I'm struggling to pull off a manual pitstop

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lanius1984, Feb 27, 2017.

1. Lanius1984

Lanius1984 Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    I Fired up RRRE for the first time in a few months and it seems that 'Get Real' now requires you to complete pitstops manually.

To be honest, I find it pretty difficult to remember the basic button configuration I have on my G29 as the assigned numbers don't directly relate to the button on the wheel, they have random identifiers such as button 18... not very helpful at all.

I tried to map the required pitstop controls to a few of the buttons on the wheel last night , hoping I wouldn't overwrite other controls I'd mapped as there isn't an easy way to see which button relates to which assigned number. My attempt at a stop was a complete failure, I just couldn't seem to initiate anything.
    I then mapped them to my keyboard, which in the past I used simply to hit enter to confirm the actions for a mandatory stop in something like DTM.

What I did was as follows:
    1. requested a pitstop
    2. enabled pit limiter and drove down the pit lane
    3. watched the 'distance' value, which suggested I should stop right towards the end of the pit lane
    4. stopped in front of the virtual stop sign in a pit box
    5. then nothing - I tried pressing every mapped pitstop button, but the option to 'confirm pitstop actions' above the 'cancel pitstop' button would never be selected. Press the up/down buttons would always skip over this option
    6. The one action I was able to confirm was cancelling the pitstop, I couldn't progress and actually initiate the stop.

I'm just a bit confused. Can anyone advise the simplest way to carry out a pitstop successfully?

The other question would be, as a casual player should I be using a different level of simulation rather than 'Get Real'? I don't want to compromise the physics, so if these are dumbed down at all, I wouldn't be interested. I really don't care about manual control of pitstops etc, I just want to enjoy the driving.

The problem I have is that I only play occasionally, so by the time I return to the game, I've forgotten the complex button configuration, and with no clear indication as to which assignment represents which button, it's all trial and error back out on the track. I really wish the was a visual representation of the wheel in-game showing the buttons, or at least that the buttons were actually labelled correctly with the physical labels on the wheel.

• Agree Agree x 4
  2. Karting06

Karting06 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +128 / 0 / -0
    Hello,

Before stopping at your pit box, did you clicked the equivalent of "enter" to get the value green, and thereafter confirmed it? Like on the print screen? (I tested it now for you, so it works :D)

Before driving, I made a Pit Setting (I don't know the exact name) in the start menu before driving (a bit like in Race 07/ON/...).
    Normally the first time that you go into the pit lane, you receive this: (actually, I forgot to take a screenshot of it and made a lap more, that why the time isn't logic).
    [​IMG]

Then, you choose what you want to change by clicking on it (and it changes to a green color):
    [​IMG]

Then, I confirmed everything (all that before arriving at my pit box):
    [​IMG]

Then, I stopped at my pit box, waited, and went to the track again :)
    [​IMG]

I hope that I understood your question correctly and that I was clear enough :)

Good luck,
    Kart

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Lanius1984

Lanius1984 Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the response - I don't think I was 'confirming' the selections, and maybe that is preventing the confirmation button above the cancel button from being selectable.

I think I'm going to look at ways to get away from manual stops, as it's just too fiddly for my liking. Just don't want to compromise the actual driving, so I'm hoping there is a good compromise in the game.

4. Karting06

Ratings:
    +128 / 0 / -0
    You're welcome :)
    I don't know if there are other solutions. I hadn't have many problems using it, maybe because I use the long pit lane at Spa and I have enough time to select :D

5. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Manual stops are mandatory when using Get Real. So in order to have automatic stops you need to use Amateur (which does use the exact same physics as GR, just adds a little aid on top, mainly TC).

In addition to Karting's tutorial, the easiest way is to use the pitstop presets option in the garage menu:
    2017-02-27 1136 0007.jpg 2017-02-27 1136 0009.jpg 2017-02-27 1137 0011.jpg
    The pictures should give you an idea how those work (like in Kartings description, actions that ought to be performed need to be highlighted in green (simply click on them with your mouse to toggle them on and off).
    When you request the stop you only need to chose the preset you want to use (topmost option, see Karting's pics) and confirm.

EDIT: Note that in the last picture I didn't activate refueling accidentally, so for the preset to make sense that should also be green.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    That's exactly what happened.

7. Lanius1984

Lanius1984 Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for confirming - that is a real shame though - it should be an optional detail to have manual stops, not mandatory.

As I said above, I wouldn't want to compromise the driving, and with a bit of TC, that is a compromise I don't want to make. I can even understand 'Get Real' forcing manual stop, but then the setting below needs to have the option to remove any aids from the driving, otherwise you have a big void between the 2 settings; almost like an 'all or nothing' scenario.

