Headphones and bass shakers

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by F1Aussie, May 7, 2017.

1. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +95 / 0 / -0
    Hi all, so last week I bit the bullet and instead of hanging on even longer to wait for buttkickers to become available again I got a couple of Dayton 50w shakers and a 150w Dayton amp to run them through the subwoofer connection on the mobo. I stuck one under my pedals and one under my seat.
    In tests it works well but I have a problem.
    I game with a wireless headset so I don't keep everyone awake at night.
    As soon as I plug in the dongle for the headset it overrides the speakers and the shakers.
    So I can have either the headset or the shakers going but not both.
    I just run with an on board sound card, so do I need to get another sound card just to connect and run the shakers from?
    Cheers
    F1A

2. Fanapryde

Fanapryde Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    I believe you will need a second sound card. A rather simple one seems to be fine for the shakers.
    How are the Daytons ?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. F1Aussie

Ratings:
    +95 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Fanapryde, think I will get a USB external one.
    Bit early to tell but initial impressions are good. Have only tested them so far and not used them properly yet.

4. higsy

higsy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +123 / 0 / -0
    I'd be curious to know as I've been considering this too. I've got a buttkicker under the seat but want to use chassis Mode on simvibe so I can put something by the feet , back of the seat and make under the shifter.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Fanapryde

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    The amp of my Buttkicker Gamer 2 failed about a year ago. Since then I am waiting for a replacement, because they were replacing all their amps by better ones = almost a year waiting....
    I'm starting to have thoughts about it never going to happen, which is why I am curious about the Daytons...

• Like Like x 1
  6. F1Aussie

Ratings:
    +95 / 0 / -0
  7. Thomas Friedrich

Thomas Friedrich Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192 / 0 / -0
    I think this should work, but why don't you want to use an internal one like the ASUS Xonar DGX? It's only around 35 EUR.

8. F1Aussie

Ratings:
    +95 / 0 / -0
    I am not the full bottle on playing with computer hardware and it was mentioned elsewhere that an external sound card is just a USB connection. That's makes it easy for me. PCI connections I don't really understand.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Thomas Friedrich

Ratings:
    +192 / 0 / -0
    That's ok, but I think installing a soundcard is really simple. Even if you don't have graduated at the University of Melbourne...:D

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. F1Aussie

Ratings:
    +95 / 0 / -0

11. Thomas Friedrich

Ratings:
    +192 / 0 / -0
    I thought if you give it a try, you can save some money (and can spend it on an extra transducer)...;)

12. F1Aussie

Ratings:
    +95 / 0 / -0
    so based upon the comments above I have cancelled my order for the external sound card and ordered in its place a
    Creative Sound Blaster Audigy Fx Sound Card.
    It does look easy peasy to instal now that I have taken the side off the pc.
    Thanks everyone

• Like Like x 4
  13. fl0wf1r3

fl0wf1r3 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +235 / 0 / -0
    perhaps its better not to position the sound card directly underneath the graphics card due to cooling reasons. But it always depend on the situation

• Like Like x 1
  14. ChatCureuil

ChatCureuil Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +308 / 0 / -0
    Instead of buying a sound card, I would have bought an adapter like this:
    http://images.junostatic.com/full/IS236409-01-01-BIG.jpg
    It changes the impedance but usually it doesn't have consequences other than reducing volume level (if I remember good). It's less expensive than a sound card! :)

15. Fanapryde

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    I have not tested, but I read many times these (or any) adapters won't work with headset and amp for tactile transducers (or Simvibe software for that matter).

Last edited: May 8, 2017
  16. ChatCureuil

Ratings:
    +308 / 0 / -0
    I didn't work in sound stuff since some years, from my memory I know it will divide the impedance seen by the sound card, so each device will receive half of the power. There's also better systems that will adapt impedance. But I don't see why the low frequencies would not be transmitted with this kind of adapter.

Note this is called Tactile Transducer, I didn't know what it was . :)

17. Fanapryde

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    Oops, stupid auto correct o_O
    I'll correct, obviously they are called transducers, thanks for noticing.

18. ChatCureuil

Ratings:
    +308 / 0 / -0
    Erratum...
    I forgot the fact that headphones don't have same kind of impedance than speakers, so using both in parallel on same output is not recommended. It shouldn't break anything but can alter sound quality on one of the devices.
    But there are probably active adapters, that cost less than a sound card, which will adapt electrical signal equally on both outputs.

19. F1Aussie

Ratings:
    +95 / 0 / -0
    Hi guys, so I was able to instal the sound card no worries and get it going. Due to lack of audio knowledge I need some advice on getting it going smoothly.
    I was going to continue to use the onboard sound for my speakers and the soundcard for the connection for the bass shakers.
    I have run into an issue, if I run the bass shakers then I have no sound, if I run my speakers or headphones then I have no bass shakers.
    What do I need to do to get the shakers working at the same time as my headphones or speakers?
    Cheers

20. Thomas Friedrich

Ratings:
    +192 / 0 / -0
    I don't remember if you use Simvibe, if you do so, here's a setup video from Inside SimRacing.

I think you can select the source for the transducers and for the sound output within the software.