Headset sound settings

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Peter Koch, Mar 20, 2021.

1. Peter Koch

Peter Koch Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +191 / 0 / -0
    @Anthony Monteil
    What sound settings ingame are the best for a Logitech G432 - 7.1

7.1 surround or Dolby surround?

Surround.jpg

2. Anthony Monteil

Anthony Monteil KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +1,199 / 0 / -0
    The Logitech G432 is using the DTS Headphone technology (not Dolby tech) so the 7.1 Surround should be selected, as specified in the device specs ;)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Peter Koch

Ratings:
    +191 / 0 / -0
    Thanks, wasn't sure about that.

4. blgk

blgk Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    What's the difference btw headphones and stereo?

5. Peter Koch

Ratings:
    +191 / 0 / -0
    @Anthony Monteil

6. Arthur Spooner

Arthur Spooner Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432 / 0 / -0
    Totally different hearing experience I'd guess. With headphones you have this "closed" feeling and stereo channels are seperated completely. You can not really hear very much from the right channel in your left ear and vice versa. Only a little bit that might come right through your skull. While if you are using stereo speakers, although the channels are seperated, you can still hear everything from the right speaker in your left ear via air - just a bit later and slightly different as more of your head is inbetween, which also produces the ability for your brain to locate sounds. Also headphone speakers are smaller, less powerful but closer to your ears. I think all of this - and probably some more stuff, me as a sound n00b can't even think of - needs to be compensated when switching from stereo speakers to headphones if you want to provide the best possible experience.

7. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +355 / 0 / -0
    That's something that puzzles me for quite some time already. With such an obvious difference, I'd imagine it being addressed in, uhm... the audio world. Yet I barely even see it discussed. Some games have an option to choose between the two, and that's probably it.

There must be something I'm missing, I guess...

8. Muca

Muca Active Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    I do not know really how but some headphones are good at imagining, all high end headphones. With my 1500$ headphones I can see depth and exactly where is what. Often you even feel the room from those tiny sound rebounds.
    Dunno how, with my 500$ daily drivers it is not even close on the same level.
    edit: Not all music is mastered / mixed with care. A lot of popular Pop/HipHop/Rap is absolute garbage, it is like they do not even care.
    Some ifi products have a 3d switch which should simulate loud speakers on headphones by cross feeding with latency to some extent but is imo not convincing.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2021