How to create a game like RaceRoom or Need For Speed?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by anighther, Sep 30, 2019.

1. anighther

anighther New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have been asking around about tools, frameworks and game engines which are the best suited for making a racing video game like NFS or RR.

But everyone told me to use Unity as its most popular engine (most tutorials) and one of best engines if not best regardless what game im making.

I am not sure this is true hah.. I have been following free guides at youtube, google, unity doc, this website, and so far it goes great, but its directed more towards RPG games. Even at youtube or in unity documentation theres no much info about racing games.

I am not really interested in RPG hah... Would love to know which engine (and some tutorial if you have?) is best for creating a racing game? Is RaceRoom using any specific engine or framework?

Thanks a lot.

2. Vantskruv

Vantskruv Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    I think what you asking, is which engine has the best car-physics.
    I do not think it matter if choosing Unreal Engine, or Unity, or whatever, has you would probably implement your own car-physics engine, or use an external library specific for car-physics, which is better then the selected engine you use.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. pixeljetstream

pixeljetstream Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +412 / 0 / -0
    You will be coding the drive physics foremost, so pick whatever engine makes that the most comfortable to you.

Actually that is universally true, pick whatever tools you get the hang out best with. Then stick to it and pull through.

Having attainable goals that are reachable, helps. For example either do something basic, but complete it nicely (full game experience). Or focus on technical aspects and not so much on a big game around it (say driving physics for one car on one track...).
    Go with your initial feeling what interests you more.