I want a Rift CV1

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Not Lifting Off, Feb 3, 2017.

1. Not Lifting Off

Not Lifting Off Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    But currently using an R9 290 and dont want to be scrimping on the eye candy to accomodate it.
    Do i buy a 1080, not a big nvidia fan or wait for the next AMD release which may be 6 months away (unless someone has a little insider insight, give me a clue), by which time CV2 may well be in view and i`ll regret buying the CV1.
    Buy a 1080?
    Buy another 290 for xfire to get me by or wait for the next AMD gpu.
    Only really use my pc for a little browsing and playing RR but that may change when i have the Rift.
    Ideas, opinions, suggestions?

A headset of one kind or another is nailed on, CV1 or should i go with the Vive?

Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
  2. Gopher04

Gopher04 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +237 / 0 / -0
    I'm sure there are pro's and con's for both, but I've never used AMD series, Nvidia cards to perform well and they have never let me down, for me the con for them is their bloatware they are trying to force on people, which has stepped up another gear this week, by saying now free bundle games you get with their cards from now on you will have to have GFE installed. As for running two cards, the support for that is going, agreed by all from what I've read, how long that is going to take no idea, I'm in the market for new card right now, and I'm sticking with Nvidia, going for top 1070, 1080's well over priced for what they are, and the performance difference between the two isn't much.

3. Tuborg

Tuborg Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +457 / 0 / -0
    Do you have a link?

4. HoiHman

HoiHman Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +142 / 0 / -0
    Don't buy another R9 290 for VR. Crossfire will not work. Also the older AMD cards do not support ASW and right now you really need ASW for RaceRoom in VR.

I'm definately not a Nvidia fan boy, but right now it's best choice for VR.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Sean Kenney

Sean Kenney Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +316 / 0 / -0
    AMD new GPUs will be a second quarter release - so sometime in April, May, or June

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. mr_belowski

mr_belowski Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    For Raceroom, a 1070 and a CV1 would be a safe bet. A 1080 and a Vive is also a good pairing if you're happy to live without one of your kidneys

• Funny Funny x 3
  7. HoiHman

HoiHman Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +142 / 0 / -0
    Not entirely unimportant: No need a good CPU too.

8. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    1st of all - save the money on Crossfire. As you only play R3E, it wouldn't be utilised as R3E doesn't support Crossfire or SLI at the moment.

Regarding on headsets - it seems that a successor for the CV1 will still need some time. But there are some competitors on the horizion, which aren't much better but much cheaper. AOC or Lenovo will pretty much deliver the same as Oculus or Vive but for a Price at around 300€. The AOC seems close to the CV1 and Lenovo will have a slightly higher resolution, but you should wait for a test of them as resolution is not the only important aspect.

The next bunch of High Performance-Graphiccards from AMD are already in the pipes. No official releasedate yet, but it should be somewhere in Q2. That might be in form of a Rx 490 and the Fury 2.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. Not Lifting Off

Not Lifting Off Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    Xfire, i think i had already ruled that out before i posted. Ive held off buying a GPU simply because i wanted to see what AMD bought to the table so waiting a couple more months isnt an issue and if im going to wait for that i may well hold out to see what the comptition bring in on the vr front.
    Kinda itching to buy a headset tho and at the same time knowing i`ll need a better gpu to get the full benefits, idk, see what comes up in the next couple of days, may just hold out for the AMD then take it from there.

Thanks for the answers