Greetings All.. Rookie Here

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Cole Trickle, Aug 24, 2017.

1. Cole Trickle

Cole Trickle Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    I hope you all are doing well...I'm new to this forum and new to sim racing and I have to say I have been playing RaceRoom for few days, I'm in love with this new hobby. However, learning curve is second to none. I do not have a racing wheel as of yet, but will invest in the near future. I would like to join a club for rookies if such exist, I enjoy the challenge of sim racing and not bashing around. So if you have room in your club for one more let me know. I have attached a link to my latest hot lap - if you want to call it so, any advice would be appreciated. If you are wondering what I use for controller, it's a remote control surface transmitter for rc racing, much better than a game-pad. In any case, thanks in advance.

• Like Like x 5
  2. Sdemonnz

Sdemonnz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +83 / 0 / -0
    Hey Hellfire...Welcome to Raceroom! Glad you are enjoying your time in the game. Do invest in a wheel when you can afford one...it makes the experience so much better.

There are a number of Raceroom groups that you can join to enhance your skills and many are open to all skill levels- just as long as you aren't out to purposely wreck everyone (we are aware you can come unstuck from time to time) I actively race with two groups ESR, and DSR....both are great guys who race fair (most of the time - eh Mr Blade ;))

ESR run weekly drop-ins - which I would suggest you take a look at if the timing suits....its where I started out. Check out their post in the leagues & communities board to see the times and classes/tracks being run all going well I'll see you on track sometime soon!

Chris

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Andy Blade

Andy Blade Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    Oh Chris was but a friendly love tap , do I have to hang my head in shame forever :(
    @HellFire what timezone are you in ?

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Cole Trickle

Cole Trickle Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Thank you for responding, and I could not agree more, whats the point in racing when you have loose cannons just looking to take you out. I have experienced this idiocy in few of the public room since I just been racing single player. Although, I have noticed that the AI can be difficult to pass at times. I'm not asking for a hand-out, but hell you see that I'm faster why cut me on the inside of the corner.

I will look at the ESR runs and give it a go, see if I can at least bring up the rear lol, Sdemonnz again thanks for the response and hopefully will get to race one of these days.

5. Cole Trickle

Cole Trickle Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Hi Andy,
    I'm on the Eastcoast (Connecticut) to be exact, not many involved with racing in this region considering that Joe Logano was raised in the town where I live now.

6. -nOiSe-

-nOiSe- Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +51 / 0 / -0
    Hi @HellFire!!
    I didn't understand wich controller you are using, but if you get a wheel and pedals, you're life will change!! I've played with keyboard since I was kid to last January, when I bought a Logitech G29 and I guarantee that the experience is more fun, even if more hard (expecially "in get real " without TC :p )
    Hope you'll have fun!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Cole Trickle

Cole Trickle Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Hello _nOiSe,
    I'm using an RC remote controler, works much better than a regular gamepad. Although, you are limited as to functionality (buttons), etc. It does the job, for the time being, I suppose :). As you have mentioned next is the investment in a decent wheel and pedals, suggestions are welcome. Well, thanks for the response and have a great rest of the day.

Attached Files:

• Creative Creative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Karting06

Karting06 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +128 / 0 / -0
    Hi @HellFire ,
    Welcome in the club.
    Unfortunately, I don't have any ideas for groups (I'm race alone (sometimes with AI) and I love it :D).
    But, your RC remote controller looks cool :O & does it improve your RC laptimes aswell?

Have fun here :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Cole Trickle

Cole Trickle Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Karting,
    I think it does approve the lap times much smoother operation as opposed to a gaming pad. But, definitely not a substitute for complete racing set-up wheel, chair, pedals ect.

10. nhill40

nhill40 Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    Welcome to the hobby - buckle up and prepared to get sucked in! :D

I thought that was a pretty tidy lap - nice work! Certainly not bad at all for a self-described "rookie", especially considering you're not using a wheel/pedal set.

The main critique I would direct at your lap is that you left quite a bit of track on a few corner exits - that's a strong indicator you're not hopping back on the accelerator as early/quickly as you could be. That's some of the easiest laptime gains there are on a racetrack. :)

Overall though, it's quite clear you have a really solid idea of where the racing line is and you drove with really nice control. Really hammer the loud pedal as early as possible and watch your laptimes drop!

As far as a wheel/pedal set goes, i haven't a clue what your budget looks like and some may vehemently disagree with my suggestion, but I still think the Logitech G29/920 are great quality entry-level options (also both somewhat moddable with things like load cell brakes, so they can grow with your interest in the hobby if it comes to that). I've since moved along to a full Thrustmaster setup, but I got many hours of enjoyment out of my old Logitech G27.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Paul Darke

Paul Darke Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +249 / 0 / -0
    The choices for Wheel, Pedals and shifter are many and budget dependant. Opinions on what is good and what is not are many and varied. I personally like Fanatec as you can see from my signature block. I also used a logitech G25 for many years without issue. @Andy Blade uses logitech so he can answer what the newer (than G25) ones are like.
    Head over to ESR Discord - https://discord.gg/TJCZv6c - chatting is easier there.

12. Karting06

Ratings:
    +128 / 0 / -0
    I didn't mean that in fact. In mean: did you made better lap times with you real life RC cars than before (thanks to Raceroom)?

13. Cole Trickle

Cole Trickle Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

NHILL40,

Thank you response, I configured a remote control car transmitter to use with this sim. It gives you a smooth turning ability, brake, gas, etc. But certainly not the racing sim experience.

I also watched a bunch of videos on you tube 'iRacing School' not too shabby, considering they teach you about the geometry of the track, how to best tackle the corners, etc.

This whole ordeal with sim racing is terrifying! Don't get me wrong, not the sim part, but rather ADDICTION... I see it, I feel, I live it... Lord Help Us...

14. Cole Trickle

Cole Trickle Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    No I do not own any lol, I just use a sim called VRC Pro Racing - you should check it out, very realistic physics and the whole shebang...

15. Karting06

Ratings:
    +128 / 0 / -0
    Ah, I see. You went from RC simracing to real simracing?

And for the addiction, I understand what you mean. But I only simrace in the evening (and when on vacation sometimes during the day) :)

• Like Like x 1