Gsnyc not smooth

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Fleskebacon, Jan 4, 2021.

1. Fleskebacon

Fleskebacon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +258 / 0 / -0
    I'm wondering if this is normal, but my Gsync monitor is not running as smooth as I was expecting it to. It's running at 120 Hz, and Gsync enabled. Nvidia frame cap set at 116 fps, Vsync enabled, power set to max performance.

When the game is running at more than 90 fps, it's smooth. But when it's below 90 fps, it's not. It's not super stuttery, but it's not at all as smooth as it should be. Most apparent when panning the image, the horizon does not move smoothly when turning for example.

If I cap the framerate at 60, it's butter smooth. If I cap at 80 or 90, it's also butter smooth - as long as the game can keep a steady fps at the cap limit. When the fps fluctuates, the game stutters. Even if I cap at 50 fps, the game runs smoother.

I thought this was kind of the idea with Gsync, that you didn't have to keep a steady fps to have a buttery smooth gameplay? Do I have to cap the fps at 60 or 80 and accept that the game stutters when the fps drops below that?

I get no tearing at all, and everything seems to be in working order with the Gsync setup.

2. Flybarless

Flybarless Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    Same issue without Driver Framecap? If VSync ist enabled in Nvidia settings Gsync auto caps the framerate due the monitor max. Framerate. In Game the Vsync option musst be off.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Fleskebacon

Ratings:
    +258 / 0 / -0
    Ok, after some more trial and error, it appears that this is track dependant. It's the 24H layout of the Nordschleife that behaves this way, maybe others as well, but I haven't done extensive testing. The 24H Nords doesn't run smooth with any settings, unless I can get the frame rate above ~90 fps, but other tracks run smooth with pretty much any settings and at any frame rate.

The 24H track is obviously very resource hungry, but I was surprised that it doesn't run smooth even at 80 fps, that's what put me off here. Capping the fps lower to keep it steady evens out the frame times and makes it a lot smoother, but it's not a good solution.

So I'm sticking with the common recommendation gsync+vsync+frame cap in nv control panel. I'm using 96 fps frame cap to keep things a bit cooler. I don't notice any difference between 96 and 120 fps anyway.

And for me, Vsync enabled in NV control panel does not cap the framerate, and stuttering begins if fps exceeds the refresh rate. No tearing, as far as I can see, only stuttering. I need to have frame cap enabled to avoid this. Obvious low fps stuttering begins somewhere between 50-60 fps, but this happens very rarely and only with many cars on track - probably cpu bottlenecking. Anything between 58-120 fps - always butter smooth! (Except on 24H Nords...)

Thanks for the input anyway! :)

4. FormelLMS

FormelLMS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    There is something wrong. As posted above: you should have 116 FPS with max cap off, vsync and Gsync on. This is the normal correct stutterfree thing.

5. Fleskebacon

Ratings:
    +258 / 0 / -0
    I have some issues with Gsync. In Raceroom, vsync on does not cap at 120 fps like it should, but using frame cap at whatever below 116 works very well and runs buttery smooth as far as it can.

In other games, vsync caps at 120 and keeps everything smooth. But in those cases the fps randomly locks to 60 fps. So I use vsync off and frame cap also in these games, I haven't seen the fps locking to 60 when I do that.

And yes, gsync is enabled, both desktop and ingame refresh set to 120 hz.

6. FormelLMS

FormelLMS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    I've seen this while using overlays as Geforce Experience, Fraps or something else. Only FPS Meter, not giving those issues ist Steam Overlay. Could be the same on your side.

7. Fleskebacon

Ratings:
    +258 / 0 / -0
    I'm only using Steam overlay fps-meter. But I will double check this if someting else is running that I'm not aware of.

8. rad

rad Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +458 / 0 / -0
    I am running with G-Sync with Free Sync monitor and it broke for me about 2-3 months ago and I couldn't find why - I suspect some drivers update. My monitor has 75Hz and it used to cap frames at those 72 or 73, but for some reason it changed its mind and decided to cap it at 150, which I couldn't keep in most cases.

So I am assuming something doesn't work as it should with it enabled in RaceRoom, maybe related to game being on DX9. Seems to work fine in other titles for me

9. Fleskebacon

Ratings:
    +258 / 0 / -0
    For me it works flawlessly with frame cap instead of vsync, so it's no big deal for me as long I know how to set it up. But something's a bit off with Gsync, that's for sure.