GT3 a stepping stone to RR?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by GooseCreature, Aug 29, 2018.

1. ducman888

ducman888 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +172 / 0 / -0
    Stepping stone backwards, seems a bit odd.

2. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    backwards? o_O

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. ducman888

ducman888 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +172 / 0 / -0
    Yes, if you take a step closer to simcade then in my view it is a step backwards. Would have like to see GTR3 be a step UP from R3E, not back.

4. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    yes i know what you mean. but they said GTR3 should be a stepping stone towards R3E, so a step up would make sense when they make GTR3 some kind of entry-level simcade. We all would have like to see it the other way round :-D

• Like Like x 1
  5. Barracuda318

Barracuda318 Member

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    GTS is not PC compatible, and Forza has a 1963 VW bug, so that trumps that,
    now if GTR3 has a Beetle (or Karmann ghia, lets not be picky) I will buy it, and it will be the best!

6. CheerfullyInsane

CheerfullyInsane Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402 / 0 / -0
    No. Just no. :p
    The basic problem with the premise is that it assumes that the theoretical description of the Möbius band equals its behavior in the physical world.
    And that simply isn't the case.
    The theoretical description of a Möbius band is a band with one side and one edge. All well and good.
    Except....
    An item with one side in a physical world would be invisible from all but one specific direction.
    If you construct a physical one, I don't care how much you twist and turn it, it's not going to magically disappear. :)
    Now if it's meant to illustrate the futility of left and right when it comes to Möbius bands, it's sorta served its purpose.
    The problem is that if you postulate that left and right doesn't matter, and therefore the persons are on the same side, that also leads to the term 'between' being senseless.
    And if you can't place the Möbius band between the two persons, the whole experiment becomes irrelevant, since the proposed situation cannot occur in the first place.
    It becomes a self-defeating argument.

As to the concept of truth, we're arguing semantics.
    While I agree that truth as a concept would be a clearly defined thing, it also requires perfect knowledge of all the things that affects it, which is unattainable.
    Furthermore, truth isn't a constant, it is by it's very definition in a state of constant flux, since it is defined by the things that affect it.
    (Wow, that sentence got really convoluted.....)
    But if the above is the case, we might as well throw out the word. It makes no sense to verbally define something that is by its very nature undefinable.
    So we either start calling it plausible alternatives, or we accept that truth is not only relative, but ever-changing.

Doubt I'll take you up on the proposed movies though.
    I prefer my philosophy a little more practical to be honest. :D
    Right now I'm more interested in General AI, and its implications.

EDIT: But if you want a fun experiment with Möbius bands, try this:
    Get two strips of paper, and use one to create a circle, and the other to create a Möbius band.
    Now cut through them both lengthwise.
    The circle becomes two circles (as expected).
    The Möbius band becomes a....Möbius band, only longer.
    Which kinda freaks me out. o_O

I happen to be a very big fan of waffles. :p

7. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Could it be that our disagreement comes from that I take the Möbius strip in the context of the narration I gave as a "metaphor", a visualization of an abstract thought anyway, that needs to be handled in that abstract context anyway? Its as if discussing String"theory" or fifth and sixth dimensions - you can describe nevertheless impossibly imagine them in a materialised state inside our world. To deal with the Möbius strip in a material form placed in the profane material world is - well, almost profane. :) Nevertheless I stick to what I said about it.

What you said about the one-sidedness of it, its physical consequence - I think you mix it up with being one-dimensionality (or two, since you talk about an area, a surface). But the Möbius strik is meant to exist inside a three-dimensional world. And that is part of its inherent absurdity (or beauty, depending on how much wine you had).

The strip, whether a painting of it or a strip of paper glued together, is just a crook, a finger pointing to the moon - not the moon itself. I see it as kind og a koan, mantra or staring onto a smooth surface of water: a tool to think beyond the usual limits of thinking.

The whole original lecture in that video was that, the author illustrated mind and matter by using coloured leafs of paper with holes in them. Sounds weired? I only mneton this so that I can rhetorically ask whether anyone indeed thinks mind and matter as ablsute terms indeed are nothign more than two differently coloured pieces of paper. :D

I kill for Belgium waffles. Either classical with cream and cherry, or with Baileys Hazelnut, or strawberry-rhubarb jelly with vanilla sauce, which maybe is the best way to enjoy it.

8. Barracuda318

Barracuda318 Member

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    a waffle is merely a hotcake that has been trodden upon by a pair of hiking boots !
    now crepes are another story, crepes are proper race food, before, during and after, even finishing in last place, crepes are a winner!

(just kidding, I love waffles!)

9. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Crepes are waffles suffering loss of air pressure.

Crepes are waffles that were not fast enough, and so got rolled over by the competition.

10. Barracuda318

Barracuda318 Member

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    Crepes are lighter and more aerodynamic!

11. CheerfullyInsane

CheerfullyInsane Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402 / 0 / -0
    Oh crepes, what have I started.....

12. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Yes its all your fault. And to leave no doubt on one thing - in the future it always will all be your fault as well! Doh!

13. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    But less traction, hard tires, and no air bags.

14. FormelLMS

FormelLMS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    Instead of a crepe I prefer french galette.
    It has much more power than anything else.

15. Barracuda318

Barracuda318 Member

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    if only Simbin would stop waffling and give some definitive answers about GTR3!

16. Flintenwilly

Flintenwilly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +115 / 0 / -0
    Plz stop making me hungry:p