How to setup triple screens

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by Sector3, Nov 30, 2017.

1. MattStone

MattStone Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +96 / 0
    Oh you I’ll love it. I can’t stand playing on a single monitor now.
    I’m getting away with 24’s but ideally I want 27’s. I’d think 32’s would be best but you need some serious room to have those around you.

The biggest thing with triples is you have to have that centre screen as close as possible to your wheel so expecting to have them set up on a desk doesn’t make best use of them as you can’t get the side screens at the right angle as the stands would need to be balancing off the edge of a normal desk

2. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +107 / 0
    Good to know, I have another question, can i play games like Tomb Raider or Wolfenstein 2 or similar in triples also?
    I was thinking to keep my 40" 4k monitor and put it facing the other way, basically facing 180 and sit a lounge to play those games but playing o with the triples could be even better.

3. Bull Shark

Bull Shark Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +55 / 0
    Tomb Raider(latest version) is possible indeed. Plays nice. You only need a beast of a GFX card to play it in 7680x1440 and all settings maxed out..

4. Fanapryde

Fanapryde Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +391 / 0
    Well, I wouldn't call Belgium local...:)
    But if you are planning holidays here, you are welcome.

Triple screen (3 x 27" 144Hz, 1ms response time) is really good. Beats (imo, because I get nausea in VR - amongst other negatives) everything else.
    Maybe, just maybe, 3 x 32" would be even better, but that would put too much strain on my system atm.
    And it is not just me... Several friends who tried were really impressed, even two VR users that moved to triples now.

5. 2ndLastJedi

Ratings:
    +107 / 0
    Thanks for the offer .
    Is that 1080p ?

6. 2ndLastJedi

Ratings:
    +107 / 0
    Yeah , SOTTR is hard even just 1440p maxed , tha''s 3657600 pixels , i wonder how low id need to go to get it to run at 6220800 ? which is 3x1080p screens .
    Wolfenstein 2 on the other hand runs perfectly at 4k maxed , that's 8294400 pixels ! even pushing 80 fps on my rig .
    I wish more developers used Vulkan !
    I'm going to look for a list of games that play in triple screen glory , maybe that will push me harder even , may sell my 4k monitor if it works out , but i don't want to limit other games to just the center 27 inch screen , that would be a real step backwards .

• Like Like x 1
  7. Bull Shark

Ratings:
    +55 / 0
    Yeah, No Man’s Sky does run on Vulcan. 7680x1440p all maxed out and still no stuttering.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. Turtle Power

Turtle Power Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +153 / 0
    Before you go with triples you should ask yourself what is your primary purpose. Racing sims or other games? If you main purpose is racing or flight sims then go with triples. For other games is not much better. It can be a problem.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
  9. pixeljetstream

pixeljetstream Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +378 / 0
    I have tripples but think that today's wide screens are mostly enough, judging from the effective area on screens I am looking at. Also there is not that many games with true tripples support for steeper angles. So while it adds to immersion you may not be able to use the sides effectively.
    Also cost wise a single screen may give you more modern features (hz variable refresh etc.). A few years back when I got it the wide screen options just weren't good enough, now there is a bit more.
    Not a fan of the ergonomics of VR (heat etc.).

10. Bull Shark

Ratings:
    +55 / 0
    For racing games I like my triples. The angle of the side panels makes it much nicer to view than an ultra wide screen. If you play mainly fps games I would go for an ultra wide indeed.
    I play mostly Cockpit games so the triples are fine. The perfect rig does not exist yet. You always have pro’s and con’s..
    I love to race in VR, bad thing is that I can’t use my tablets/phones etc as 2nd screen. So pro’s and con’s

• Like Like x 1
  11. 2ndLastJedi

Ratings:
    +107 / 0
    Racing absolutely first priority but i don't mind a bit of pew pew and my kids play on my PC also , Forza , Emulations (Cemu) so need to consider how i'm going to incorporate my existing monitor .
    How big of a widescreen do you mean ? If its the 49 " ,they are still quite pricey and a 35" doesnt get much more side view than my 40" 16:9 .

12. 2ndLastJedi

Ratings:
    +107 / 0
    I also enjoyed VR (as you know) but i got feed up with the constant battle between performance and visuals , i felt the need to keep my eye on the GPU market in the hope for morpwr (hey Mate) and while the 2080Ti did eventually come it just isn't worth the price ,4k is perfect really on my 1080Ti so if i go 1920x1080 triples i get 2000000 odd less pixels to push or 2560x1080 i get the same as 4k , so either way performance will be fine on my 1080Ti .
    I just hope the resolution - screen size (PPI) will be enough for me after so long at 4k . The 27" 2560x1080 PPI isn't that far off my 4k 40" atm , so i'm thinking it should look pretty good .
    I did hook up a cheap 32" 1080p to my PC and ran a few games on it , it looked rather ok . That's got quite a lot less pixel density also yet it still looked good enough .
    Another concern is the bezel , it seems lots of manufactures don't think to make the screen boarderless like new phones have done .

• Like Like x 1
  13. johndough247

johndough247 Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    That would be my guess, as I have the same 144Hz 27" setup. Anything higher (1440p) would be 11 million pixels, which is 3 million more than 4K (8 million) and would be too much for even the most powerful PC to push to 141 FPS.

14. Turtle Power

Ratings:
    +153 / 0
    For playing forza or other games or even emulators, a single ultra wide screen 35" + at 144hz 1080p or 1440 might be better option for you.

If you want full viewing angles and get the best possible visual immersion, your best choice would be 3 x 27" 144hz 1080p. As mentioned above, Forza and other non 3 screen supported games won't look as good.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Turtle Power

Ratings:
    +153 / 0
    In addition to 3 screen setup, you must do a little bit more research and planing. Make sure you have enough space and also consider placing your left and right side monitors as close as possible at a minimum 45 degree angle. This will allow you to look to your left and right side just like in real car. I have them places at 60 degree angle and it looks perfect. The peripheral vision at 60 degree is perfect too.

• Like Like x 1
  16. johndough247

johndough247 Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Yup, totally agree...be aware that the closer to the wheel the monitors are the tighter the angle you have to set the side monitors. I managed to get mine close enough that it takes up my entire peripheral vision. That ended up being about 18 inches away from my eyes with approximately 68-70 degree angle, but that might be too close for some.

17. Turtle Power

Ratings:
    +153 / 0
    note that in this video I was sitting a bit too far from the screens and the camera was placed too high as well. I need to find out where and how to mount my gopro in order to show better viewing angles

18. Bull Shark

Ratings:
    +55 / 0
    I have mine at a 63 degree angle not 50 as I mentioned earlier.

19. Bull Shark

Ratings:
    +55 / 0
    What are your triple setup settings?

20. Turtle Power

Ratings:
    +153 / 0
    If my monitors weren't curved, I would probably have them at around 65 degree. Since my screens are curved, 60 degree is plenty.

• Like Like x 1