I will get myself set up to perform manual stops, but it is frustrating, as I tend to pick the game up at irregular intervals, so remembering the complexities is just not possible. What I end up doing each time I choose to play the game is fiddling with settings/working out how to play again, rather than enjoying the driving.

I do appreciate I'm probably in the minority here though, however a couple more settings options would really solve the issue.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Karting06

Ratings:
    +128 / 0 / -0
    Maybe, you could write the combinations down (on a small sheet of paper).
    Or some kind of post-it on your wheel?

9. Lanius1984

Lanius1984 Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Also, re. this...
    In my opinion, you shouldn't need to confirm the individual selection options, just having the correct item should be confirmation in itself.

I hope I can explain this clearly:

So before the option for slicks is 'confirmed', it is grey, but it is still the selected option... I don't feel there is need to confirm that selected option - this would save some hassle. The confirm pitstop button at the bottom effectively validates that you've selected all of the right options above it. In theory, this would allow me to simply hit enter once to confirm a stop, if all the selections were as required.

Is there any reason why you are required to firstly select the option you want (e.g. slicks), and then to press another button (confirm) to lock that choice in, rather than using the single confirmation button to lock all choices in? Seems like many extra button presses than is actually required. It also isn't clear that you have to confirm each choice in-game, which was the cause for my confusion.

10. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    It's a pain in the butt if you're not used to it, I used to regularly crash into the wall whilst trying to select pit options, knowing which series you have to turn the engine off on adds to the mayhem for me but as with everything, practice is the key and bubbles suggestion of presets is a must!
    I also found that (599 rim) using the dpad for the menu and nearest button for confirm made life a lot easier, still crap at it mind but have shaved seconds off my pit times!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    I can understand your point and agree that it would be nice to have the option, but the overwhelming number of people think that Get Real should actually mean that, to get as close to the real deal as possible. And on a sidenote, having an option for both (automatic and manual stops) in Get Real would raise a fairness issue, cause some people might feel being left at an disadvantage when they chose to keep it as real as possible while others can circumvent that added "difficulty".

Get yourself familiarised with the pitstop presets. Honestly, it's worth the couple of tries you need to get comfy with it. Note that the system will select the one that's in the #1 spot by default, so just add the one you want there. If you have that, all you need to do to pit is press the request button, first preset is selected by default so all you need to do is press the confirm button once you're in the pitlane.

12. Lanius1984

Lanius1984 Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Think this is the thing - I'm only really playing for the joy of driving, and don't want to commit to learning/perfecting pit stops.

There really needs to be an option to allow for the same driving aids as get real, but without the need for manual stops - can't see that being a difficult thing to implement (was like that before the update!)

I really have no problem with the options being there, this is a great game full features, but it is common sense to allow the user to choose which features to enable.

13. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    See above, you can have that by adding a preset with all options enabled in the #1 preset spot.
    Also, see above, equality of treatment issue.

14. Lanius1984

Lanius1984 Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, I fully understand. It makes sense. I think that's where you need to be able to remove aids from the difficulty below would be more appropriate.

When I'm playing an average of 3-4 hours a month, I really can't justify spending much, if any of it, on pitstop strategy. However, I love this game for the driving, and don't want to now step back to an 'easier' driving model simply because there is a new feature in the game.

Is there currently any way that I can manually disable to changes to the driving model below get real, so that the driving experience will be identical?

15. Lanius1984

Lanius1984 Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    I should also add to the above 'fairness' argument, that I, as I'm sure many people do, play exclusively against AI. So fairness isn't a factor to my gaming experience. The line between competitive and solo gaming is being blurred there.

16. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Nope, you cannot remove the aids from Amateur mode afaik.

But like I said above, if you just want to get the most fun out of what the game has to offer (I agree totally on wanting to use Get Real) create one preset that changes tyres and gives you a "normal" or "safe" amount of fuel and you're good to go.
    Hit request stop, drive into pitlane, hit confirm, pull into your spot, done.

17. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    That is correct. However, most system in RR have to work globally, in all modes, which makes it difficult to cater every taste.

18. Karting06

Ratings:
    +128 / 0 / -0
    And, to add, you can always write on a small paper (or post-it) which button you need to use to confirm it and to request the pit stop. So, that you don't have to search it when you are back racing :)

• Like Like x 1
  19. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Just need to remember where you put that note. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  20. Karting06

Ratings:
    +128 / 0 / -0
    Yes, true, but if you have a shifter, you can stick it on it (or on the wheel base itself) ;)