I'm struggling to pull off a manual pitstop

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lanius1984, Feb 27, 2017.

1. Eddie Ellis

Eddie Ellis Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Sadly I will have to accept a slightly slower pit stop, as my eyes don't see the contrast between yellow and green or yellow and white very well. So the outline for the selections in the pit options are sometimes un-readable for me. Add to that the way the the selection jumps around depending on there you are in the pit lane or track. Sometimes moving to the next selection goes two spaces and skips the confirmation box completely. The outline around the selection would need to be 3 times as wide and bright red or purple for me to use it.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Cypher

Cypher Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    This! I too am struggling to see which item is selected. It's crazy that no-one EVER thinks of colourblind people. Literally ever, in a medium which so heavily relies on colours. I've only seen a handful of games implementing some colour selectors or specific colourblind modes.

• Informative Informative x 2
  3. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    I agree that it can be overwhelming at first, but as I said before in here, getting familiar with and making use of presets reduces navigating to a bearable minimum. Once you've established a routine you can (almost) do it without really looking what you're actually doing.

Which doesn't really help people who have troubles distinguishing certain colours, cause in the end you need to be sure you're clicking the right button. I agree that it's a shame there's so few games that take this condition into consideration when building UIs. I think we've been talking about this in the past and I've put in a formal suggestion to create alternative colour schemes, maybe one day there'll be time to consider adding sth in that regard. Sadly UI implementation remains one of the biggest bottlenecks, hopefully one day that'll change.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. mr_belowski

mr_belowski Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    Have you guys tried crew chief? Even if you don't want some random geezer talking at you, you can still use the app's pit command macros to automate some of the pitstop menu interactions

5. William Wester

William Wester Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +70 / 0 / -0
    I haven't tried using CC for pitstop functions, I may give it a shot. It's not that pitstops are brain-surgery but for me I jump between many different sims - each has their own "simple" methods. I use VoiceAttack for DCS (I have about 40 different commands/phrases defined) but even though it makes it easy to carry out a series of commands I still forget the exact syntax of some commands if I haven't fired up the game recently.
    I know if I spent more time in R3E I could get the pitstop sequence down pat but this issue continually resurfaces - that must mean it's a bigger issue than many veterans understand. It could be simplified a little without losing any simulation value - window pops up with the default preset, if nothing is touched the pitstop is completed. If a change is wanted, then an override is an option - simple-simon!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Jorgen Wahlby

Jorgen Wahlby Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    Implement the use of the mouse cursor in game would make a big difference. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. GregoryLeo

GregoryLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +360 / 0 / -0
    Where do I look to learn how CC's command macros?

8. Paul Darke

Paul Darke Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +249 / 0 / -0
    I think there is some help in the CC help file but not sure.

9. dante3003

dante3003 Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    I tend to forget the confirm button quite often, but when I am using pit stops I am mostly doing GT races and therefore set a minimum timer of 60secs, so even if I forget to confirm I can still do it while standing. The lost time does not matter then.
    I also need to try CC for this. Can you actually confirm the stop with your voice? That's basically all I would want.

10. Karting06

Karting06 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +128 / 0 / -0
    Yes (I didn't test it)

• Like Like x 1
  11. Luís de Gomes

Luís de Gomes Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Hi guys!

I was using Voice Attack... and now I just use Crew Chief with voice commands... and... its the simplest thing I've used so far.
    I just have to click a button and say voice commands!

Read a few lines at Crew Chief help and you will be ready for it too...

12. mr_belowski

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    Yes you can, but with CC you don't actually need to confirm the pitstop actions yourself. The default configuration is for the app to confirm automatically. The app detects when you cross the pit limiter line, and presses the pit-menu-select button to confirm for you

• Like Like x 3
  13. ndwthx1138

ndwthx1138 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0

Raceroom and assetto corsa really should be paying you.. this is awesome and I did not realize this was possible.. I will try and figure it out this weekend. Many thanks

NathanW

• Like Like x 1
  14. dante3003

dante3003 Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    OK, I am trying it out right now, but I can't get the chief to do anything pit stop related. In the help file all the pit commands seem to be iRacing only?
    And if I just request the pitstop via the press of a button I still need to confirm manually by pressing a button.

