Resolved Graphics glitches

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by ravey1981, Jan 27, 2019.

1. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    I'll start by saying I think this may be a computer issue rather than a game issue...

Up until yesterday everything has been fine and running very smoothly, I use V-sync running on a single screen. Starting yesterday and with no changes to my PC or game setup I get graphical hang ups, sometimes a few times a lap and sometimes none for a few laps. I't doesn't seem to be related to cars oncreen as it can happen at anytime...even in practice. FPS will suddenly drop from solid 60 to 50 or below and back again causing a big glitch...

I have driven whilst watching performance monitor on a 2nd screen. CPU load is generally about 75-80% temperature 50 deg ish. GPU is well within its limits rarely going over 50% load. I did notice at the time of the glitch the CPU load suddenly drops to about 30% and then back up again....

As I say this only started yesterday so I'm a bit confused... Can anyone give me any clues??

PC spec:
    i5 3470 3.2ghz
    gigabyte 1050ti 4GB
    8 GB ram
    120GB SSD Win10 pro & Raceroom
    1 TB storage drive
    Single screen 1080p

Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
  2. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    A full night of messing about and not much progress.

Steam game files verified and ok

Controller profiles deleted and remade (as per another thread)

Glitches happen even on low graphics so think I can definitely rule out GPU issue

Another game (assetto corsa) tested (again with vsync) no glitching and rock solid framerate.

Weird things: looking at files in the documents folder the r3e stuff keeps showing as compressed (two blue arrows on the icon). Is this normal?? I have gone into properties and checked uncompress to see if that helps but it doesn't....

I'm a bit stuck now, I will have to open the case up and check the cooler for dust etc....would a hot cpu cause this? I just can't understand how one minute it's fine and the next it's all over the place....

3. MattStone

MattStone Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +169 / 0 / -0
    That's a strange symtom!
    When the CPU suddenly drop does anything else suddenly spike (eg does the hard drive activity suddenly spike)?

Do you have anyway of measuring CPU voltage to see if there is a spike or drop at the same time?
    Years back I had a misbehaving computer and it turned out to be my power supply; replaced my power supply and it fixed my glitches but those glitches mainly consisted of games crashing.

My folder is compressed as well (funny that I've never noticed that before!)

An overheating CPU will usually just throttle itself down so you'd normally notice a sustained performance drop.

The first thing I'd do is rename the game folder Documents\My Games\SimBin\RaceRoom Racing Experience (I usually just rename it to RaceRoom Racing Experience_OLD

This forces the game to recreate a new one. It means you need to reconfigure graphics and controller settings again BUT it solves a lot of different problems and only takes a few minutes to try.

4. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Yes it's definitely a weird one.

Power supply could be an issue as it's a Dell optiplex based system and their power supplies are notoriously flakey. They are proprietary too so replacing with better could be difficult...

I didn't notice any extra activity on the drives, both of which I have error checked and defragged. Also no malware or viruses found. Nothing running in the background that shouldn't be... I could do with a utility that lets me put a marker down at the point of the glitch, task manager/perf monitor only shows me the last 60 seconds....

The glitches themselves are very short, less than half a second, the fps (as indicated by steam overlay) drops from a constant 60/59 to 50-53. It's just enough to cause a momentary pause which causes havoc if happens in a corner.... It happens with and without AI, it happens at all tracks (well I tried Bathurst, zolder and imola) and it happens at any point on the track...there seems no pattern to it...

I will try the documents folder trick and see what occurs. I will also check my gpu drivers just to make there have been no updates I wasn't aware of...

5. Ami_M3

Ami_M3 Member

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    Also, make sure that your minimum processor state is set to 100% in Processor Power Management. It can sometimes cause stuttering if set to lower values

• Like Like x 1
  6. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    I'll have a look at that thanks. I'm trying to remember everything that I've done over the last few days.... I tried to record/stream game footage with nividia geforce experience software but it didn't work....I wonder if that software is playing up.... I will quit/uninstall it.

So frustrating!

7. MattStone

MattStone Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +169 / 0 / -0
    yes the gforce experience program is know to cause some issues but not this sort of thing I don't think! But it is a resource hog so uninstalling is a good thing

8. pixeljetstream

pixeljetstream Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +412 / 0 / -0
    Are you running 64 bit version of the game?

9. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Hi, yes 64bit

10. RWB Charger

RWB Charger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    I have no end of issues with GF experience causing stutters in other games even when not using it for streaming, I think the default profile is set to record the last X minutes of a game so it is actually writing to a hard drive, I only ever wanted it for streaming so dumped it and use OBS instead, it's the devils spawn I tell you ;-)

11. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Right, it's sorted.

I feel like a bit of a nobber here but the GPU drivers were well out of date....I thought I'd kept them updated. What an idiot. It's back to running smoothly again, full track of AI cars and no drops. Not sure why it would have suddenly manifested itself as a problem, as far as I know there have been no game or windows updates. Weird....