Group C Porsche "Whistle" turned down?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dr_DeathMD, May 7, 2020.

1. Dr_DeathMD

Dr_DeathMD New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Did the latest patch turn down the sound of the "Whistle" in the Group C Porsche? I used to hear it on most shifts but do not hear it much except out of 1st gear.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Barbie

Barbie Active Member

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    Agreed, It's still there but quieter, I believe it's due to the last sound update. Maybe @Anthony Monteil could tell us if it's intentional ?

3. Dr_DeathMD

Dr_DeathMD New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I'm sure it is intentional but can I get the old sound back? That was the "feature" of the car, IMO.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Anthony Monteil

Anthony Monteil KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +1,199 / 0 / -0
    Sorry for the delayed answer guys !
    You're right, we have removed all the internal backfires sounds (and the 962 used these BF triggers for the turbo dumpvalve sounds on gearshifts) because they were not adapted for cockpit usage.

The current sound system doesn't allow me to use some separate sounds for cockpit and external backfires, and all our current backfire samples are external backfires. It simply didn't make sense to hear external BF sounds in the cockpit and it sounded really bad, hence why we removed them in cockpit view.

The plan is to add some custom backfire sounds for the cockpit view, but it requires some code modification, so it might come later as the programmers are busy with some others tasks at the moment.

About the 962 specifically, there was two separate dumpvalve triggers playing together, in order to generate more random dumpvalve sounds. One of them was removed with the update so you still can hear a dumpvalve sound on gearshifts but it's the same as the main dumpvalve sound, which usually plays when the throttle pedal is released. That sound is more discrete, hence why you can't hear it as much as the small "whistles" you heard before.

Sadly, retrieving these "whistles" sounds in cockpit will also retrieve all the ugly backfires sounds, as we don't have a separate volume for both at the moment, but I just thought about a way to balance these sounds so we can hear the whistles in cockpit without hearing the backfires too much.
    The tweak should be available in a next update, Stay tuned ;)

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 2
  5. Barbie

Barbie Active Member

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for taking the time to answer :).

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Anthony Monteil

Ratings:
    +1,199 / 0 / -0
    The dumpvalve "whistles" are back in the 962 cockpit view, their volume is a tad lower just so we don't hear the backfires too much, but they're still very audible.
    It should be available for you in the next game update ;)

• Like Like x 5
    • Love it! Love it! x 2
  7. Jukka Karppinen

Jukka Karppinen Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +137 / 0 / -0
    Hello Anthony, while most of the engine sounds in game are top class and very realistic, i feel like current BMW 635 sound is lacking a bit of brutal, agressive sound of original car. Now in game it's pretty quiet and sounds bit too digital/artificial especially on lower revs to my ear, not bad but it's missing a bit of bassy symphony at low and brutal scream at high revs. I believe recordings are done with car that have mufflers instead of straight side exhaust like original ETCC cars had? It's hard to find proper videos with original exhaust but here is coulpe examples:

First a car with mufflers:

and here's same car with original side exhaust:

Would really appreciate i we could have more brutal version at some point in future.

PS. I absolutely love the sound of Gr4 M1, i have BMW e34 M5 with carbon plenum and quite open exhaust, sound is really close to what we have in game now. Super job!

Last edited: May 24, 2020
  8. Anthony Monteil

Ratings:
    +1,199 / 0 / -0
    Actually, the car we used for the 635 sounds didn't have mufflers, but the onboard sound wasn't great either. I'll check it and see what I can do ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    Last edited: May 25, 2020
  9. Jukka Karppinen

Ratings:
    +137 / 0 / -0
    Awesome, thanks for looking!

10. Anthony Monteil

Ratings:
    +1,199 / 0 / -0
    This is the video I used for the 635 :

Same car but this more recent video sounds a bit better :

I might use the Dijon video to improve the current onboards, and I also found something that could help for the externals ;):

• Like Like x 2
  11. Jukka Karppinen

Ratings:
    +137 / 0 / -0
    Yes please, those sound great! Can't wait the results. :) There is also lots of good quality onboard videos of Eggenberger Gr2 ETCC 635 at youtube, at least some of the older videos it have original M30 engine (later it seems to have 24v head so probably s38).