HTC Vive Pro

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Michael Jeffries, Jul 12, 2018.

1. Michael Jeffries

Michael Jeffries Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Hey Everyone!

Does anyone have VR Graphic settings for an HTC Vive Pro? I'm new to RaceRoom and trying to get into it, coming from iRacing :)

I currently have a 1080Ti, 8700k, 32gb ram, so it's considered a higher end PC.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

TIA!

• Like Like x 1
  2. ndwthx1138

ndwthx1138 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    I have a vive pro, and my gpu is close to yours (titan). My cpu and gpu are both over clocked a bit (i7 6960x).

So I’m a big “no 45fps” in a racing sim. So my settings are all based on getting 90fps. After 800 hours in VR due to work and this hobby I won’t even entertain the idea that 45fps is acceptable.

Super Sampling 1.7 to 1.8
    AAx4
    Shadows low
    Reflections low
    LOD medium or low
    Opponent Cockpit anim off
    Split shadows off
    17 cars visible
    Rear view mirror low (iRacing implements this so so much better it’s a rough comparison)
    And I think I have everything else on high.

Bloom, god rays, motion blur etc don’t work in VR in Raceroom. I have them all turned off or low, but regardless they don’t work.

Lastly and insanely stupid.
    -turn the vr flag off
    - load the game
    - change the resolution to 720P
    - exit game
    - add VR tag again
    - launch game in VR - enjoy 15-20% more performance.

Game is rendering a 3rd image and it’s a fairly tough hit, the 720p res only affects your menus and monitor displays, not the vr resolution. Assetto has this same silly issue. Even turning the mirror/monitor option off still doesn’t cure the issue.

There are a few tracks that can’t be run in VR without ASW popping on and off or stuttering. Sonoma sadly and the latest Chinese track. Spa can be rough post turn 1 but dropping super sampling to 1.7 cures any stuttering for me.

Hope this helps.

NathanW

• Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
  3. Michael Jeffries

Michael Jeffries Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    That's insanely thorough. Thank you VERY much for this info NathanW!

I'm going to tinker with it soon.

4. Michael Jeffries

Michael Jeffries Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    So I played around with the settings a bit. Should I play with the STEAM VR SS Percentage scale for RaceRoom? Or just set the launch options as -vr 1.7?

Also, for some reason, I put these settings in, and it looks kind of blurry still. iRacing still looks better than Raceroom. Am I doing something wrong, or does raceroom not look as clear as iRacing does?

5. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    AfaIk you should leave the scale for RR on 100 % at all times, otherwise there might be some distortions. But @Thomas Jansen knows way more about this than me.

6. Michael Jeffries

Michael Jeffries Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Ok that's how I left it in Steam VR settings 100% for SS, but in the loading options I wrote:

"-vr 1.7"

So it's supersampling up to 1.7. Raceroom themselves set their VR SS to 1.5 automatically.

7. switchface

switchface Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +111 / 0 / -0
    How do you guys compare the Vive Pro to the Vive?

I've yet to try VR for a race sim (I'm on 46" triple projector screens), but I know its the inevitable future. I've been holding out for the next wave of hardware, so just curious how the Pro stacks up to the previous/regular version in your opinions.

8. Michael Jeffries

Michael Jeffries Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I had the Oculus Rift before the Vive Pro so I cant compare it, but it's definitely clearer, except the type of lenses used in the Oculus are better.

9. ndwthx1138

ndwthx1138 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    I’ve recently reduced shaders to medium and track detail to medium to get SS up to 2.0 which seems to be holding (meaning I stay at 90fps).

There is a way to add negative LOD bias which can add sharpness but it has to be very small or I get too much buzzing.

I don’t think there is much more magic to be had. IRacing’s rendering engine simply produces a clearer image in stereo/vr. I feel like the iRacing image IS easier to read but also looks less real than both AC and RR.

10. Michael Jeffries

Michael Jeffries Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
  11. Michael Jeffries

Michael Jeffries Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    W
    What about the Nvidia Control Panel? Should I set any of the options in there for RaceRoom?