Graphical Settings to reduce shadow pop-in

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kcoxphoto, Jan 18, 2020.

1. kcoxphoto

kcoxphoto Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    I've been noticing more and more frequently that shadows and other track textures are popping in. Just to clarify I have the time movement cycle turned off. It seemed to be even more pronounced with any sort of time cycle movement. Any recommendations? Is this a draw distance limitation or issue with shadow on particular tracks?

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. MattStone

MattStone Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +169 / 0 / -0
    Are you running triples?

3. kcoxphoto

kcoxphoto Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    No Single. LG B9 running at 1440p.

4. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    Why? I'm about to be running triples!

5. silvanob2

silvanob2 Active Member

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    I am running triples, what i did was to eliminate shadows (not shadows on cars, the others) and add blur to smooth backround when making a turn.
    Unless i do that, the backround stuttert in curves.

6. javi_crash

javi_crash Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
  7. 2ndLastJedi

Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    I have track side billboards popping out on the side screens ! They are there on the center screen but disappear on either side screens ! Is there a fix for this ?

8. MattStone

Ratings:
    +169 / 0 / -0
    ...this was why I was asking the question about running trip screens

You can add a switch to the very end of the start up argument
    Just add a 1 at the end and this will reduce the object culling BUT it does use more resources

But depending on your FOV you may find that some objects like cones stoll pop out of view near the edges of your outside monitors

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. MattStone

Ratings:
    +169 / 0 / -0
    Have you solved this? if not what are all your shadow settings set at

10. 2ndLastJedi

Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    Your my hero ! Thanks mate , that fixed the culling issue :)
    As for the FOV , it doesnt seem to have an effect going from 0.5 to 1.3 but ive now worked mine out to be 0.75 so put in 0.7 in game and 0.75 in the config file .

• Like Like x 1
  11. Bull Shark

Bull Shark Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    Yeah I have put the 1 in the launch option as well indeed. Never tried it without. Lol. Good to hear it is solved for you. As far as I understand is the FOV calculated with the launch parameters. I did set them in the config file like you did but I don’t see any difference as well. All in all, I leave it as it is because it is fine. When I reset the view (FOV) it lines up as it should be. The ingame wheel matches my own wheel, (height). Occasionally in some cars I have to move a bit backwards or downward/upwards to match the wheel but that is mostly a minor adjustment.

12. MattStone

Ratings:
    +169 / 0 / -0
    The FOV slider in game doesn't work when you are using triples
    BUT if you map keys to the triScr forward and backward button; that is effectively adjusts the FOV

Your FOV is automatically calculated based on the parameter A [distanceFromPlayerEyesToMiddleScreen]
    So measure that distance (eye to screen) and add it to the StartUp parameter; then when in game you can adjust the TriScr forward and Backward with your keys to effectively finetune parameter A and make the FOV feel comfortable.

Maping keys to and Adjusting TriScr Up and Down is effectively finetunes parameter B [verticalOffsetOfPlayerGazeFromMiddleScreenCenter]
    You use the TriScr up/down keys are used to get a straight intersecting line between your center to outer monitors. For example you can correct the effect of guardrails kinking we they move from the center monitor to an outside monitor OR another example stopping the dashboard of the car kinking up or down as it moves between the center and outside monitors

SO it's important to note that mapping the TriScr IS NOT used to adjust your cars seating position; it's used to fine tune your view perspective view (the relationship of your eyes and your screen)

If you want want to adjust the up/down forward/back for you ingame seat then you map to the seat adjustment buttons

Hope that makes sense lol

It can take a bit of fiddling around but it feels like magic when you get it all right :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. 2ndLastJedi

Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    Man thanks for this info, now I know who to ask for any help! You have a lot of knowledge.... So is there any way to adjust the tilt of the seat?
    That TriScr will be very helpful and getting those billboards to stay rendered is huge. Thanks again.

14. MattStone

Ratings:
    +169 / 0 / -0
    Unfortunately not :(
    Adjusting the tilt of your seat is effectively adjusting the tilt of your eye view so I suspect such that sort of setting would stuff up the perspective view so you would get kinked lines between the inside and outside monitors; tilting the seat is just like adjusting the TriScrn up/down and that setting needs to be perfect to prevent those kinks

To be honest tho it once was something that I missed when first setting up my triples but once I got my settings right I can honestly say I don't miss it. I you feel the need for it it possibly means something wrong elsewhere!

