GPU blown

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Zotac Ten80, Apr 2, 2018.

1. Zotac Ten80

Zotac Ten80 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    hi all, the Netherlands here. i’ll try this in english.
    Last month my GPU, a geforce zotac gtx 1080 AMP Xtreme 8GB exploded and i didnt knew what was going on.
    I finished a race and as always when i finish a race in raceroom the game freezes for 1 a 2 sec the moment i pass the finishline. So the game froze, the 3 monitors turned black, i heard a fan spinning like crazy, a big puf of black smoke and a flash coming out of the GPU and that was the end of it. I didnt realize much at that moment i was stunned. I’ve sended the GPU to the store where it was bought because there is still waranty and my pc i brought to a store for analyzes to see if there was more damage to the system. The pc was fine so i bought a new GPU because i was told it could take a while for my original card to come back (its been 5 weeks now)
    Anyways, when i started uo raceroom i noticed the freezing on the finishline. Before i didnt pay much attention to it. I mean its the game how it is. This time i was monitoring the pc with task manager and a GPU engine. I’ve noticed that when i race the GPU (gigabyte aorus 1060 6GB) runs at 100% all the time and it flashes red, indicating there something not right..i guess. My CPU usage is depending the track and amount of cars between 70/80% something..
    But, at the finish, when the game freezes for those split seconds it jumps up to 100% and flashes red also.
    The GPU usage stays at 100% untill i change the screen all the way back to the lobby. Only then it lowers.

So now i’ve these questions,
    Has someone heard of this situation before?
    Is it normal that the game freezes for a moment when you finish a raceroom race?
    And Is it normal that your CPU peaks upto 100% usage at that moment of finishing? (Taskmanager shows during races)
    And does your GPU peaks 100% usage most of the time during a race?

Thanks in advance.

Gigabyte GA-Z270X-3
    i5 6600k thermaltake water 3.0
    Gigabyte gefore gtx 1060 6GB rev. 2.0
    (Display ports in use. No oc.)
    PSU 1500watt coolmaster
    Kingston hyperX Black Savage 2666 DDR4 8gb

2. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    (Wtf... a 1500W PSU for an i5 and a 1080? Woah.)

I personally never checked my GPU and CPU usage in raceroom. Maybe I should try that and see if it shows a similar.... anomaly...

But the freezes at race end are normal.

3. ndwthx1138

ndwthx1138 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    I run a monitoring software along with a over clocking software. I’ve adjusted my fan settings relative to gpu temp.

I’ve literally never seen my gpu hit 100% in raceroom. I am running in VR and many others have noted we get stuttering despite the gpu usually running sub 90%.

Now I have seen the cpu hit 100%. Running 18 AI at the start of a race (especially Sonoma which I literally cannot play due to stuttering, despite being on a titan pascal gpu and a i7 extreme both over clocked).

Long winded, but the point is - I’ve never seen the gpu hit 100% in raceroom. Iracing and assetto corsa - yes. So my temps are generally fine.

I do get that 1-2 second pause coming across the finish line - but my monitoring software shows gpu doing nothing abnormal.

4. Alexander Asner

Alexander Asner Active Member

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    Same here. The limiting factor in RR is clearly the CPU (i7-8700k) for me. My GPU usually idles around in VR waiting for the CPU to get the job done.

5. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    the pause coming across the finish line is caused by the video of the race recording i believe.....

Andi

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    This. Simple way to test this is adding -disableReplay as a startup parameter in Steam (right-click game in steam, properties, launch options is what it's called iirc).

7. Zotac Ten80

Zotac Ten80 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks you all for your reply’s. I will try shutting down the replay option.
    Cheers

8. Zotac Ten80

Zotac Ten80 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I’m curious what readings your taskmanager show. Would be nice to compare. Thanks