gear n+1.

Of course, it's true that car accelerates better in high torque range. however the torque is multiplied (divided) by gearing ratio which lowers it to values below ones available on previous gear

• Like Like x 1
  5. Alex

Alex Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +51 / 0 / -0
    I see, I understand.
    Then this should be taken into account in the sim, in that it is integral part of the simulation. If that's the case then my questions #1 and #2 are answered. Maybe I've tested with gear settings that wouldn't produce very different results.

Glad to hear thoughts about question #3 :)

6. GroovyMotion

GroovyMotion Active Member

Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -0
    I too would like to know the specs of the cars, I know it's more common in "realistic racing games" and not sims but at least help us compare cars within the same class. Don't get me wrong, I try all cars in each class and compare them but it would be nice to know that x car is faster in straight lines than Y and Y has better cornering and Z car has better braking.

7. le_poilu

le_poilu Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    It's true that it's pointless to go further than max power engine rev.
    But it depends on the gears ratio. Sometimes if you change gear at max power, rev engine will go too low on the next gear and you'll lose speed. It can be good to push a little bit to have a better rev on the next gear.

• Like Like x 1