Idea: buy Custom Skins "slots"

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by haik, Feb 13, 2015.

1. haik

haik Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +46 / 0 / -0
    Hi everyone.

What I really like, in any sims, is driving my own custom skin/livery.
    Quite frankly, if I can't run my own, I don't care one bit If I'm running this or that livery, since they all have the same "generic race car livery" look to me (I don't mean especially in the game, IRL too).

I understand that custom livery doesn't make no business sense when the game also sells alternates liveries.

But here's an idea: we could buy custom livery "slot", one (or more) per car, for the same price as a livery currently goes, where we could upload our own skin that would be displayed offline/online.

I know it's a long shot, since that would require quite a bit of work on the backend, and to create the templates and so on...but still, that is an idea!

• Like Like x 15
  2. maxel

maxel Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    I like the idea...win win for devs and racers.

3. Black75

Black75 Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    Hi all! fortunately i run the search "custom liveries" before posting the same thing ... I join even this request!
    My idea is a bit different in terms of business sense, 'cause i believe that a custom "slot" (max 1 x car is more than enough if you have the way to make unlimited changes, in terms of number of upload in the slot) it is right if costs a little more than the price of other liveries.
    I hope that the request would be welcomed by the guys of Sector 3.
    Bye bye!

4. Rik Fast

Rik Fast Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +120 / 0 / -0
    I like the idea of a custom skin, especially that i am a business owner. How great would it be to have my own company skin.

To expand on the idea: Why not market the custom skin through the interface to other users or through steam market. Sector 3 gets a percentage and the creator gets a percentage. Plus as mentioned earlier : S3 gets the "free slot" revenue.

Sector 3 mentioned before that the problem is in the contracts with leagues or manufactures/sponsors. The marketing of brands would be lost if everybody gets there own skin. Maybe only some free spots on a predefined skin?

Moderation is needed then because otherwise you could get very insulting/disturbing liveries.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2015
  5. RomKnight

RomKnight Active Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    Although I agree leagues and custom liveries add another layer of individuality and even competition (we all like to have the most beautiful car on the track as well :D ) I don't think it is a MAJOR thing to have.

But, if you insist on having that who am I to say no :p

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. ::SKRO::

::SKRO:: Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +972 / 0 / -0
    @Black75 Are you who I think you are?? ;)

To OP. I initially liked the idea of having the option to upload my own custom liveries (cool!) but then I started thinking about the downside aspect.
    If anyone can upload whatever they want, then we might start facing people who say: this is offensive, this is annoying, this is immersion breaking etc etc...
    @Rik Fast, I think it'd be really cool to have your own company logo on in-game cars (I run a small business as well) but then what about paying for that visibility? ;)
    Custom liveries are awesome undoubtedly, but then they should be monitored somehow.
    Like submitting to a "commission" (whether is the community or S3S) and be approved or not but they should follow some guidelines...

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. shardshunt

shardshunt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +490 / 0 / -0
    just make them reportable if they get 3 offensive reports their skin gets turned off initially then reviewed by a sector 3 staff member/moderator.

• Like Like x 4
  8. Black75

Black75 Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    loool Skro, uhm... no! I'm not... me! :rolleyes:

9. Frederick Alonso

Frederick Alonso New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I do custom designs as graphic designer on my company Kontrast. It would be indeed much better to have custom liveries like I made a few for project Cars. Some sort of admin can approve the submissions or dislike them. That way the game looks good all the time. I have done classic remakes wich look very awesome, so it would be much nicer for the game itself.

10. Paul Darke

Paul Darke Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +249 / 0 / -0
    The problem I believe is in the licensing of the individual makes. So far the longest part of the process in releasing a new car/make appears to be in getting the company that owns the real car to approve the liveries for the cars. This is only a guess but I would not be surprised if those companies will not allow any other liveries. All the liveries in game that are not on the "fantasy cars" are seen in real life racing

11. Thomas Friedrich

Thomas Friedrich Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192 / 0 / -0
    I heard about this 'licensing problem' with custom skins since beginning of the discussion about it... but only from users, for me it's just a rumor...

This 'slot idea' lurks around the forum for about 2 years or longer now and no statement from the devs.

