Question How to know when a car is fitted with shift paddle or sequential ?

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by JTT - Gege21 - (FR), Feb 17, 2018.

1. JTT - Gege21 - (FR)

JTT - Gege21 - (FR) Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Hello,
    I wished to know how to choose a car which is fitted with sequential gear shifter. I believe all formula cars are fitted with shift paddles but others cars I don't know. Mainly the old cars like the BMW E30 are fitted with H pattern shifter but for the others with sequential shifting gear withourt paddle shifter I whished where to find this feature on the shop or elsewhere.

Some help will be very appreciated
    Cheers
    Gerard

2. tothrauldaniel

tothrauldaniel Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    Paddle - F1, GT2, GT3, GT4, Modern DTM, P1, P2, WTCC, F2, F3, Indycar, GTR X, Hill Climb, Silhouette, Aquila, Audi TT
    H - Everything else because for some reason even the cars that had Sequential Stick Shift in real life, here are versions with paddle shifters. Or for example the BMW M3 GTR (E46) had a H shifter and the clutch was used only on start, stop and down shifting, but it's not like that in the game, so you can see it's pretty simple to figure out. Also you can set a button for mouse look and just look in the car to see what it has.

3. Viggdred

Viggdred Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +118 / 0 / -0
    WTCC use sequential, not paddle...;)

4. JTT - Gege21 - (FR)

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Thank you very much for the response. I have Track IR so it is very easy to look in driver view if the car is fitted with sequential shift lever or if there is no lever, I presume it has paddle shifter.
    Anyway now I'm aware that the most cars have paddles shifter. But is there a place in game or on the shop where I can see the mechanical gear features for each car apart the car setup options ?
    Thanks
    Cheers
    Gerard

Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
  5. JTT - Gege21 - (FR)

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Ah very interesting as I own a G25 wheel with a separate Leo Bobnar shifter montage, so can switch from H pattern to sequential and setting in game main option parameters the two sequential shifter lever positions as up shift and down shift.

Now I will to test it with WTCC cars.

Thank you very much for these accuracies.

Cheers
    Gerard

• Like Like x 1
  6. Mich Angel

Mich Angel Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +216 / 0 / -0
    Paddle and sequential stick is the same they both use a sequential gearbox the actuation lever is just different, one use a stick the other paddles. :D
    As in it is not the stick or paddles that are sequential it's the gearbox what actuation lever that is used varies but function is still the same on a sequential and there are a bunch different versions of sequential gearboxes.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
  7. Jorgen Wahlby

Jorgen Wahlby Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    The benefit of using paddles is that you always have both of your hands on the steering wheel when shifting and will in general be a tiny bit faster than with a gear lever where you have to steer with one hand while shifting. Whit paddles it's easier to shift in the corners which sometimes can be really bad if the game is setup correctly (physics wise) as it will upset the cars tracktion when done wrong but also for the rhythm of the shifting itself. Shaun Cole at The Simpit explains it very good. For the explanation I meen go to 11:38 in the video.

• Like Like x 1
  8. JTT - Gege21 - (FR)

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Ok for the feedback and review video but as I wont afford this expensive price just for a sequential shifter because I don't really need to recreate a custom driver seat with all the needed pieces of hardware. Plus I don't play only racing car all the time, I need to be able to move quickly from my wheel + shifter to a flight stick or simply only the keyboard. I don't want to have a permanent fixed seat driver.
    Anyway as stated, using paddles shifter we have the advantage to take both hands on the wheel and shifting at the same time.
    But as I have the possibility to mimic a sequential shifter lever with my G25 shifter, I like to recreate the real shifting behaviour in game.
    Thanks

• Like Like x 1