I guess I am missing something....maybe something very obvious....help me :)

EDIT: OK, I think I just found my problem. The console says it presses the keys R then pause and then Key Q...
    I guess because I changed those to my button box it won't trigger the pitstop.

15. mr_belowski

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    • Like Like x 1
    • Wonderful Wonderful x 1
  16. dante3003

dante3003 Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Thats bloody awesome! It now works.....why didn't I try this earlier? Donation incoming.....

• Like Like x 1
  17. Jorgen Wahlby

Jorgen Wahlby Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    Okey I'w been silent about this "pit thingy hassle" but I just can't seem to get it right or understand what or how in what order I have to make it work. I had a race this evening where I had a stop and go penalty for going of track as I avoided a wreck with 4-5 cars in front of me. With entering the pits the "preset" pitstop page jumps up and I've had it set with 10L fuel and repair. I didn't want fuel or repair so I aborted the pitstop.... Where the heck is the Stop and Go penalty box :confused: I think I went in 3 times but got disqualified because of not serving the stop and go. I have my keyboard on the floor beside me so it's a bit of a hassle to get it up in my knee find the right keys in the dark or dim light in the evening aso... Just pisses me off that it have to be so awkward with the pitstop and penalty. Sorry just had to get this off my chest :mad: (end rant)

"Whats the difference between Pit request toggle and the Pit menu toggle?" When I am driving I don't want to have multiple choices... I want a yes or no and confirm.

Just read a bit higher up in this thread and Oops :oops:... why didn't I do that earlier. Problem solved... I hope :cool: It did work just now on a public server when I was alone with the CC command, I hope it will work later on in a race as well :D

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
  18. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    Basically, you need to have buttons mapped for requesting a pit stop, moving up or down the menu, and then a button to 'select' your choices. You dont need your keyboard for this, but I have these buttons mapped to mine because it is right there.

If you have a penalty, such as a stop & go, you MUST scroll through the pit menu and select the penalty being served when you open it manually, or when it opens automatically when you enter the pit lane. After you highlight the penalty, you must confirm the choice. Highlight it in green, then scroll down to confirm. Then, go to your pit box and serve it.

Without doing that, the game doesnt register that you are serving the penalty. It just thinks you arent making any choices, so it is waiting for you to make your selections. Even if you go to your box, wait the 5 seconds or however long, and leave... it will not count unless you confirm it in the pit menu.

Pit request toggle, does as it says. It requests a pit stop. When you click that button, the pit menu appears on the right side of the screen. If you request your pitstop on a straight half way through the lap, that pit menu may hinder your view, so you may want to close it.

To do that, map a button for pit menu toggle. This will close the pit menu. If you click 'pit request toggle' a 2nd time, this will CANCEL your pit stop. So if you request a stop, make your selections, then click pit request toggle a 2nd time, you will cancel your stop. Personally, I never use pit menu toggle as I never have a need for it.

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. Karting06

Karting06 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +128 / 0 / -0
    @BrunoB I agree with you that it's complicated for something simple.
    I agree that the cancel button is annoying as hell and unnecessary as hell. That the pit confirm button should confirm automatically when you stop at your space.

But, in the past, you couldn't even make a manual pit stop. AI took from you over in the pits, it was also stupid. Now, you can at least do it manually.

But now, we can only try to help you with the hassle.

• Informative Informative x 1
  20. Eddie Ellis

Eddie Ellis Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    The way I handle it is to only race in servers that use "slow down" penalties. If I get a drive through in a race, I just quit the server and race somewhere else.

• Useful Useful x 1