Graphical Settings to reduce shadow pop-in

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kcoxphoto, Jan 18, 2020.

1. MattStone

MattStone Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +169 / 0 / -0
    I was in the WTCR 2019 Lynx
    I'm using some old Samsung IPS panel monitors that have a 5ms GTG and I think that's whats making mine ghost
    Just remember that if you get 144hz monitors you gotta have a mother of a system to deliver 144fps otherwise you will get screen tearing. Truth is to deliver 144fps with triple 1080p monitors you will have to sacrifice a lot of eye candy. Turtle has a mother of a system; pretty much top of the line and he can't get 144fps

By the looks of it the bottom of your monitor is sitting about 70 mm lower than mine so you will see more dash

I used to have it that low but I raised mine so that the top of the dash board was effectively on the bottom of my screen so that I couldn't see the instrument panel. It was just weird using my Android Dash Panel as well as seeing the virtual instrument panel behind it. So you can also imagine from my picture that if my monitors were 70mm lower you would see the virtual dashboard.

I my monitors were large enough to extend down below my wheels center I'd consider just using the ingame instrument panel

If you have the WTCR 2019 lynx jump in it and take a picture from your eye position, that means lean back so that the lens of the camera is where your eyes are located.
    Actually you will probably have to hop out your seat to do that cause you can't lean back in a racing seat LOL. If you don't have the WTCR 2019 Lynx I own all the content so take a picture of any car and I'll show you mine.

That picture behind my wheel is literally what I see from my eyes except I have greater peripheral vision than that shot can show. From my seating position I can just recognise the outside edges of my monitors in my peripheral vision but I would have to turn my head slightly to get a good look in my RH mirror; it's the reason I have a 58 degree angle in order to try and not see the outside edge. But again what you see in that shot is pretty close to what I CLEARLY see whilst driving

Note that some cars cockpits are more perspectively correct than others. I find most of the newer content is great and looks great. I especially love the WTCR; all the new Porsche series, that GT4's and GT1's; they all look perfect for me

2. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    lol my phone doesnt take wide enough pics to see much ! I too one with flash so you can see my phone holder (i use my daily phone as dash so its being used to take pic not show dash)
    I can see the outter edges of my screens but do need to turn my head to actually see the right mirror .
    I know what you mean about getting high FPS , ive had to drop my settings from what i used at 4k (which was max) to be able to get a solid 60 let alone 144 ! Thats also why i chose to stick to 1080p and not go 1440p just yet , even 2080Ti cant do that .
    I got room on my stand to raise my monitors so i may do that if i cant work it with how it is ! Its already a good 15 cm higher than my previous screen .

Attached Files:

3. MattStone

MattStone Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +169 / 0 / -0
    That’s starting too right
    How does it feel? When it’s right it just feels right and natural when turning into corners

4. Bauer

Bauer Active Member

Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
    @MattStone
    Hi Matt...
    I would like to ask you, can you share some pics of that support platform for your steering wheel and monitors from different perspectives? Thank you ;)

5. kcoxphoto

kcoxphoto Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    I have not solved this, shadows are at max detail level.

I don't see why a 2080 and overclocked i7 8700 couldn't handle max settings on a single screen setup. I see around 140-200 FPS playing at 1440p at 120hz. I do have G-Sync enabled as my LG TV has G-Sync capability.

6. 2ndLastJedi

Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    I can see the shadow issue around the wheels on cars. The wheels have a ring of no shadow before the shadow starts. Max shadows here, this wasn't an issue on the single screen, only started since getting triples.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. 2ndLastJedi

Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    I set my screen at this height so that my eyes line up almost perfectly to the center of the screen. That's how I've always thought was correct.
    After doing all this with you and taking those pictures I've remeasured my eye distance and it's actually closer to 46cm from the screen when I sit in a relaxed position! The 63cm is when I'm sitting all straight and I've realized I don't sit like that when driving, I'm a little more hunched over. I'm going to need to redo some numbers.

• Like Like x 1