Resolved i7 4790K - Temperature 75°

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by AMG Vilas ®™, Jul 23, 2015.

1. AMG Vilas ®™

AMG Vilas ®™ Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -0
    My 4790K i7 has 4.4 Ghz temperature test INTEL UTIITY EXTREME 100% has 75 ° I ask if you have the e same is dangerous this temperature.

My corsair H80I perfect configuration state, thank you for your hint
    Game Resolution 2560:1440

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Emerson Meyer

Emerson Meyer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    Yes. It´s too high.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Gladys Maria

Gladys Maria Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Do you lock the framerate i find my temps go through the roof if don't.

4. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    I'd say the temps are within the expected range, although I would have expected it to be running a little cooler with that liquid cooling system. Idle temps look excellent.
    Intel say the "magic" temperature for their cpus is 100°, they should never reach that, otherwise you run into the danger zone where the cpu might melt. But don't worry, modern cpus will shut themselves down before reaching critical temps.

I don't think Vilas is talking about running the game but Intels Extreme Utility for stress testing. (Guess this thread rather belongs in the hardware section.)

Vilas, bear in mind that this is a stress test utility and it puts maximum load on all cores, which doesn't happen while gaming or really anytime during regular use. Rule of thumb for stress testing varies but is somewhere around 80° for i7s, if the cpu stays below that even during a max load stress test your setup is fine.

If you want to lower those temperatures try disabling the turbo feature.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2015
  5. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    I had this problem a while back, found out that dust was collecting on the inside of radiator on my Corsair H80, had to remove fans and give a good defluffing, do it once a month now and cool runnings!! :)

6. Cheeseman

Cheeseman Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +265 / 0 / -0
    As far as I know, those temps might be still alright for the CPU as it is still well below 100C. Thermal shutdown only happens if the CPU exceed 100C. Haswell, like your CPU, are known to be hotter under load than Sandy Bridge or Ivy Bridge CPUs. Haswell for laptops are commonly reaching temperatures like 90C easily due to the obsession of laptop manufacturer in design thin laptops with poor heat dissipation. And that is fine, by their design standards.

Still, for a desktop reaching 75C during gaming, I say i'll either repaste or do some heatsink cleaning if i were you.

7. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0

8. Cheeseman

Ratings:
    +265 / 0 / -0
    I do not think a desktop reaching 75C is normal.

Repasting or cleaning would do more good than harm.

9. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Well, believe will always beat science, I'm afraid. Any old desktop, no matter what cpu, cooling, air temp etc?

Intel themself give 72° as the normal Tcase temp @ 84W http://www.intel.com/content/www/us...-gen-core-family-desktop-vol-1-datasheet.html
    and a max Tcase of 74° http://ark.intel.com/products/80807/Intel-Core-i7-4790K-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-4_40-GHz
    And Tcase is only the temp at the heatspreader, not the core temp.
    Why not run Prime95 (which is what the Intel utility runs) on your machine and see what results you get, relative to your cpu's standard values?
    Again, there is a reason why these are called stress test.

Of course repasting and cleaning will never do harm. I didn't say normal, read above for what's considered normal by Intel, but that

10. Emerson Meyer

Emerson Meyer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    Under stress test - not sure it's the case - then, it's ok.
    Just don't understand this kind of talking "science x believe". A little bit rude, IMO.

11. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    I don't mean to be rude, but statements like "I think/believe xyz is/isn't normal" lack any empirical value.
    For me those are the same as saying "I think pigs can fly." If somebody wants to believe in anything he can and will do so, but this is the point where rational arguments become theology, or maybe superstition.

There's no point in using such statements in a discussion, especially when it is about technical facts.

Again, apologies if I sounded rude, didn't mean to.

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. Cheeseman

Ratings:
    +265 / 0 / -0
    I am not sure what's happening here, there is no need to behave arrogantly and rudely with all these science vs believe.

Haswell are generally hotter than previous Intel chips. Just because Intel says it is normal, it does not mean that the end user should accept the values. They had been designing chips that are running hotter and hotter which isn't beneficial for consumers because not everyone is a power user who can fix these issues.

75C for a desktop is definitely not normal, as far as I am concern. I'll either re paste or buy a better heat sink because as it will cause heating issues 2-3 years down the line. I rather game with a peace of mind, than putting my hardware near it's thermal limit.

13. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    I'm tempted to quote Klaus Kinski, but I won't. But if rational arguments and facts are (mis)taken for arrogance we have a bright future ahead of us.
    I apologized, nothing else to say bout this.

It is when running a stress test with Prime95 or other stress testing tools, which is what AMG Vilas was talking about in his op.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/id-2250033/4790k-prime95-aida64-temps-stress-tests.html
    https://communities.intel.com/thread/54032

14. AMG Vilas ®™

AMG Vilas ®™ Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -0
    a simple question that is it has the disaster is good reply stop it is solved thanks

15. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    I didn't want this to become any kind of war, but in all my arrogance I don't suffer ignorance gladly, I'm afraid.

Peace out.