I'm struggling to pull off a manual pitstop

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lanius1984, Feb 27, 2017.

1. Lanius1984

Lanius1984 Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Thanks, I will try my best to embrace it.

It really does frustrate me when updates enforce a change to the way you are used to playing a game though. I have no issue with any of the features or the reasons they are present. Just that there should be a way to use the most realistic driving model and not have to deal with some of the more complex features in the game. I don't understand the 'all or nothing' approach to this kind of setup. As a user, it's a basic feature to be able to enable/disable features to suit my liking.

I do hope at least that this kind of feedback is listened to, as it is, in my humble opinion, a very simple fix that would not affect very much in-game.

Creating a 'custom' driving model would also be a relatively easy solution, as this would not be valid for competitions that specify 'Get Real', but would allow full flexibility to choose to play the game the way you want to. This is the sort of flex that I would be used to seeing in other SIMs, just that I happen to prefer the feel of this one on the track.

2. Lanius1984

Lanius1984 Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    I think I will resort to this - I can't see what buttons do what in-game without deciphering the code of the numbering system, so I guess pen and paper is the most sophisticated answer.
    I am at least sure that button 4 means my 'triangle' button now though, so I am making progress!

First world problems :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    The devs read most of the stuff on here, and when there's something we testers think needs to beheard we can forward it directly to them. Which is what I did with this conversation, so they are aware of your opinion and suggestion.

Maybe a custom model for single player mode is sth they can work towards in the future, doesn't sound impossible to me. But don't hold your breath for that to happen soonish.

All the best luck with getting into the groove with the pitstops

Christian

4. Karting06

Karting06 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +128 / 0 / -0
    Maybe, this could help you for labeling?
    I don't know if I can link to the original forum with the labels? (I find it with Google, fyi)
    [​IMG]

5. MarcG

MarcG Active Member

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    This is where the system falls short for me, having to confirm when you're in Pit Lane. We should be able to confirm it long before as if you have one of the first Pit Boxes you're faffing about with buttons the second you enter Pit Lane....and with an HMD on this isn't an easy task :p
    After all in real life the Driver only worries about the Pit Lane Speed Limiter button, not cycling through a menu system hurriedly looking for the Confirm button, so I believe it should be made a simple as it can be for the user - currently it's needlessly excessive. :)

• Agree Agree x 4
  6. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    AfaIk making it auto-confirm or enabling confirmation before entering the pits is more complicated than it might sound, so there won't be an immediate change to how the system works in general.
    However, a minor change is planned in that department which should make pitting a tad easier.

But still, I can only recommend making use of presets.

7. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475 / 0 / -0
    I hear you man on the button memorization. Ive finally had success using one g27 button for pit limiter, and then for L/R/U/D and selection, i just use keyboard arrow keys and enter...hard to forget those. With those controls mapped i can normally get through a pit stop fairly smoothly.

By the way, id give it a few more tries. While pitting was never an aspiration of mine to do or get good at, there is some inherent satisfaction in a well executed pitstop...which once you get the hang of it, is not such a pain in the rear. Good luck.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Unbenannt1.JPG
    Oh and just for the record, best abbreviated thread title ever. :D

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. higsy

higsy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +123 / 0 / -0
    I need to practice these as I too ran into the same problems.. which are the most important buttons to bind to a button box ?
    menu up and down , pit select ,pit speed. anything else? what is used to confirm ?is it the return on the keyboard ?
    thanks

10. Karting06

Ratings:
    +128 / 0 / -0
    Unfortunately, I cannot make a screen due to maintenance to show my settings to you...
    You can also bind a button for the equivalent of enter on the keyboard :)

11. higsy

higsy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +123 / 0 / -0
    ok. think that's one problem I have as my enter key is bound to reset. ;)

12. Karting06

Ratings:
    +128 / 0 / -0
    Haha, it could be funny to see what happens!

13. higsy

higsy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +123 / 0 / -0
    it was funny last night as I was coming down pit road and my son is watching me during a multi race ,I'm trying to select ,freak out,get frustrated etc. I eventually hit the end of pit road wall after missing my stop.. a real pro!!!!

• Funny Funny x 2
  14. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    this is what i have mapped on my bmw rim fanatec
    yellow select/confirm green/pit in red /pit limiter

then on the right stick i have up/down more/less
    i depend on the presets which i have a few depending on what i need

so out on track , green button brings up menu , i have time to select the preset ; if i need to change anything its the right stick and yellow button , flying into pit lane with tyres on fire , hit the red button
    cross the line hit the yellow button

woop

Andi

15. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475 / 0 / -0
    I should probably start using the pit request but to keep it simple i dont bother.

Here how it goes down for me...

1.approach pit lane.
    2. Just before the line designating pit speed limit, i hit the pit limiter button (mapped on my wheel) once to turn it on and slow down.
    3. Pit menu automatically appears once driving in pit lane
    4. While approaching my designated pit area, use arrow keys and press Enter to confirm preselected preset, thats already selected. Menu goes away.
    5. Stop in correct area, yell at crew to hurry up.....
    6. Drive off, turn off pit limiter if still on.

16. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    you really should, cause
    is not as effective as letting them know in advance that you'll be coming in. (Seriously, you lose sth like 4 seconds if you don't.)

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475 / 0 / -0
    No joke, i really never would have guessed that...nice touch from s3. Thanks for heads up.

18. Karting06

Ratings:
    +128 / 0 / -0
    If you think about it, it's logic.
    They are not as fast as in F1 :)

19. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475 / 0 / -0
    Oh i hear you, makes perfect sense, i was just surprised to find out s3 went so far as to build in this logic, especially given lack of flags and other more obvious logic.

20. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    there are flags , its just you have to guess which one is the correct one waving in the stands

Andi

• Funny Funny x 1