Help me buy a new 32" TV Screen for RaceRoom

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ben Joeres, Dec 22, 2015.

1. Ben Joeres

Ben Joeres Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    ok, thank you all for the help. i will check out some beamers/projectors in live action to see what they can do nowadays. also i wanna take a look at the 21:9 inch monitors, but if i choose one of those i got to make sure its big enough and not sure if i can afford that if it goes above 500 euros. i bought this asus gtx 960 strix OC 4GB yesterday for € 250,-and my performance is much better, i can go full details on 60 constant fps(v-sync) now without any problems or "stuttering" and in 2 weeks i will buy the monitor/projector. Since im stuck on this old 22inch samsung now even a 32" led tv or an cheap 21:9(34" minimum) for about 350-450 euros will be a big improvement for me and im rly looking forward to that.
    thx alot for the help guys =) im really hyped for the bigger screen =)))

2. Insaneozzy

Insaneozzy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +242 / 0 / -0
    Personally I didn't like the 21:9 monitors, too wide and they don't give the resolution a triples setup does, I couldn't go back to a single screen for racing, just feels weird now.

Good luck with it Ben :)

3. Ben Joeres

Ben Joeres Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    thx man, yeah me neither but i will try it out maybe i can play raceroom in the store to test it =) otherwise i go 3 x32" or a projector, but not so sure about that either. 21:9 even on 34" or 36" looks so small compared to 3x32"

A 90" 21:9 monitor or tv would be cool tho but i think it would take like 1/10 of my whole heritage lol EDIT : found a 105" 21:9 but its 169k euro TT http://www.luxion. de/display/items/samsung-qm105d.html i would buy it but my gf gonna kill me haha

Last edited: Dec 26, 2015
  4. Drei

Drei Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +82 / 0 / -0
    i know some of the others will not agree, but i would not plan with a triple screen setup with VR next door...especially if you dont have enough space to set it up. if you are only up for r3e, devs are stated many times, that they prefer VR over triple screen setups, which i can understand since i have had a DK2, and r3e was awesome to drive with it, along with AC and pCars... (yes i know that atm oculus is not an option for r3e since they dropped dx9 support, but steam's Vive, and razer's OSVR still supports dx9 so there will be options...) 3x32" TV-s would cost as much as a decent vga+a VR headset (and also for the triple screen you will need a decent vga anyways....). if you are looking for other titles, AC and pCars already have very good VR support....
    so to wrap it up, i would go for a bit bigger TV for now, which gives a good immersion, lets say a 40 or 42", a decent vga, which is capable to handle VR content later on (nvidia's 970gtx or amd's 390x) and wait a couple of months, Oculus rift CV1 will be available sometimes in Q1 2016, htc Vive will come in april...

5. Insaneozzy

Ratings:
    +242 / 0 / -0
    I'm weary of VR, there is no evidence to prove VR does or doesn't harm your eyes, we know that sitting in front of monitors has a long term detrimental affect on vision and that's at a reasonable distance from the screen, whats a VR unit 2inches from your eyes going to do.
    I have tested the DK2, and although it gives a high immersion I wouldn't buy a set, and don't understand all the hype over them.
    And triples aren't expensive I paid a little over $650AU for three 32inch tv's including an extended warranty, the Oculus will be some where around the $500US mark, which puts it at about $750-800AU at current exchange rates and thats an estimate, the final retail prices are still up in the air, read more here.

Cheers

6. pixeljetstream

pixeljetstream Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +412 / 0 / -0
    Even with regular monitors not that close it's not great for the eye to focus on same distance. But with monitor setup it's easier to focus some place else, when in menu...To me the problem of even higher immersion with VR over tripples seems to make it less suitful for longer gaming. Grabbing something to drink... The whole setup seems less intense with a classic seat. Even with tripples the whole camera shaking in many games isn't great, luckily it can be turned down by editing some files... But the issue amplifies with VR. Some may love that and it will feel insane, but seeing myself play hours with that, don't think so.
    Also went tripples as the cost of VR or ultrawide monitors will be higher imo.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Tarik Userli

Tarik Userli Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +578 / 0 / -0
    Ich habe den j5150. Input lag definitiv ok, bestell ihn dir bei Amazon und teste ihn aus.

8. Tarik Userli

Tarik Userli Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +578 / 0 / -0
    My Problem with vr is that you're inside a game and the real World is blocked by the vr headset.
    And I know me, i play not just a hour in a row, sometimes 3-4 h. And this long time with a vr headset,i cant believe thats comfortable. The imersion is huge, yes of course but a triple screen too ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Not Lifting Off

Not Lifting Off Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    I got a second hand lg 32ln5400 1080p perfect replacement for my 19inch monitor, set the input to pc mode it is perfect, great image, no noticable ghosting or lag, digital audio out if you want it only two hdmi though.

