How to setup triple screens

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by Sector3, Nov 30, 2017.

1. Turtle Power

Turtle Power Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +153 / 0 / -0
    Launch Settings in steam are:
    -triScr 75 2.1 59.6 33.8 1.2 59.6 33.8 1.2 60 59.6 33.8 1.2 60 1

Edit:
    according to mathematical calculation it seems all correct. The distance from my eyes to middle screen is 68cm but I find it better with 75cm figure

Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
  2. Bull Shark

Bull Shark Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +58 / 0 / -0
    Yeah same for me. I have set it a bit higher then it actually is.
    You play in 1440p or 1080p?

3. Turtle Power

Ratings:
    +153 / 0 / -0
    1080p 144hz

• Like Like x 1
  4. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +107 / 0 / -0
    Okay, I will keep my 4k monitor for all non triples games ;)
    The closest I really want my center screen is how I have it now, tucked up under my CSWV2 which is 67cm., I'm thinking about 2560x1080 27" {same pixels as 4k} but that will lower my screen height compared to standard 1080p screen.

5. johndough247

johndough247 Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    I would suggest sticking with regular 1920 x 1080; I don't think the extra physical width will be worth the reduced physical height, especially since triple setups are very sensitive to your eye level relative to the monitor's vertical center or "horizon", and the smaller the physical screen height, the more sensitive it is (granted that Raceroom is one of the few sims that have a variable to correct eye level offset).

Also, you might want that extra GPU headroom to get you as close to 144 FPS as possible. Multiview rendering already adds an extra performance hit; adding 4K-level pixel counts will be a heavy load unless you run on much lower quality settings. Your system is pretty close to mine (8700K @ 5.0Ghz, Overclocked RTX 2080, 16GB 3000Mhz RAM), and with my standard 1920 x 1080 triple setup I get most sims to stay in the 100 - 144 FPS range. Raceroom does pretty well in this regard on medium/high settings...only Automobilista gets better FPS on average, but that's not surprising since it uses rFactor 1's engine.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. 2ndLastJedi

Ratings:
    +107 / 0 / -0
    Yeah thanks mate , i think my mind is now set on 27" 16:9 1080p screens now .
    Now which screens ?
    Its not something im buying tomorrow , i will be saving and looking until after Christmas at this point , Family obligations will take priority and my 4k screen is doing well enough atm .

7. Turtle Power

Ratings:
    +153 / 0 / -0
    I am super happy with: Asus Rog Strix 27inch 144hz Curved. Get some reference from other members and then visit your local stores.

Edit: ...just in case, don't bother asking salesman about the racing setup, most likely they won't know anything about it unless they are sim racers.

8. johndough247

johndough247 Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    When I was shopping for this early this year I would have gone with what @Turtle Power suggested as well, but I found a great deal on 3 refurbished Asus VG278Q on Newegg so I took a chance and got those (all 3 work great). The viewing angle isn't great (TN panel) and it's not curved, but other than that it's great for sim-racing and, brand new, they run about $50 less per monitor the ROG Strix and $125 less per monitor refurbished. Also, I'm not sure if the ROG Strix is officially listed as G-sync compatible yet, but I know the VG278Q definitely is.

Also, if you setup your screens level to your eye height correctly, the TN panel shouldn't be much of an issue. Probably the cheapest way to get 27" G-sync Triples right now.

• Like Like x 1
  9. 2ndLastJedi

Ratings:
    +107 / 0 / -0
    Does this even matter ? Ive read that they all just work .

10. Turtle Power

Ratings:
    +153 / 0 / -0
    Typically if your computer and GPU are powerful enough it wouldn't matter. G-sync is always welcome but not essential.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
  11. 2ndLastJedi

Ratings:
    +107 / 0 / -0
    I really mean , dont all Free sync monitors just work on modern nVidia cards ? No need to be on the compatible list .

12. Turtle Power

Ratings:
    +153 / 0 / -0
    All working fine. My monitors are freesync and GPU is Nvidia. No problems

• Like Like x 1
  13. pixeljetstream

pixeljetstream Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +378 / 0 / -0
    If they are not on the list, they may work with a few glitches sometimes. It's mostly a QA thing. They want a certain quality achieved to have it on the list.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Bull Shark

Ratings:
    +58 / 0 / -0
    Just watched your vid on Zandvoort with the Aquila CR1. What is your FOV setting? My view has lesser depth than I see with your FOV.

15. Turtle Power

Ratings:
    +153 / 0 / -0
    I will check when I get back.

• Like Like x 1
  16. johndough247

johndough247 Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Not essential I know, but in my experience of 3 years without G-Sync compared to now, I can't imagine racing without it.
    • Much lower possibility of tearing (which I can't stand)
    • Can run higher detail settings without worrying about dropping below v-sync (again, tearing and/or stuttering)
    • Even if your computer is powerful enough today to keep games at the monitor's refresh rate, that may not be the case for newer or updated games in the near future. Better to have a monitor that can roll with the punches long term.
    However, since you've verified those monitors do work well with G-Sync then it's all good. I was just giving him stuff to think about before purchasing.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Turtle Power

Ratings:
    +153 / 0 / -0

Attached Files:

• FOV.jpg
      FOV.jpg
      File size:
      548.8 KB
      Views:
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Turtle Power

Ratings:
    +153 / 0 / -0
    For your reference, there is one very cool Facebook group "High End Sim Racing Enthusiasts". I think its well worth checking photos posted by sim racers. Very useful for getting some ideas.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Bull Shark

Ratings:
    +58 / 0 / -0
    Thanks.. will take a look at the FB group.:D

• Like Like x 1
  20. 2ndLastJedi

Ratings:
    +107 / 0 / -0
    Already there ;)