How to improve PC

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Miguel Vallejo, Jan 25, 2016.

1. Miguel Vallejo

Miguel Vallejo Member

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    Hi all, my question is if in my case if compensated improve something in my system or save for in the future replace it completely.
    RaceRoom run normally stable at about 60 fps, in medium level of video, but sometimes suffer performance falls around 50/52 fps making it unplayable. Although it is only circumstantially.
    My system is:
    -Intel core i5 cpu 750 @ 2´75 GHZ
    -8´0 Gb RAM
    -AMD Radeon HD 7700 series.

Thanks in advance.

2. Not Lifting Off

Not Lifting Off Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    • Like Like x 1
  3. shardshunt

shardshunt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +490 / 0 / -0
    52 fps unplayable... what have i been doing my whole life(clearly not playing). :p

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    In addition to what NLO said, upgrading your gpu would definitely give you a major boost. Everything else should be up for the task but a 7700 is clearly lacking (if you want to run smooth on higher settings).
    With vsync enabled it's pretty unplayable with anything below 60.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. gp20

gp20 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +53 / 0 / -0
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Miguel Vallejo

Miguel Vallejo Member

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for all the replies. For now overclocking is not an option.
    Would it be better to change the graphic card or increase the ram?

7. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    In terms of gaming and visual performance increasing the amount of ram you use wouldn't make much difference. Using faster ram could improve loading times and such but if you're looking to improve framerates or being able to increase the visual settings you're only real option is to upgrade to a new gpu.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Not Lifting Off

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    What else do you play or use your system for? Any particular reason as to no OC?
    As Christian said your GPU is the only real option.

9. Miguel Vallejo

Miguel Vallejo Member

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    I dont have sufficient knowledge to do so... I.m afraid to spoil something.
    Basically I use this system to play R3E and Spintires, and editing photography

10. Not Lifting Off

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    It is possible you could damage something, but very very unlikely, follow the guides i posted, im pretty sure in your case its a couple of bios changes and you`re done, once youve done it you`ll never look back. Easy to find out, search google for your mobo with the word overclocking included.
    This alone would get a huge bump if you oc`ed your cpu, the % improvent would scale almost 1-1 so a 50% overclock would give virtually a 50% improvement, it is dependent on other parts, memory mobo, editing photos is reason enough to oc for me.

11. Paradox Agi

Paradox Agi Active Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Is R3E this much dependent on CPU performance? I managed to overclock mine once but set it back to stock because there was no application really benefiting from it. I will try this out I think.

@Miguel Vallejo As other said, if you want to improve performance significantly, you should upgrade your graphics card. But if you are just playing R3E and Spintires, this only makes sense if you have troubles with the R3E performance, as Spintires runs (all maxed out) at a friends computer 'powered' by a HD5770 at constantly 60fps.

12. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    NLO was talking about this:
    ^ This, photo editing. ;)

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Paradox Agi

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Yes... I see... but I doubt that a new processor will significantly improve this application. The i5 we are talking about is not that bad and a newer i5, without oc, will not be as fast as most people would notice the difference. Photo editing was part of the job I learned and I most of the time I used the slowest machines they got there and they worked out for me. Of course, a newer generation cpu would be faster, but, if it is worth the money spent depends on the difference it makes to what is currently there. I think the machine we are talking about is really nice, except the graphics. And, of course, this is just what I think.

14. Not Lifting Off

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    No-one mentioned a new cpu ;)
    But if i had a cpu with the oc potential that the op has, mixed with the fact that he likes to edit photos, you can be sure i would be overclocking it.
    Benchmarks speak for themselves especially the photoshop results.
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/core-i5-750-overclock,2438-9.html

• Like Like x 1
  15. Paradox Agi

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Of course, I would overclock this cpu myself, if I had one. 50% is double the potential from what I can achieve with my cpu (4,3 Ghz was maximum within a healthy voltage range). But Miguel Vallejo does not want to overclock, so this seems to be no option.

The photoshop benchmarks are what they are, benchmarks in the end. Applying six filters is not the main task in picture editing. If a user just uses single filters from time to time, he probably would not notice the difference. And yes, the overclocking results are really impressive.

16. Miguel Vallejo

Miguel Vallejo Member

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    Ok, thanks again for all the responses. Of course, must take the OC as the only option.
    When I use photoshop or lightroom, the system is very stable, just sometimes a little slow. But not a problem for me, the only place I want to improve performance is R3E..

^ This, photo editing. ;)[/QUOTE]

My english is horrible sometimes... :(

17. Paradox Agi

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    If you have some question about the oc feel free to ask. Took me some time to sort out any kind of nonsense the web provides regarding overclocking. Maybe I can help you getting into it a little faster. In any case, before you start, make sure you have a proper cooling solution. The intel cooler can't take it.

In the end, even if you overclock the CPU, the bottleneck in R3E performance is the graphics card. Some midrange products (GTX 960, R9 380) should be powerfull enough for a single full hd monitor. What kind of setup are you planning to use?

18. shardshunt

Ratings:
    +490 / 0 / -0
    acctually r3e is a very cpu heavy platform and cpu usually has more effect then gpu.

19. Paradox Agi

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Even if the gpu is a quite slow and low-end HD7770? I will check out what difference overclocking makes in the next few days with my own system but until then I can't believe that this graphics card is fast enough for R3E with proper visuals (60fps, low or no flickering).

20. shardshunt

Ratings:
    +490 / 0 / -0
    a better card will help a lot but dont underestimate the difference the cpu will still make. i run a 315M admittedly at almost min settings and i get 60 fps. the cpu dependency actually helps a lot with older systems.