I think I lot of people want to tilt their view so they can see their cockpit gauges.
    If you want to see your gauges in the correct perspective the bottom of your monitors would have be lower than the center of your wheel so you would need a very large monitor to facilitate that.

I use 25 inch monitors and the bottom of my monitors are effectively just above my wheel base so in 90% of the cars all I see is the top of the dash; I don't see any gauges and occasionally just see the rev lights on some vehicles.
    If you are seeing the dashboard gauges that means your FOV is waaaaay to far back

I use my android phone with a program called DashPanel; I fricken love it and I'm about to go out and buy an 8' tablet just to make my dash a bit bigger. I'll take a picture tonight so you can see my setup

• Like Like x 1
  15. 2ndLastJedi

Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    I don't want to see the in game dash, I just must be off with some numbers because I still getting it all sorted. I use Simhub and fricken love it!
    If I adjust bezel correction in nVidia surround do I use that resolution and put 0 in the launch parameters?
    Would you be so kind as to confirm my numbers?
    My screens are 60cm wide, 34cm high, bezels are 0.5cm and I sit 63cm from centre of all monitors and they are 50 degrees.
    So what would I enter into the launch parameters?

16. 2ndLastJedi

Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    Here is my rig :)
    Do you have any hidden /less known tips for any other Sims?

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  17. MattStone

Ratings:
    +169 / 0 / -0
    Well I can say is now that I've seen your rig I'm jealous so ......FUCK YOU :p
    I wish I had monitors that size but I can see that you are pretty much set up the same as me but I have small monitors.

I do think that you are sitting too high in the virtual cockpit tho but that's hard to tell from a pic due to it been so dependant on the perspective from you eyes when sitting in your actual seat.

But what has got me most curious tho is that the left hand and right hand mirror seem to be similarly located on your outside screens. On my setup the left hand is like yours just in from the inside edge but my right hand mirror is mid to outer edge on my right monitor. This could be an illusion from your picture and because of your larger screen but realistically if you are sitting in a seat of a real car your head would have to turn to the right to look in the right side mirror; from your image it looks like you can just move your eyes there without moving your head. But like I said it could just be the perspective of the photo.

RE other Sims
    I've got pretty much most of them but to be honest after playing R3E I can stand any of them. The FFB, the sound, the graphics, the AI (even with it's problems) are so good in R3E that is spoils the others for me so I pretty much race R3E exclusively.....yup I'm a 100% fanboy

Just some questions re your monitors
    1. What are they?
    2. What's resolution?
    3. What refresh rate are they?
    4. Do you have ghosting when things move across the screen like billboards etc when turning a corner?

• Like Like x 1
  18. MattStone

Ratings:
    +169 / 0 / -0
    My office desk during the day becomes my racing rig at night
    [​IMG]

Then to turn it into my racing rig I place a custom made triple monitor stand on the desk which has guides to slot my monitors into and is adjusted to the right height which means my monitor angles are always right first time. And then I mount the wheel which is mounted on a custom wheel platform which is then clamped to my desk. All is raised to accommodate the lowest position of my office chair

[​IMG]

Then lights off so that I don't see my surroundings
    [​IMG]
    ...and I have my racing rig setup in less time then it takes to load R3E

This is the view to my Left
    [​IMG]

This to my Right
    [​IMG]

My monitors are at a 58 degree angle

• Like Like x 1
  19. 2ndLastJedi

Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    That image is from AC V8SC mod and its an Ai car (not me driving so seat possition is probably off) .
    What car is that your driving and ill try and get the same pics on my rig ?
    My monitors are cheap AOC i2790VQ .
    No ghosting , 1080p /60Hz cheapest i could find . I am coming from a 40" 4k VA panel so it had ghosting .
    Im really impressed with the picture on these things ! I only got these as i had more money saved for better 144Hz ones but our fridge died and i could buy a cheap fridge that the whole family use and still get my $$ monitors or go the better fridge and cheap out on screens . I thought if i like triples enough i can always get better screens later when i upgrade GPU to drive them .

Anyway i think your in the Volvo so imma fire up R3E and get those pics .

20. 2ndLastJedi

Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    I couldnt find the same car but this is my favorite in R3E , well it was before triples but now im seated so wrong its just weird to drive ! This is why i feel i need tilt ! I can see far too much dash :(
    Help me sort this out please ! What am i doing wrong ? Other sims are fine.

Attached Files: