How did you learn the Nordschleife?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Badgerous, Jun 9, 2020.

1. Zziggy

Zziggy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +73 / 0 / -0
    To be honest, I have always hated the Nordschleife. The constant stress not to throw it away in each corner, and then eventually doing it nonetheless - car damage, invalid lap - this was just no fun. Although I know all the corners etc. from way back in GPL where you had a tool to practice sectors. Then I tried again today for the 911 GT3 Cup Competiton, and in practice for it (with the Endurance spec car) I made an important (for me) discovery: the default camber settings are just too high (for my liking). When I reduced the camber to -2,7 front and -2,2 in the back, all of a sudden the car became less nervous and for the first time I was relaxed, keeping the car on the road, and feeling in control. Now I have made friendship with the Nordschleife, and a new favourite track!:)

My guess is that the default camber is made for racetracks, where you constantly have +90 degree corners, while the Nordschleife is more like a normal road, needing less camber

2. Badgerous

Badgerous Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +223 / 0 / -0
    The weather was appaling here in the UK over the w/e, so I took the opportunity to finally get stuck in.

As suggested, I used Gran Turismo - GT:S to be precise. The ability to learn sectors in isolation worked perfectly for me. I learned them in groups of 3, and then chained them together on a full lap as I went. - If any areas were iffy/forgotten, I'd redo that individual sector a couple of times again. I really hammered them home before moving on, and on the 4th attempt at the full track I comfortably got the gold time.

Then onto the rig with RRE and VR, and the time investment transfered flawlessly. I totally get it now - What an amazing track. :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. sergeich

sergeich Active Member

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    NS - one of not many tracks which requires not only 100500 practice laps. It have complex vertical/horiz shapes. If you use slow and simple cars (or traction control is set to max) - just drive 100500 laps :). But if you take hard cars - you should understand car's physics. If you want drive NS fast - you should often visit LakeView Hillclimb and Dirt Rally 2.0 :) See you there :)
    P.S.: Also useful practice - rFactor's version with rain/storm.

4. Badgerous

Badgerous Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +223 / 0 / -0
    I was actually surprised how quickly it all came together. It breaks down into 'this bit' and then 'that bit' quite nicely, often with large flat-out sections in between that you don't need to really commit to memory.

I'm not sure I could mentally sketch out the full thing like I could with 'normal' tracks yet, but I've no issue with recalling what's coming up next when I'm actually on it.

5. DanFraser

DanFraser New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It's not quite the right game, but after watching many (oh so many) guides on youtube, this is in my opinion the best one out there:

It's a five parter but the time flies and you learn soooo much. It's very relevant to any Nordschleife variation across many games. I've experienced my lap times tumble and confidence improve massively with this one.

6. Turtle Power

Turtle Power Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    I guess it appeals to people who may prefer long distance road race but not necessarily true. I think this track is a phenomenon, hard to master and fun to race on. For me it was love from the beginning. Mainly because I could take a car for a spin and go through many challenges. There is so much going on and all you need to so is try cars that feel the most suitable for this track.

By the way, race line helps if you are note familiar with the track. Just not sure how accurate is RR race line?

7. Bull Shark

Bull Shark Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    Lol... the other day I wrote on the Reiza forum,
    it looks like I’m not the only one.. perhaps it is because of the length of the track. I guess I just have to start racing against the AI which I tone down from 100% to 10% and just follow their lead. This 100 times and with every 10th time, up the AI strength with 10%.:D

8. Andy Kettler

Andy Kettler Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,107 / 0 / -0
    My first Nordschleife experience was:

• Like Like x 2