glad I discovered r3e + suggestions for improvements

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by brightHand, Jun 22, 2015.

1. brightHand

brightHand Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    I think I was reading comments under a video of assetto corsa or some article that was not related at all to r3e, and someone just mentioned that "race room experience is good now." I never heard of raceroom but like to explore new avenues, and was wondering if there was a sim that would cause me to pour as much time into it as I have assetto corsa (115 hours). I found r3e on steam, along with content that was 50% off, so I bought the gt masters, along with the 1992DTMs + Macau. Man! what a sim. I love the selection of cars and tracks, and especially all of the stick-shift classics from various groups (I've been test driving them). Physics are excellent and unforgiving. FFB, and sound, details around the track that contribute so much to the immersion, and the car models, though I did detect a slightly lower polygon count, were still very good looking and well modeled (cockpits included). there is so much more that I could say about this sim but this is actually not the purpose of this thread. I am thinking about the future of R3E and what it would take for me to make a permanent residence in this sim. Here are my thoughts:

first off, I'm not going to mention the mechanics and subsystems that other sim racers have been requesting (track temp, oil temp, tires, and such), as I am sure that YOU guys are aware of their necessity, and I have faith that you will place them in, in time, as your goal is to make a great simulator. I just want to mention two aspects of the game that lean more on the cosmetic side, but I believe would greatly enhance the game nonetheless.

-You guys at sector 3 have done an amazing job graphically. coming from the frozen and barren tracks from AC, I was refreshed to find a beautiful color pallet, with trees swaying in the wind, crowds of people, waving flags, and snapping photos, track officials going about their business, and majestic skyboxes. You also have glowing break pads, and your rock textures look more rigid and natural. Overall, your track detail and environment is one of the major components that contribute to the immersion (in addition to all of your many other strengths). -BUT all of this is being underminded by directx 9. The soul reason why I can race on AC's tracks, in AC's cars, and think that it looks slightly better than r3e, is due almost entirely to the fact that they cast more natural looking light on their objects and environments via dx 11 hdr lighting and advanced shaders that make carbon fiber and leather feel like you are touching them with your eyeballs; the same is true for the glow of the LED lights along the dashboard and so on. If you were to reduce AC's lighting and shaders to dx 9, I think the surroundings would look worse than r3e; just imagine the visual assault on the eyes that your game would be if it were allowed to unleash its full potential via direct x 11 lighting and shaders?

-Next thing that would complete this sim for me would be adverse weather, along with night racing. It doesn't even have to be dynamic; presets will surely satisfy my yearning. I'm not one of those who request the changes and not take advantage of them; I drive the ring in AC using the heavy clouds preset, by DEFAULT -why? because it is INTERESTING and immersive. I would love to race in rain for extra challenge and slippage.

That is all! no long list, because your sim is THAT good already. I'd be interested in some Imola and Mugello, with an Aston Martin, but other than that, if the above mentioned changes took place, I'd probably uninstall AC. Not because AC is bad - because it is AMAZING and those guys at Kunos are also cool and deserve all the praise they get, but because I'm a simple kind of person who likes to keep his experiences focused. So I have to cut one of the two sims that I have installed and I really want the sim that remains on my PC to be R3E. I'm glad I found this sim and hope to see its presence augment within the sim racing genre.

edit: ah! I forgot to mention a little detail: please also add 3d grass, like in assetto corsa- it shouldn't be too taxing, and it makes the world more tangible.

• Like Like x 10
    • Winner Winner x 1
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2015
  2. shardshunt

shardshunt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +490 / 0 / -0
    there has been talk about weather but if it is coming it will not be soon. in raceroom when the devs do something they want to do it right. you may know about project cars which had the opposite approach. for example weather in p cars is a simple global grip modifier and no dry/drying lines are formed. also they used windshield animations which looked like gtr2. doing a very good weather system takes time there are a lot of things to look at for everyone in the team: sound, ai, graphics, physics. and probably more i cant think of. to me weather is a important part of racing but it has to be as real as possible and currently the only game with a ok weather system is f1 2015 (when it comes out) if you look at the game play videos you can see a drying line and puddles and all that good stuff.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Rodger Davies

Rodger Davies Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    rFactor2 has a great weather system. I can't say I miss it that much; would be nice but not essential. It's better than the PCARS career mode where the weather is identical in each season, so if you run a GT3 season twice in a row the weather changes in exactly the same way in each race of the season.

Would love to see different times for different sessions in R3E though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. brightHand

brightHand Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    I would also like to add that in addition to offering better shadowing, dynamic more realistic lighting and better shading, Dx 11 also increases optimization and raises framerates. I really think this games graphics would kill assetto corsa's graphics if it upgraded to dx11.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1