good H shifter options?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Barracuda318, Aug 26, 2018.

1. Barracuda318

Barracuda318 Member

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    I am looking to upgrade from my G25 H shifter to something better
    I never use sequential so that is not a consideration,
    I have never used anything other than my G25, (except for real car shifters)
    on a scale of 1-10 how would you rate the

Logitech G25/27/29/920
    cheap, plasticky toy like flimsy small dinky

Thrustmaster TH8A
    looks good, metal, realistic long shifter throw,

Fanatec SQ V 1.5
    built like a brick %#$@ house, looks like a brick $%&^ house

Last edited: Aug 26, 2018
  2. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    Maybe wait for heusinkveld building an h-pattern. I heard somewhere that they're going to have one.
    I currently have the th8a and thought about getting the Fanatec one but then I heard of heusinkveld bringing one up.

3. Paul Darke

Paul Darke Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +249 / 0 / -0
    Have owned the TH8A, Now own the Fanatec shifter. All I can say is I wouldn't go back.

• Agree Agree x 5
  4. OtterNas3

OtterNas3 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +315 / 0 / -0
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    I'd like a metal one more than this 3d-printed stuff tbh

still waiting for the heusinkveld h-shifter. Last time I heard of it was Sim racing expo 2017

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2018
  6. OtterNas3

Ratings:
    +315 / 0 / -0
    It's just the case, the internal stuff is metal.
    And sure it does not look as "shiny" as a Fanatec, but it also does not make your wallet cry.

And as mentioned just a alternative ;)

• Like Like x 1
  7. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Since 12-18 months I occassionally pick up this rumour that Fanatec is working on a new model, smaller one than their existing one. But I never saw any substantial hints for that rumour.
    For people with the need to mount up and down their wheels to their workign table, the big existing models are not really that handy: too big. The model of the G27 worked best by size (and addiztonal buttons on it). Of course, it was a reatively light mechanism and could not easily be mounted on a PC not also using a Logitech G27 wheel.

Thus since I got my Fanatec CLS Elite PS4 wheel I do not have H-shifters in use anymore. (Thats a hint at fanatec, there really is a market gap, I think, I know for sure that I am not alone with my hesitations to go with the existing stuff).

8. Barracuda318

Barracuda318 Member

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    interesting option, price is good, just not sure how it compares to the other shifters I listed
    still looking for a 1-10 rating from those who have used any of these shifters

9. Paul Darke

Paul Darke Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +249 / 0 / -0
    My shifters rated in order
    Logitech G25 = 6
    TH8A = 8
    Fanatec = 10

10. OtterNas3

Ratings:
    +315 / 0 / -0
    • Logitech = 4 - too flumsy
    • TH8A = 7 - Good solid Shifter for medium advanced racing, bit pricey and lacking a Sequential/H-Pattern mode switch
    • Fanatec = 9 - Best Shifter using it for quite a while now, but not a 10 because the price is just insane
    • SHH = 9 - Not tested it myself but price is decent, quality is good and the reviews i heared are very positive, not a 10 cause of 3D printed case, not everyone like that
    Heusinkveld = ? - Not yet heared anything about it but i'm sure it is solid

11. Fanapryde

Fanapryde Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    Logitech = 4 (toyish)
    TH8A = 6 (with custom alu short shift H and SQ plates) Does not feel right (even modded) and too much hassle changing from H to SQ
    Fanatec SSW SQ = 8 (good, solid, big, made to last, easy switch from H to SQ, though I needed to change the resistance when switching to get the 'right' feel. Which is why I bought the Heusinkveld SQ shifter and using both now.

Still waiting for the Heusinkveld H-shifter which 'might' have a SQ mode too (not sure yet).

The Frex would be nice too...

As for the SHH: I don't really like the 3d printed stuff, looks too shabby. A friend bought it, but sold it again before I had a chance to try it. He's using the Fanatec right now.

12. Barracuda318

Barracuda318 Member

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    OK that's the type of info I am looking for, thanks everyone
    as I stated earlier I will never use sequential mode, so I am giving the TH8A +1
    and I am used to manual transmissions with a longer shifter throw
    really trying to get an idea if the TH8A is closer to the G25 or Fanatec
    without ever using the Fanatec or TH8A and just checking out reviews, my impression was the TH8A was a GREAT improvement over the G25, and the Fanatec was a only a bit better than the TH8A, or to put it another way
    G25 = 1=2
    TH8A = 6-8
    Fanatec = 9-10
    so it looks like I was in the ball park, the reason I am leaning towards the TH8A is it is around $100 cheaper,
    and I would rather put the extra $$$ toward a load cell brake pedal,

13. heppsan

heppsan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    I have this shifter as well, and I really like it!
    Really cheap, and easy to switch between H and SQ.

The TH8A mostly get closer ratings to Fanatec than G25-27 because of the build quality, and easy mounting. When it comes to feel, I would say that the difference from TH8A to Fanatec is greater than the difference from a G27 to the TH8A.
    The throw of the TH8A is a bit longer than the Fanatec though, but not much.

Edit: You could try to mod your G25 by the way, I still use my G27 for right hand side cars, and I use the 3DRAP V3 mod:
    https://www.3drap.it/product/mod-cambio-v3-h-shifter-logitech-g25-g27-g29-g920-improved-feel/

Last edited: Aug 27, 2018
  14. Tuborg

Tuborg Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +457 / 0 / -0
    The most serious reviewer.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    i love barry... I entrust my sim-racer-life to him...

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Barracuda318

Barracuda318 Member

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    that was one of the reviews that had me sold on the TH8A,
    I am more than a bit disappointed to hear that the feel is closer to the G25
    I thought the mushiness of the G25 was due to it being plastic, and both metal options would feel similar,
    alas I ordered a cheap under $100 TH8A I guess I can sell it and get the Fanatec if it is not to my liking
    another review, basically saying that the TH8A is not as nice as the Thrustmaster, but is far better than the G25

17. ndwthx1138

ndwthx1138 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    Stick to Barry and the sim racing garage.. very good reviews with just about all the data you could want.

The other guy has steered me wrong a couple times sadly.

Edited - just to be more clear.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2018
  18. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    With "this guy" you mean Shaun cole?

19. ndwthx1138

ndwthx1138 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    I do.. to each their own of course. I won’t talk trash and I mean no disrespect. A couple of his reviews I found to be pretty rough relative to my own experiences.

Barry on the other hand is pretty fact and figure oriented/driven with a final opinion which you can digest however you wish. It feels a lot less like a advertisement.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Tuborg

Tuborg Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +457 / 0 / -0
    If money is'nt a factor for you and you want resistance and a lot of KLONKE - TI - KLATCH! :D

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1