Ideal tire IMO temp range?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Topshelf147, Jan 4, 2019.

1. Topshelf147

Topshelf147 Active Member

Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    Hey guys, quick question as a newer R3e player. Trying to setup my car for a league and was wondering if there's an ideal temp spread across the tire patch. I was using 10°C IMO in a different game, but wasn't sure if that was the same here as I've had to lower my camber settings to achieve that in every GTR3 car so far. Car feels fine, but obviously I'm not looking for fine if there's an ideal temp range.

Also, I realize pressures are locked, but do the tire temps actually affect grip levels? Haven't been able to really sort out if an over or under heated tire truly changes grip level.

Thanks in advance for any clarification.

2. rad

rad Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +458 / 0 / -0
    For the first question I would summon @Alex Hodgkinson, maybe he can shed some light on that matter, at least regarding cars that he worked on (GT3s happen to be some of them).

We can't adjust pressures but they're fully simulated as far as I know. And yes, temperatures affect grip, though I think it's not as pronounced in terms of car feel as it should be. But it's not consistent across the full roster - pretty much all cars on older physics (which are called pre-Alex era cars) start with preheated tires and it requires commitment to make them cold, but they're more prone to overheat if car is being overdriven. And you probably notice that there is nearly no fluctuation in their temperature.

On new physics, tires are rather easy to keep near that optimum range, only sometimes you might get that one or two tires a bit too cold.

3. Topshelf147

Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Rad! Appreciate the info. Hopefully Alex can shed some light on the one remaining question then. Would be great to know for tuning.

4. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Are we saying old physics tyres are better simukated than new physics tyres then? The only time I see any loss of grip is immediately after an off track excursion. I've never overhead a tyre despite some pretty OTT driving at times.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. AlexBlob

AlexBlob Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +60 / 0 / -0
    The tyres got changed again around when GT2 got released, Its is defo possible to overheat the Softs GT2 tyres at a track like Suzuka. The new ones are better simulated, there are some odd characteristics in the older tyre models that I rather not speak about.

6. Alex Hodgkinson

Alex Hodgkinson KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +1,948 / 0 / -0
    Temperature for peak grip is exactly 85*c, which is what they start off at when you click drive. Ideal temp spread with the GT3 tyres; 10 degrees sounds sensible, but as they are at the moment they provide more lateral grip with more camber providing you don't overheat the inside and over cool the outside. Thus that range sounds pretty reasonable.

Temperatures do indeed effect grip. They're more affected by overheating than being below temperature, however. Feel for yourself by trying the Porsche GT3 Cup (not GT3R) which doesn't have tyre warmers.

In this day and age racing tyres can take pretty much anything you can throw at them, so you really have to go out of your way to overheat them.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  7. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Do you plan to introduce tyre pressure into the setup menu? I see using 3rd party apps that tyre pressure data is output by the game and seems to be simulated properly as it drops with tyre temperature.
    Also, while on the subject please please can you include suspension travel data in the output, it's really handy to get ride heights set up properly. Thanks

• Like Like x 1
  8. Topshelf147

Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    Thank you Alex! That answered all of my questions. Appreciate the helpful info.

Also, ride height info would be wonderful. :)

Thanks,

9. Jonathan Young

Jonathan Young Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    I think this answers some questions that I had but let me confirm! I’m hopeless at setups so just bought Setup Developer (forget the exact name) to help. In there it asks about Tyre temps across the range, but in my telemetry app, I only see one temp reading per tire. Is there a way to get 3 readings per tire? And secondly, how do I know when I’ve lowered the ride height to much? Would you just feel it in the FFB (i haven’t so far) or is there a way to get an actual readout of that?

10. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Currently the game does not output data for suspension travel so there is no way to monitor it....it's quite annoying. I'm pretty sure you can get inner mid outer readings via third party dash apps. Simhub, z1 dash, that sort of thing.

• Useful Useful x 1
  11. Jonathan Young

Jonathan Young Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    OK thanks for that, very helpful. If my car was bottoming out, would I feel it in the FFB would you think?

12. rad

rad Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +458 / 0 / -0
    You can hear it for sure. Good example is lowest point after Fuchsrohe on Nordschleife.

• Like Like x 1
  13. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    I'm currently using secondmonitor app for my timing screen and the tyre info is on there. I've never felt it through ffb, but have heard a scrape now and again.

• Like Like x 1
  14. AlexBlob

AlexBlob Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +60 / 0 / -0
    You won't feel it in the FFB due to the way that the FFB is done in RaceRoom. The only queue right now is the sound.

• Like Like x 1
  15. fufsgfen

fufsgfen Active Member

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    Is there way to see tire temps if one has none of those smart handheld things or 2nd monitor? Not that I miss much I guess, there is slightly less grip when pushing hard for several laps and clearly less on first lap, having pretty much even tire wear when I have setup car to my liking, so probably not much to worry about in terms of tire temps, but would be nice to see them.

16. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Tyre temps are usually visible on the dash in car (or using full dash on HUD) although you don't get IMO temps. You may need to assign a key/button to toggle between dash pages in control settings.

• Like Like x 1
  17. fufsgfen

fufsgfen Active Member

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    I knew I was missing something with having wheel so high it blocks whole dashboard, comfy rotating livingroom chair and kitchen table height table, it is quite horrible setup.

Thanks, found correct key assignment setting.
    I can see tire wear far right and if I peek past right side of the wheel, I can see tire temp with full HUD.

18. RWB 3vil

RWB 3vil Active Member

Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    I get lots of warnings that my tyres are pretty hot from crew chief when i drive front wheel drive cars like WTCC series. Im heavy footed and i dont do so well in these series for long driving periods. Is crew chief being over sensitive to tyre temps or am i really that lead footed? :D

19. spyshagg

spyshagg Active Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    This is the nº1 thing R3E is missing compared to AC. Tyre information and telemetry.

20. fufsgfen

fufsgfen Active Member

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    Rubber coated track is faster, so it is good to lay down layers of rubber from tires to every spot that might be slippery, like braking zones, corners, especially around and after the apex.

I did notice my front tires did loose wear bars each lap, so if yours had similar behavior, maybe we can conclude crew chief has not been informed about this 'faster' tactic :D

When racing IRL, especially at lower classes, tire information is not very realtime, you get to pits and might get some temp readings measured, which may or may not give indication of anything. It is pretty much experimental testing which gives experience which allows you to be bit less slow.

Somehow I kinda like missing data, in Raceroom I check temps and wear after few laps and if that does not show anything too alarming, I just carry on. Surely super accurate telemetry might help to get some time off from challenging corner, but doing it without data, could it be more real in some cases?

• Like Like x 1