Horribly stupid VR question - how do I see my buttons?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Don Rudi, Oct 17, 2018.

1. Don Rudi

Don Rudi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +284 / 0 / -0
    Hi all,

now that I finally moved from my trusted GTX 970 to a GTX 1080, VR is slowly becoming an option to look at. My biggest concern though, are my buttons and switches. For sim racing I have the setup shown in the picture, with all pit stop related stuff on the left panel and all car related stuff on the right panel. For flightsimming I have a HOTAS and two Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs in front of the monitor.

The stupid question now - how do I "see" these buttons, switches, knobs, MFDs when using a VR headset? I may find the buttons on the wheel blindly, but with all others I am pretty sceptical.

Cheers
    myRig.jpg

2. Thomas Friedrich

Thomas Friedrich Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192 / 0 / -0
    This could be an interesting solution for the future:

https://forum.sector3studios.com/in...l-time-mixed-reality-in-vr.11203/#post-157552

It’s at an early development stage right now, so not very easy to set up and not comfortable to use. I hope it will be developed further, as it’s an ‚one man show‘, as far as I know. At least this would be real ‚mixed reality‘.

As for now, I only use 5 or 6 buttons on my wheel that I can reach blindly. It’s ok for me, don’t need more...

• Like Like x 1
  3. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +130 / 0 / -0
    You won't be able to see those with say, CV1. WMR devices allow so called flashlight view, where you can see part of our world, but based on my experience with WMR I can't recommend going that way. Something to keep in mind is that our brain is incredibly powerful, and believe it or not, I bet you will remember all those buttons even without seeing them. The hard part is changing rims, that's difficult to memorize blind, but fixed buttons - I bet you'd be able to guess them (I can type with keyboard I can't see, let alone use CSW rim that I use in last couple of weeks).

• Like Like x 1
  4. Don Rudi

Ratings:
    +284 / 0 / -0
    Thanks guys. I am not that afraid when it comes to my racing rig, but I am scared when it comes to my flight simming setup. Even without VR headset I have to look at my throttle grip to hit the correct switches and buttons, so I doubt I will find them blindly :(

5. FormelLMS

FormelLMS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    For pitstops I use crewchief. So I don't have to use much buttons.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Don Rudi

Ratings:
    +284 / 0 / -0
    You use the voice commands?

7. FormelLMS

FormelLMS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    Yes. So I only have one button assigned to my crew chief.

I ask him about the fuel, prepare a pitstop or penalty, change the pitstop pre settings and so on.

In fact driving raceroom in VR with only those buttons: Upshift, Downshift, Pit Limiter, DRS / P2P and Crew Chief. I don't think that I use any other buttons in R3E.

In flight sims I think it's hotas and mouse, but tried it only a few minutes. I need a steering wheel, four wheels and some asphalt to be happy :)

• Like Like x 1
  8. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    If you put the thrill aside, flight-simming in VR is a bit more difficult than racing in VR. The tendency in VR-Flight-Simming is less hardware but more interaction with the touch-controller for example. So more or less you only need the HOTAS and the touch-controller. With the Controller you interact with the buttons in the cockpit. Not in every sim (or plane in that sim) that is working already but it is getting more and more.
    But note - with the current resolution and displays of the VR-Headsets it is difficult to read and when it comes to combat flight-sims, it is difficult to see objects that are far away.

By the way. When using my CV1, I have a small gap between my nose and the headset. If I need to see something, I try to view through that gap.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Racki

Racki Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +131 / 0 / -0
    You could check out this one with a free trial: http://voiceattack.com

Perhaps it may even add immersion since in reality many instructions go to your pitcrew or copilot in verbal form...

• Like Like x 1
  10. Don Rudi

Ratings:
    +284 / 0 / -0
    My primary flightsim is DCS, in P3D or XP11 I would not see much problems, as the whole cockpit is clickable and one has plenty of time. In DCS it is more like be quick or be dead :) How does this touch controller work? Some sort of glove?
    As I basically just look with my left eye - does each eye see the whole picture in the VR headset or is it showing half pictures for left and right?

11. Don Rudi

Ratings:
    +284 / 0 / -0
    I've heard a lot about it and especially in the DCS community many people use voiceattack. So I shall give it a try - thanks!

12. Gopher04

Gopher04 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +237 / 0 / -0
    @Don Rudi just a quicky, notice in you pic you have the right rotary marked for TC, which sim? I only know of ACC thats supports right now, and even then is swaps them round so TC uses the left..

13. Don Rudi

Ratings:
    +284 / 0 / -0
    I placed the stickers according to... erm... a pciture I found? But that would explain why I can't get it to work in ACC either - thanks!!!! I will try it this afternoon :)

14. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    The Touch-Controler from oculus are basically stand alone-controlers recognizing your hand-movement and some basic gesture-recognition. DCS also has click-able cockpits and they are implementing support for the/any touch-controller. I'm not sure how far it is in the current state. I hope that the development of gloves move on. There are already some, like capto-glove:

In each display is more or less the same picture. But for sure in each is a little offset to produce the picture that each eye would see and that way create the 3D-Impression. So for example with the left eye you wouldn't see the right outer side. But on the other hand, you can move your head a little to see more on the right.

15. Don Rudi

Ratings:
    +284 / 0 / -0
    You officially are my hero! I swapped the rotaries in the ACC controls setup and now it works fine :D No idea, why I labeled them the wrong way. Big thanks!

• Like Like x 1
  16. Gopher04

Gopher04 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +237 / 0 / -0
    NP bud, I actually want them the other way round but it doesn't seem it possible for now hopefully it will change but atleast they work in one sim..

• Like Like x 1
  17. Don Rudi

Ratings:
    +284 / 0 / -0
    Thanks a lot, though I fear you just made me spend 400 Euros ;) Sounds like it is worth a try - according to the eye doctor I should not be able to see the outer right edge anyway, yet I do - so maybe I am lucky in VR as well ;)
    So the only "problem" remains that weird Oculus Home story from the other thread, I guess.

18. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +130 / 0 / -0
    Yes, I would be a bit worried about flight sims too, as you need more buttons in those, I imagine. But somehow folks use them in VR :)

Other people mentioned nose opening on this thread, just FYI, there's a company VRCover, that makes alternative face interfaces. My original CV1 just came apart from all the wear, and I got VRCover. It has bigger nose opening, which initially seemed like a drawback, but turned out to be a good thing. I don't notice it while racing, so it doesn't harm immersion, but the great benefit for me was that I no longer get lens fogging. Previously, lenses would fog until lens and face temperatures got equal, but not with VRCover. I think bigger nose opening improves ventilation and reduces fogging.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Michael Jeffries

Michael Jeffries Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Check out FragmentVR on the Steam store. It allows you to create a window with your HTC Vive camera which lets you see through the headset into a box you create making 4 corners. It's coming to the Vive Pro soon also.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Don Rudi

Ratings:
    +284 / 0 / -0
    Thanks everyone. I just put an Oculus Rift in my Amazon basket and should receive it this saturday :)

• Like Like x 1