has someone audi 90 quattro?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by oppolo, Feb 21, 2015.

1. oppolo

oppolo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    isn't it too slippery? a small movement of throttle is enought to loose the back

2. Jack Mitchell

Jack Mitchell Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Its 4 wheel drive so you don't lose the backend. Just 4 wheel drift - has little grip but is great fun!

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. oppolo

oppolo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    that's becomes my perplexity, I loose the backend easily, and the grip at low speed is very poor, neither the AI can drive it cleanly

• Like Like x 1
  4. Jo Ré Ta Po

Jo Ré Ta Po Active Member

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    I'm not saying anything is wrong because I've obviously never driven these cars IRL, but I kind of feel the same with the 4WD Audi DTM 92. When I bought the pack, I lost the rear end a few times with the Mercedes and the BMW, so I went for the Audi thinking it would be easier. Boy was I wrong, 10 times worse at least :D And still today I can't do anything with the Audi (except donuts :p) ... maybe there's a special approach to these 4WD cars ?

5. MaXyM

MaXyM Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    Question does R3E properly simulate all wheel drive, especially regarding differentials.

6. TripleJay

TripleJay Member

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    can't say if this car drove IRL like this one, but this car is great fun....you basically steer with the throttle :D

too bad this car only has 1 livery, so no AI-Races....except i want to have clones in the grid :smirkcat:

@S3 : Liverys update?

7. oppolo

oppolo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    as many others RW...but the point is: this is a 4WD and the grip from tires appear to be very low, only a small movement of throttle and the car spins, I've never drove it in real but I have some doubt it is well replicated...so I'm listening your opinions

8. TripleJay

TripleJay Member

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    did you try change the differntial settings to the opposite (power&coast)? got no real probs to drive this car@zandvoort for example.

but yeah, it's a fast car .... 720ps@1206 kg, r5 turbomotor

even in the video above, he said, you push the throttle and you have instant power :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  9. oppolo

oppolo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    ok, that is the key, thank you

10. n01sname

n01sname Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +956 / 0 / -0
    "Did you try change the differntial settings to the opposite (power&coast)? got no real probs to drive this car@zandvoort for example."

That`s an issue anyway (guess most will agree) : After fiddeling with the basic setups for a while now, I find that you can change any standard setup of any R3E car from a "lame" one into a moderate one (at least) by simply checking Toe in/out, brakebalance, dampers and wings (if neccessary)...just had it recently when driving a DTM 13 Merc...forgot to adjust front toe (from standard) which made me mad cause at the Norisring Hairpin the steering felt as if I was driving a tractor :)...
    Well, sooner or later we will get slots for saving various setups, I assume.
    Would be good to bring a set of approved basic setups then (by S3 and/or skilled drivers from the community) for those who have no time and /or ambition to sit down and analyze track by track, series by series what exactly the car is doing and why...at the moment thats the only option to better your performance setup-wise...(and lots of practise of course)...

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. GroovyMotion

GroovyMotion Active Member

Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -0
    Interesting post @Fairman about toe in/out and dampers...would be nice to have a small tutorial about them. I just fiddle with wings, rollbars and springs for now.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. TripleJay

TripleJay Member

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    i rather have a good explanations of a car-setup with it's Pro's&Con's inGame just like AC done it and also pCars now done it.

13. Drei

Drei Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +82 / 0 / -0
    I think Audi 90 is a great fun, no idea if it is real, never driven a 700hp 4wd car in real life, but had a try with a WRX STI. After RWD cars, it was really weird, it just didn't move as i expected, but when i got the rythm, it was great fun. I think R3E 4wd simulation is not bad at all.

Regarding the setups, i really hope that S3S will implement a bit more complex car setup system, right now it is way too simple, most ppl just set unrealisticly high toe/chamber values, tweaking the wing and gear ration a bit, lower the ride high and go.

14. TripleJay

TripleJay Member

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    yep, a little more deepness .... and usually those "extreme" setups are just for hotlap and your tyres wouldn't last 10laps in a race.

15. oppolo

oppolo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    in this regard, I saw that in the setup, for example, of DTM92 I could set the value of TC...I think this is unrealistic, cos those cars should haven't TC, is it right?

16. n01sname

n01sname Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +956 / 0 / -0
    :oops:...forgot anti-rollbars they are essential too..

17. GroovyMotion

GroovyMotion Active Member

Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -0
    They are disabled in a race I believe.

18. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    I've actually been having a blast with the quattro since I picked it up when it was on sale a week or two ago.

I can honestly say that I think this is my favorite car in the game. It's just a blast to drive. It's fast, very easy to whip around corners and even have controlled slides if you want to. The sounds are superb... etc.

I think the key to getting it to behave in a slightly more mild fashion, that is, not having the back end whip out sooo much, is to decrease the differential on power, something to around 50% or less to help manage the oversteer, as well as dropping the rear spring rate a few ticks. This has helped make the car feel more stable and controlled in corners, while still maintaining its overall characteristics of being a tail happy car. You could further get into roll bar settings and even the rear dampers if you wanted to further mitigate the oversteer, but that wasnt necessary to me.

I took the car to the RaceRoom Raceway track since it is a quick enough lap, and gives you just about every scenario you will experience in other tracks... high speed sections, chicanes, blind corners, hills & elevation change, etc. Then spend some time just tweaking the settings til I figured out what they actually adjusted for the cars handling and behaviour, and found a balance that was suitable.

Cheers

• Like Like x 1
  19. MeMotS

MeMotS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,056 / 0 / -0
    If one of you setup pro would like to host a Twitch session with QA i would love it.
    I mean i play around with the setup and can definitely see a difference. But its usually what someone told me to try. I have no idea what does what. I have been reading the numerous guides and post but i still can't wrap my head around it.

This might sound pretty stupid for someone who has been racing sim since they came out. But setup always been my bane.
    Someone gives me their setup and i gain 2 seconds on the first or second try, this just after i spent so much time previously with basic setup tweak trying to improve the time and got nowhere. To me this is not really "fair" for those dummy like me who can't figure out setups.

Yes this is a cry for help :p

*I'm an I.T guy. And i would need someone to explain to me how to work them the same way i have to explain to my mother in law why the google picture was changed and its not something i did. :D

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2015
  20. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    Making setups is tricky MeMotS. Some people are just naturally gifted it seems with their understanding of what to change, when they want to get a specific end result in the cars handling. Perhaps that isnt natural talent, but plenty of time spent reading, gaining knowledge, and testing on track to see what affects what.

I definitely am in the same boat as you, in that, I dont know how to properly make a setup, or what order to make changes. However, I do know enough to change the cars handling to better suit my driving style. How to dial out oversteer on cars that need less... How to setup more downforce without upsetting the balance of the car.. and so on.

Im sure there are more than a few brilliant minds here that know how to make setups and might even offer to demonstrate, but in the meantime, why not just take a single car to a track you know very well, and spend a few hours just changing every value, seeing how it affects the car. One change at a time of course so you can know for certain what is affecting the changes you feel. Then when you start understanding that, why not add 2 changes at once to see if they mesh and go together well, or if they cancel eachother out. Then add a few more changes and see if the balance of the car is maintained. If you dont like how the car feels, you might know at this point what change needs to be made to get the feeling you desire.

After that, you can optimize your setup to perhaps finely tweak certain things to maintain a similar feeling, and then get the most speed you can out of the setup. For example, maybe you cranked up the downforce so it sticks to the road better, well maybe you can use slightly less downforce in combination with different damper and spring settings to get the same feeling... but be faster...

Ugh this sounds like so much work... lol :p

• Agree Agree x 1