My opinion is that for competetive online leagues skins are so dearly needed. A lot of leagues are really professional... the drivers, the broadcasting, but it's hard to identify the drivers or teams, even for the commentators that mix things up from time to time. There is also the problem, that sponsored pro teams are even not allowed to take part in a league where the skin cannot represent the sponsor. Just think of the actual SimRacing Expo championship event last weekend.

I don't get it why it's a problem for Raceroom and not for iRacing, Assetto Corsa, rF2... if Raceroom should be recognized as one of the top sims alongside them, this skin topic is essential.

Perhaps a dev could give us a just a short statement on it... software problem? Licensing problem? Whatever... can we hope for custom skins on a short or long term? Are there thoughts or negotiations about it internal, with partners?

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Frankymoe

Frankymoe Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
  13. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    Well my 2 penny worth, I personally prefer to stick to real life liveries but am not opposed to teams having their own, for their own purposes, just not for general use. As for commentators then the drivers own name on the car would go a long way into solving that issue and adding a hint of individuality that so many wish for, of course this conversation has been rolling on forever, apparently the lack of our own names is solely down to how the car is modeled and the name being an actual part of the livery, JF mentioned something along those lines way back when, don't expect any movement on this until after the port to U4, where upon (so I'm led to believe) lots of long term gripes can be addressed as U4 is a lot more accommodating to tinkering. ;)

14. Thomas Friedrich

Ratings:
    +192 / 0 / -0
    Thank you @Frankymoe for the link, but this is an interview published on 04.12.2015!

@GooseCreature I like to race against 'real drivers' and real liveries too, like WTCC or DTM, but only offline. For online racing, especially community or league racing, it's essentially that there is the possibility to use custom paints... in my last post I pointed out the competition at the SimRacing Expo, but you just have to take a look at the events Sektor 3 is already pushing, the eSport events. At the moment with partners like WTCC and Mercedes/AMG, so that's ok these partners want to see their liveries on the cars, but if you want to push Raceroom more into the eSports scene generally, you got to have custom paints... and yes, perhaps the engine is the problem to realize it. But who knows. That's why I asked for a statement from the devs.

15. Kitsune Magyar

Kitsune Magyar Professional Betatester Developer

Ratings:
    +9,236 / 0 / -0
    For € 50000 we'll create a custom livery for you, to your specifications. :D

Joking aside!

I'm not 100% on all the details since I haven't done any of this myself but it all boils down to what's required "behind the scenes" to add something to the game. Depending on how we would go about adding custom livery support it could take several months at best to implement and nothing else would be done during this time.
    It's unfortunately not really realistic to add at this point in time. :C

• Informative Informative x 3
  16. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475 / 0 / -0
    ^^^^ in that case, to quote one Mr. Rose...."take it to the end of the line-ah!!"

17. Thomas Friedrich

Ratings:
    +192 / 0 / -0
    Thank you for this information. So it refers to technical reasons, that the functionality for custom liveries is not implemented... or at least it's one big aspect. Nevertheless I keep my fingers crossed that it will be within the sim one day, like the support for triple screen that was requested for a long time and was confirmed just recently....

18. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    From an end user's point of view, there is also the design decision of how the game was made.

There are quite a few people that vastly prefer only racing against real liveries, and have zero interest in seeing fake liveries, or any of the atrocious liveries you can find on iRacing for instance. Introducing custom liveries would mean those people would be forced into seeing something they would prefer to not experience.

Of course this is just 1 reason, among many as already listed.

19. ozcanuck55

ozcanuck55 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +145 / 0 / -0
    How about livery packs? Like a Bathurst 1000 2017 pack or VLN 2017 pack? Of course, you'd need to own all the cars in the pack to get the value....plus you'd have to be able to load just that pack, so you don't get other skins mixed in. That would be a good feature, making a total custom grid. This has probably been beat to death before. I'll sit down now.

20. Thomas Friedrich

Ratings:
    +192 / 0 / -0
    It all depends on how custom liveries are implemented. There could be an option for dedicated servers that allows custom liveries or not. An alternative could be to opt in visibility of custom liveries or not within the game options, so that every user could make the choice whether he wants custom liveries been shown or not. There is a lot to think about and to code for custom liveries, so I can understand the explanation from Kitsune, that it's too complex and time consuming to implement it at the moment.

• Like Like x 1