10. Insaneozzy

Ratings:
    +242 / 0 / -0
    @pixeljetstream and @Tarik Userli
    Agreed, I too spend more than a few hours in the seat at times, sometimes up to 8hrs, using a VR unit for that period would definitely create visual issues long term, and I'm half blind now lol :p
    Also another positive of tripple screens is that if one dies you can still play using a single screen.

11. AnthonyRofail

AnthonyRofail Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Gents
    I love this trend. I am looking at buying 3x 28in 4k monitors. Also connecting crossfire, but niw I believe crossfire does not work for now.
    Is it worth it to buy the 4k monitors?
    Ant

12. pixeljetstream

pixeljetstream Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +412 / 0 / -0
    To me that sounds very expensive, imo downsampling 3/4k to full HD is a cheaper and also very noticeable quality improvement.
    That is, if you want to spend the money on rendering 3x 4k...

13. Insaneozzy

Ratings:
    +242 / 0 / -0
    Totally unnecessary spending of your hard earned, but if you have the cash to burn "go for it". ;)

Personally I would put the money your going to spend on the 4k monitors into a high end nVidia GTX980 or Titan V/card which run triples easily, and 3 x 32" 1440mhz monitors, best affordable triples setup on the planet IMO.
    I have a single GTX 980 running 3x32" tv's and it runs smooth as silk with high graphic settings in RRE, AC, Pcars and Dirt Rally and never had an issue (touch's wooden table) But I really want 3x32" 1440Mhz monitors eventually.

ATI video cards (crossfire) have had issues with many games over the years, I ran crossfire many moons ago, but had no end of dramas with their drivers, and when one of my 8550's died, I gave up and went back to nVidia cards, sure more expensive initially but far less drama's in the long haul, but each to their own :D

Good luck with it Anthony :)

cheers

• Like Like x 1
  14. AnthonyRofail

AnthonyRofail Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Thank you Insaneozzy

• Like Like x 1
  15. Ben Joeres

Ben Joeres Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    Hey people,

first of all happy new year to all of you :) I have made a decision now =) Since i want to add more monitors in the next time i have chosen this monitor for me: http://www.amazon.de/Asus-VC279H-Mo...p/B00WGD2958/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8

The Asus VC279H has great reaction time, nearly no frame, looks great, its matt/matte and if i update it with 2 more of the same kind it will be a great picture. The reason i decided against a projector or a 21/9 34 inch Monitor is the fact that the resolution of 3 full hd pc monitors will be much bigger. The reason i decided against 3x32inch tv monitor setup is that i only sit 40 inches/100cm away and i will have to move my head "much" more and also is the reaction time and the space i would need for them just too much ;)

I will try to post some pictures of it in the future if im ready with it in the thread here and in the show your cockpit section.

You all have a great start in the new year 2016 ! Thx for all the advices and help :)

greetings Ben

16. Dave R

Dave R Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +576 / 0 / -0
    Excellnt choice. Keep in mind that you don't necessarily have to have 3 of the same kind of monitor, just two more with the same resolution and refresh rate. I have two different brands of monitors but all are the same res and ref and it's fine for triples. I love my triples and wish I'd done it far sooner than I did. I knew it would be amazing for racing games, but surprisingly, FPS and other genres work well with triples too. I just wish Diablo 3 could be used with triples. Brings it down a bit. ENJOY

• Wonderful Wonderful x 1
  17. Insaneozzy

Ratings:
    +242 / 0 / -0
    Good choice mate, you wont regret it, I look forward to seeing some pics when your ready.
    And all the best for the new year, hope its a good one :)

Cheers

18. Ben Joeres

Ben Joeres Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    Hey all, how do u like this TV? http://onlineshop.real.de/Full-HD-LED-TV-109cm-43-Zoll-LC-43CFE6351-SmartTV/0286819001001
    http://www.sharp.eu/av/product/6350-2/43/lc-43cfe6351e/

i found out its basically this model but with an different brand on it http://www.amazon.de/Samsung-UE43J5...=1451776842&sr=1-1&keywords=Samsung+UE43J5670

I just wrote a mail to them regarding the input lag and the reaction time. It uses samsung technique(inner parts are all from samsung) but its cheaper cuz the name is "smaller". What do u think =) worth a try? i could try it out then give it back, already talked to the store where they are selling it =)

19. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Are you still aiming at having a triple screen setup? How far away are you gonna be sitting? Those are massive...

20. Insaneozzy

Ratings:
    +242 / 0 / -0
    Looks the part Ben, but 43" is little over kill for triples don't ya think, lol.
    You will find most flat panel tv screens and components are produced by Samsung, seems they have the best screen technology, they all look the same to me regardless of the brand name :)