Has Adaptive AI changed with AI selector? (Maybe broken)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ravey1981, Dec 29, 2018.

1. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    I have always used adaptive AI with no problems, it has usually given me clean competitive races. However....today I have done 3 40min races against a full grid of GT3 at imola. AI selected automatically from the modern GT3 cars.

This time though despite 70 odd laps of learning they are just not getting quicker, I am able to take 2 seconds a lap out of them and start lapping the field within 20 mins. Has something changed? It was never this way before....

Haven't tried any other tracks today as I have been trying to teach these buggers...

2. Manfredk2

Manfredk2 Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Have you checked the aiadaptation.xml? Is there maybe one or more "slow entries"?

Had some other issues with the AI as described here: https://forum.sector3studios.com/index.php?threads/28th-november-update.12068/page-26#post-167511

Did a couple of races at Suzuka and Hockenheim. The AI was very fast (with the problems i described). After some races the AI at Suzuka was suddenly very slow (maybe Level 80). Checked the aiadaptation.xml and there were two "slow entries" - 16 and 24 secs slower than the average.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    I'll take a look when I get chance, what's the solution? To delete the bad entries?

Never had any problems with AI before...it's very frustrating....

May end up scrapping the AI file and starting again...

4. Manfredk2

Manfredk2 Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
  5. DaniloE31

DaniloE31 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +73 / 0 / -0
    I just had a GT3 race at Suzuka with Adaptive AI and can tell you, they are no way slower than before!
    You had to see me get passed in the Esses inside and outside in the pulk... :confused:
    Even invoking the spirit of the Great God of Suzuka named "Ayrton" couldn't help against my incompetence in racing :p

• Like Like x 1
  6. MattStone

MattStone Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +169 / 0 / -0
    My experience is that the AI seem faster and it's taking a couple of races for the adaptive AI to settle back down to the correct level.

What I am experiencing is that the the GT4's adaptive ai seems to be setting a level that enables me to qualify around 10th or even less but their race pace is quite slow due to them always battling each other so there for I can easily catch up and once I have passed them all pace is at lot faster. I really enjoy the challenge of passing the other cars but the fun stops when I get in front.

7. RavingLunatic01

RavingLunatic01 New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Thanks DaniloE31 I have spent a little time trying to figure out what exactly the AI are adapting to because it wasn't me. Up until the update I had only ever used Adaptive AI and was stunned to see tail lights the size of pin heads disappearing off into the horizon. Had to check i wasn't in reverse gear.

8. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Ok there is definitely an issue here.

I started from a brand new adaptive AI file and did a race against a selection of modern GT3 using the AI selector. Checking the file after the race there were no entries whatsoever. Throughout the race weekend they stayed at level 80.

Then I did a race on the same circuit against GT3 but not using the AI selector just letting the game pick at random as before the update. This time there were adaptions throughout the weekend and by the end of the race the AI we're at around my pace.

Conclusion: Adaptive AI is currently not working when using the AI selector, it will just use whatever values you already have but will not change them.

I will report this as a bug, currently AI selector isn't usable unless you have a very well populated AI file.

9. DaniloE31

DaniloE31 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +73 / 0 / -0
    As far as I understand the Adaptive AI need TWO races to make entries in the AIAdaptation file.
    So it's just a coincidence and you got a bad deduction ;)

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    No they don't. When working correctly adaptations are continuous.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. CheerfullyInsane

CheerfullyInsane Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402 / 0 / -0
    Depends on what you mean by 'continuous'.
    The AAI doesn't adapt during a race, only between races.

So no, the AAI doesn't need two races to adapt, it'll start the adaptation-process after the first one.
    But you won't see any adaptation until you start the second race, since the adaptation-process happens between races.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Kollo

Kollo Active Member

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    But how can adaptive AI work in multiclass races? I think it is just logical that this cannot work and isn't supposed to.

13. CheerfullyInsane

Ratings:
    +402 / 0 / -0
    Well, we're talking single-class here, but.....

Why wouldn't it be logical?
    As an example, let's use the player in a GT3 class, together with a GT4 class.
    So the adaptive AI picks a level based on the players previous results in the GT3s, let's say 105, and the GT3s run at 105.
    The GT4s also run at 105 (or so I would assume). But this doesn't mean they suddenly become just as fast as the GT3s.

The AAI works by comparing lap-times, and then picking a level from that comparison, not the other way around.
    So it won't try to get all classes to run at a certain lap-time, that would be asinine.
    You'd need a fair bit of turbo-charging to get the NSU to keep up with a P1. :D

14. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    This may be placebo effect but I feel it works between sessions also. For example over a race weekend of say 20min practice, 20 minutes qualy and 20 mins race I definitely see progression. If the player puts in decent laps of even pace by the end of that one race weekend the AI is up to speed.

15. CheerfullyInsane

Ratings:
    +402 / 0 / -0
    Unless something has changed with the Dec. patch, it's placebo.
    Should be fairly easy to test though, along with a few other thoughts I have on multi-class.
    It'll have to wait until tomorrow though, getting way past my bedtime if I'm to be even semi-coherent at work tomorrow. :D

16. RavingLunatic01

RavingLunatic01 New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Multi class works great and as expected. I noticed it because I was using single class in GT3. A month belting around the same track in the RUF Porsche usually 30 mins qualifying in the top 8/35 cars sometime pole(which I hate) win some lose some but consistent. After update I was dropping back to 12 to 16. By the time I made my way thru the pack the lead cars were in the garage and the drivers back home having dinner. I didn't know about the AI taking a few races to settle in and maybe with the major changes in the update it resets and starts again. I will turn it back to adaptive and have another go. Better than setting at 100 and + or - to suit the different behavior of the class.

17. CheerfullyInsane

Ratings:
    +402 / 0 / -0
    No, that would've resulted in the adaptation-file being buggered, which hasn't happened.
    The biggest change re. the AAI in the December patch (might have been the November one....Memory like a sieve here) is that the AAI now disregards player-laps outside 3% of the average lap-time.
    Earlier a slow lap or an off-track would result in the average being dragged down, and thus the AAI setting being artificially slow.
    This is no longer the case, and I suspect that's what you've been experiencing.

• Like Like x 1